Comments

• jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    alison6692 wrote:
    I am sure you have seen this site but just incase

www.weddingpath.com

Then you design your own website with info about accomodation and maps etc - This will help keep your invite info to a minimum. It should also save your time and energy as most people will be able to access the info they need through your site.

What a lovely site! Thanks for sharing. :)

I am just in the process of designing our own wedding website! :j
  • ems2
    ems2 Posts: 665 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hopefully someone can offer me some ideas..

I am getting married in September and have chosen brighton as the place I would like to get married, BUT I am stuck as to where to find a venue that isnt riducoulsy priced! can anyone help w ith ideas of reception venues that wont break my budget, or does not tie you into food/drinks packages

Cheers,
  • november
    november Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ems

Have you tried the local council's website for approved venues. Link here

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=c1000535

as I've got to be rather an expert (haha) in searching local authority sites (easiest way seems to be alphabetical, then m for marriage)

I got my ideas from my council's website where all the approved venues are listed. Then I google/yahoo searched for more info by hotel (or whatever) name if there wasn't a link to a web page. I then emailed/phoned for a brochure which has costs on it.

Or if you are getting married in a registry office you could always hire a hall for the reception or a local community centre. Community centres are often cheaper than hotels and have bars. Some allow you to bring in your own catering and some don't but they don't do 'wedding packages' generally speaking.

I'm going for the 'everything in one place' option to make things easier for travelling relatives (oh ok and me). Its amazing how the word 'wedding' hikes up prices. I've found some places are more reasonable than others though e.g. smaller pubs.

Good luck and best wishes for the wedding :D
    I live in my own little world. But it's okay. They know me here.
  • tiger_-_lilly_4
    Options
    I'm getting maried August the 19th 06. I have decided that after my friends wedding 2 years ago, (which was about 20k in total) that i would make sure our wedding was as good, but with a fraction of the cost. I am hoping it to be about 4 thousand in total!!

I have been buying as i go, so ther is no major big bills at any one time, which is always helpful, and also i have been buying of ebay. I have brought our cake stand, and tiararas, presents for the best man, adn bridsmaids, flowers, and I am even going to buy my dress adn the 3 bridsmaid dresses off of there. There are people that make dresses as a hobby and sell on ebay, and i have found a fantastic dress fro 115 quid, adn 3 x bridsmaid dresses for a total of 150 quid. (sorry, my pound sign doesn't work) they all can be made to measure for 5 pounds each extra, and the dresses all look fantastic, just like in the wedding shops. The best bit is, you can always find someone to help alter them if needed, and your are saving a bundle!!!!

You can always find someone to help out.... our bestman has a ferrari 360, and a top of the range RangeRover so that is our cars sorted! He has also go a house somewhere idealistic, in the sun, which will be our honeymoon location! (it is top secret from me as a supprise!!!) How annoying!!

Congratulation to everyone getting married this year, and good luck!
    "if you don't have the money, then dont buy it - save for it" :A
    credit cards and store cards are like chocolate, once hooked, never parted.
  • november
    november Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose I ought to add I'm getting married either this year or next year lol

I haven't fixed the date yet. Waiting to find out availability and had no fixed idea in mind as long as we actually get round to it

I am hoping to do the whole thing for £1-2K and am moaning about spending that much ;) I must keep track to see if I make it.

I've got my dress already - had it 4 years :o (been engaged a long time). It was my first ever ebay purchase and isn't exactly a traditional wedding dress being medieval in style but suits me :D I have been considering a tiara from ebay since finding an earlier thread on here.

I've got a professional photographer friend who has volunteered to do the photos :D Probably with a digital so I can email them to interested parties!

Invites - I have a design package at home and a business printer that can do double sided printing. My OH did our Xmas cards for work on it and they were fine. Sorted as thats one job he can do!

Car - I'm driving myself despite the comments I've received so far. I don't drink and am a control freak! Besides its only going to end up in a hotel car park so I can't see how it matters.

Bridesmaids - my daughter is refusing to be one so I may do without :(

Cake - Am seriously comtemplating not having one. I don't really like cake and they charge in most places to cut it.

Venue - still shopping around. I want an 'other venue' as they call them and this is my only extragance as I want my relatives from various areas of the country not to have to travel any more when they get here.

What I do want is a wedding followed by lunch for the rellys some of whom will be returning home afterwards - probably a buffet as it seems cheaper and less fussy food which fits in better with various dietary needs. Then I want an evening party as I've never had one and will probably never have another. Probably with buffet again for all my friends. Wedding will be family only with the exception of my photographer and partner if he wants to come.

I may not sound very traditional or very romantic to some people but I am a mature bride and its my day and this time I'm doing it my way as the saying goes :D Fortunately my husband-to-be is in agreement ;)

Glad someone pointed me in the direction of this thread - found some very good tips so far!
    I live in my own little world. But it's okay. They know me here.
  • jsg_2
    jsg_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I've hired my bridesmaid outfits. I got so fed up with people whingeing about different shapes and styles and needing to get things adjusted. The shop I'm using charges £50 per dress and includes tiaras and adjustments. The bridesmaids have to turn up 2weeks before the wedding and try them on and I don't need to worry any more.
    I've got my sister to pick her own shoes and am buying them for her as a birthday present; which is money I would already spend.
    I'm not having full posies for all the bridesmaids - just a single stem rose wrapped with ivy each (£7:50 each)
    I bought some scented candles in the sales for each table and am spending £15 on red and white rose petals. The total cost of my table decorations is coming to about £40.
    For the favours I've ordered lovehearts - you can get 100packs saying "just married" on each one online for about £35 and 200packs for £60 plus delivery of £7.
    I know none of that is dirt cheap, but it helps.

I also spoke to a woman who organised her wedding in 16days. She asked all the guests to pay for their own meal at a restaurant instead of bringing gifts, bought a nice white dress and I think a cake from a supermarket.

And finally one of my friends found a wedding dress in Oxfam.

Hope that helps
  • Mup_2
    Mup_2 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Just a note re: people considering scented candles for reception - they may be off putting if a little strong when eating. Maybe consider 'normal' tea lights (which are cheaper and no odour) and use flowers sparsley (if you want them) to create a delicate smell.

By the way, saw a lovely idea in a shop re: wedding cake. The top layer was stacked on bottom layer but not on pillars, it was on a square glass vase (seen similar in Morrison's for a couple of quid) and filled with rose petals. It looked lovely (just an idea...)

It's interesting to read different people's take on their day and helping to (hopefully) save some £!
  • scruffy96uk
    scruffy96uk Posts: 2,925 Forumite
    Options
    If you live any where near Edinburgh and are looking for a cheap wedding dress try Brides by Appointment, Gorgie Road, Edinburgh

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/brides_by_appointment.htm

I went and the staff are really friendly, I never got a dress there but all the same they were lovely!!

I got my dress in Rue Lafayette, St Enoch centre, Glasgow. Really nice dresses at low prices.
    http://www.ruelafayette.co.uk/aboutus.htm

Hope this is of some help to someone. :p
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion
    Ellie 25/12/07
  • traciemk
    Options
    getting married on 12th august 2006.....
    its my second wedding but my partners first wedding....
    we are trying to get married on a very tight budget ie (£1,000)
    right i will explain the day so far and if anyone can help me with ideas of what im meant to have or not............
    1. who pay for bestman suit? my partner wants both of his brothers to be bestmen. do we pay for there suit(black suit)or do they?

getting married in register office at 12.30pm

having evening disco in a pub/club which my parents are paying for £600

what do i do with guest in the afternoon? my mum suggest they all go back to her house for nibbles/drinks or i suggested we go for sit down meal in local pub but i ask everyone to pay for there own meal(£10 a 3 course meal) my mum said that seems cheeky to ask guests to do that....
    what sounds the better options to have

im worried with only having £1,000 to spend for whole wedding im cutting corners
    photographers is £200
    my dress tira shoes £100
    bridemaids bits £100
    food for evening buffet £300
    flowers £100
    cars using our own
    registers office £100
    drink to toast everyone £100
    my parents have said at a wedding you great guests when they get there with a drink? do you or not?
    bareing in mind thats all the money gone
    so no money for rings, baloollons and decs for nighttime pub.
    also regarding wedding pressie list i thought of hoilday vouchers so we can have a little hoilday after the wedding my parents have said its cheecky to ask for presents you should be gratful for what you get.
    can any one offer any ideas what i should do about all this please
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure your mum would love to prepare the nibbles and drinks etc. If you prefer the pub meal why not say that in lieu of gifts if people could pay for their meal instead? That saves them the hassle of deciding what to buy and the shopping expedition.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure