We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Loans Direct UK [text removed by MSE Forum Team] Processing Fee

Options

Comments

• Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    notstupid wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest the best way to get the word out and warn against these people, I'm not used to doing stuff like this, but I'm so angry!!!
    Well your post has joined about a million others on here (and similar financial based forums) warning about this but as you are testament, nobody ever researches anything first.

It's much more the preferred option to pay the random fees, dish out debit card details etc to anyone and everyone and THEN start researching if it was a good idea.

The £100 would have most likely been requested via uKash vouchers or similar which is completely impossible to retrieve.

Who are Quick Loans anyhow, do you have a website link?
    If so, we may be able to help him get a refund of his "joining fee".

Your Husbands first mistake was paying a fee to join this nonsense. As he is discovering, all they did was to farm out his details to scammers. They will do no more than this.

No matter how desperate he is, Google will NOT find him a loan, nor will a random cold call he receives on the phone number he gave out, nor via an email.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Hi, this is the first time I've used a forum, and I couldn't work out how to post a new thread, so I'll reply in this one as it is closest to my subject matter.

Today my husband was called by a company called wizard loans, they got his details from quick loans, which he joined, so fair enough so far.

A man called Mr Martin with a thick Indian accent explained he could borrow £2000 as long as he paid the insurance payment of £100. He was obviously really pleased as he hasn't found a loan yet, but he doesn't have experience with this type of thing at all, massive alarm bells were ringing for me though.

I called them back on the number they gave 0161 818 7505 to ask some questions. He told me that wizardloans were the lender and that he would send my husband the loan agreement by email.

The agreement did come by email, from a Yahoo dress, all of the loan details were typed into the body of the email, and they had attached their terms and conditions, but not a wizard loans logo in site.

The real wizardloans are not a lender but an agent, but clearly state on their website that they do not take upfront fees. This mob are pretending to be them, and they will probably be using other legitimate companies as cover too.

Can anyone suggest the best way to get the word out and warn against these people, I'm not used to doing stuff like this, but I'm so angry!!!

Hopefully, your husband didn't give out any credit or debit card details. If he did, the money is gone.

This type of scam has been highlighted on this forum many times.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • notstupid
    notstupid Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2014 at 8:51PM
    Options
    Apples2, apologies, I didn't make it clear, we didn't pay this as you are right, and I'm sorry if this causes offence to anyone but you would have to be stupid (I'm including hubby in that category as if I wasn't there he would have paid it).

I was asking for advice on getting the word out as these guys are proper scammers.

Ive already got the info I need though, trading standards and financial ombudsmen, police don't care unless you have actually been scammed, typical eh!!

Lol, I wouldn't have chosen that user name if he'd fallen for it!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apples2, apologies, I didn't make it clear, we didn't pay this as you are right, and I'm sorry if this causes offence to anyone but you would have to be stupid (I'm including hubby in that category as if I wasn't there he would have paid it).

I was asking for advice on getting the word out as these guys are proper scammers.

Ive already got the info I need though, trading standards and financial ombudsmen, police don't care unless you have actually been scammed, typical eh!!

Lol, I wouldn't have chosen that user name if he'd fallen for it!

Until people stop handing card details over then these guys will continue to do what they do.
  • notstupid
    notstupid Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, this is probably my fault for not making myself clearer- we did not give this particular company any information whatsoever. They must have somehow retrieved the info from quick loans, who were legitimately paid to source a loan. We now obviously know that companies like quick loans do absolutely nothing but give out your info to all and sundry, so we will be issuing them with a complaint because of it.

I'm not saying we were scammed by quick loans, OK, its unethical, but its your own fault if you don't find out before you pay them what type of company they are. My husband stupidly signed up for their service and paid them, believe me he's learnt his lesson!

I'm talking about scammers getting hold of this info (I intend to find out why quick loans info to them) and then calling posing as wizard loans trying to get £100 for a 'guaranteed' loan. Out and out fraud compared to just unethical.

I simply want to warn people, Any other ideas of the best ways, as I said, police only interested if the scam was successful, which it wasn't in our case, I just want to put a warning out.

Thanks
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Sorry, this is probably my fault for not making myself clearer- we did not give this particular company any information whatsoever. They must have somehow retrieved the info from quick loans, who were legitimately paid to source a loan. We now obviously know that companies like quick loans do absolutely nothing but give out your info to all and sundry, so we will be issuing them with a complaint because of it.

I'm not saying we were scammed by quick loans, OK, its unethical, but its your own fault if you don't find out before you pay them what type of company they are. My husband stupidly signed up for their service and paid them, believe me he's learnt his lesson!

I'm talking about scammers getting hold of this info (I intend to find out why quick loans info to them) and then calling posing as wizard loans trying to get £100 for a 'guaranteed' loan. Out and out fraud compared to just unethical.

I simply want to warn people, Any other ideas of the best ways, as I said, police only interested if the scam was successful, which it wasn't in our case, I just want to put a warning out.

Thanks

At least you should try to recoup whatever money your husband paid them (less a fiver) by following the Terms & Conditions on their website. DLTBGAWI - Don't let the bu**ers get away with it!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • notstupid
    Options
    You know what, I think I will. I wasn't going to take any action against quick loans, but they have given fraudsters access to our home telephone number.

I know we haven't been scammed, and I caught it in time, but its making my blood boil. My dad is seriously ill and I was made redundant just before Christmas. These people have no idea how what they are doing can affect people. We could have given them the precious money we have left, for their greed.

Thank God we didn't!
  • notstupid
    Options
    Apples2 wrote: »
    Well your post has joined about a million others on here (and similar financial based forums) warning about this but as you are testament, nobody ever researches anything first.

It's much more the preferred option to pay the random fees, dish out debit card details etc to anyone and everyone and THEN start researching if it was a good idea.

The £100 would have most likely been requested via uKash vouchers or similar which is completely impossible to retrieve.

Who are Quick Loans anyhow, do you have a website link?
    If so, we may be able to help him get a refund of his "joining fee".

Your Husbands first mistake was paying a fee to join this nonsense. As he is discovering, all they did was to farm out his details to scammers. They will do no more than this.

No matter how desperate he is, Google will NOT find him a loan, nor will a random cold call he receives on the phone number he gave out, nor via an email.

Apples2, I'm sorry I have to say this, but your post was very very unhelpful, you should maybe read peoples posts thoroughly before you comment, especially as you are asked to be nice to new people.
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    Apples2, I'm sorry I have to say this, but your post was very very unhelpful, you should maybe read peoples posts thoroughly before you comment, especially as you are asked to be nice to new people.
    I did read it and despite your words, it has still taken a number of replies to your post before you have grasped the fact that your husband HAS BEEN SCAMMED.

He willingly paid this joining fee rubbish. He REQUESTED they send his details to as many poor credit loan companies they can find, many of which will be plain thieves and not even registered companies (Quick Loans can use Google too you know!)

Quick Loans (or whoever they are) have complied exactly with your husbands demands, in essence, he got exactly what he paid for.

I've tried to get this point across and also requested you give us the website address so we can help you get a refund but as we continue down the page you still haven't revealed it.

The Police have better things to do with our money than devote many man hours trying to correct your husbands poor decisions. It is quite rightly a Civil Matter.

Scams exist all around us, these websites exist because people use desperation as an excuse to believe any old "too good to be true" promises spouted on the screen or down the phone.

Give us the Website and we will help you get your money back.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options

Apples2 was not being unhelpful, he was simply telling the truth.

He also suggesting that help could be given to retrieve the money your husband has already paid - just like I did, and you have thanked me!

Apples2 has given many newcomers on this forum a great deal of help (as you can see from his profile), and he was trying to help you and your husband too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport