Wedding Tips start here...

Options

Comments

• jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    allie226 wrote:
    Just out of interest, I was wondering whether Jo_B has been in to Debenhams to use her voucher yet?

Allie
    xx

I can't work out whether you are being sarcastic because I keep harping on about the Debenhams gift voucher or are genuinely interested! :D

I haven't tried to use it yet. Had a busy week at work last week and my son's been ill this weekend. Hoping to pop in on Tues lunchtime. :)
  • pookie
    pookie Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    julybride wrote:
    And as an aside maybe useful to know:

□ If you are both changing your names change the males name by ‘Deed Poll’ before the wedding this way by marrying him you take the same name and don’t pay the £80ish it costs twice.

julybride, i don't know anything about changing my name- what did you mean by getting the male's name changed before the wedding (sounds stupid but surely he won't be changing his name- i'll be taking his)?
    :A
  • Callisto
    Callisto Posts: 928 Forumite
    Options
    pookie wrote:
    julybride wrote:
    And as an aside maybe useful to know:

□ If you are both changing your names change the males name by ‘Deed Poll’ before the wedding this way by marrying him you take the same name and don’t pay the £80ish it costs twice.

julybride, i don't know anything about changing my name- what did you mean by getting the male's name changed before the wedding (sounds stupid but surely he won't be changing his name- i'll be taking his)?

If you are both double-barrelling the surnames (for example, the male's surname is Smith and the female's is Jones, so the surname for both will be Smith-Jones.

The easiest way to do this is for the male to change from Smith to Smith-Jones by deed poll before the wedding, the bride can call herself Mrs Smith-Jones from the wedding day as the woman is then entitled to use the man's surname. If the man does not change his surname before the wedding, then the man AND woman will both have to change by deed poll if they want the double-barrelled name.

If you are taking your hubby to be's name and don't want to double-barrel your names, then you don't need to do anything as once you are married, you can take his name. I can't wait to lose my surname (never really liked it!) and gain a nice new one. :D
  • maggiesoup
    Options
    What does &amp mean?
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    Options
    it's when the computer program doesn't recognise a simple &
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
  • allie226
    allie226 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    jo_b wrote:
    I can't work out whether you are being sarcastic because I keep harping on about the Debenhams gift voucher or are genuinely interested! :D

Oh no, I'm not being sarky, I'm genuinely interested - but sorry to hear your son was ill :-(

Allie
    xxx
    £160 in £2 coins saved so far!
    Wedding went off ok (phew!), saving up for autumn holiday and house move now!
  • angeleyes
    angeleyes Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    we are planning on getting married in aug 07, maybe in a church but have no idea on how much it will be we live in Liverpool can anyone throw any light onto how muach this will cost

Thanks
  • Tondella
    Tondella Posts: 934 Forumite
    Options
    Hi angel eyes, it really depends on what you want to spend! People on here have got married for under a grand, others have spent more but got the best deal for the money they are spending. Some general rules: weekday weddings cheaper than weekend, off season weddings are cheaper than summer weddings, later weddings are cheaper than early in the day weddings (because you normally have to feed and water your guests twice if you have them all day). The national average price for a wedding dress is quoted at £700-£900 but Asda's George are selling them for £60. The more bridesmaids and attendants you have the more you will have to pay, ditto the more guests you invite. You might consider things like nice transport to the wedding, flowers, videographer, professional photographer, to be essential or expensive extras.

The main areas of expenditure are
    outfits
    food
    drink
    venue

so have a think about what you want in the way of these things and you can ask more specifically for what other people on this board have paid. This thread is very long but if you have the time to work through it first it may give you some ideas. Finally, I would suggest starting your own thread (there is a button called new thread at the top of the marriages, relationships, family board) and repeat your question there, then we can dedicate an entire thread to our answers. Good luck and congratulations!
    Debt Oct 2005: £32,692.94
    Current debt: £14,000.00
    Debt free date: June 2008
  • Mup_2
    Mup_2 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Just to let you know my new Prima mag has pattern for the above (bit late for me!) but thought others might want to pick a material and have them 'run up' by a steamstress (unless you're pretty handy with a sewing machine and save even more £!
    Mup.
  • PinkLady
    PinkLady Posts: 675 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can anyone recommend somewhere that I can get some nice (cheap!) bubbles and favour boxes?
    Thanks
    SW: Wk1 (5) Wk2 (2.5) Wk3 - Wk 4 (4) Wk 5 - (1.5) Wk 6 (1) Total off 1 stone!:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure