Possible to avoid having card-reader on Nationwide Flex account?

Comments

• Jew
    Jew Posts: 276 Forumite
    luci wrote: »
    I did 6 transactions to existing payees last night and was asked for the card reader for every one of them. If I'd know I would have signed on with the card reader.

Maybe you should contact Nationwide?
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I rarely ever sign in with my card-reader, and I didn't today.

Just made a payment from my Flexaccount to someone I have paid several times before, last time 3 weeks ago. Payment was in the low hundreds, and I was asked to use the card-reader.

I then paid someone else who I had only paid once before, about 10 months ago. The amount was just over £1.1K. No card-reader needed.

A further payment of a mere £16.87 to someone who I had last paid last week required the card reader again.

There's no doubt some system behind it but for the customer, it's quite unpredictable. Not that it matters to me that I sometimes have to use the card-reader - - in fact, quite the contrary. I find it quite re-assuring that there's no obvious pattern to when the card-reader is needed. Makes it so much more difficult for any fraudster to empty out Flexaccounts
  • Jew
    innovate wrote: »
    I rarely ever sign in with my card-reader, and I didn't today.

Just made a payment from my Flexaccount to someone I have paid several times before, last time 3 weeks ago. Payment was in the low hundreds, and I was asked to use the card-reader.

I then paid someone else who I had only paid once before, about 10 months ago. The amount was just over £1.1K. No card-reader needed.

A further payment of a mere £16.87 to someone who I had last paid last week required the card reader again.

There's no doubt some system behind it but for the customer, it's quite unpredictable. Not that it matters to me that I sometimes have to use the card-reader - - in fact, quite the contrary. I find it quite re-assuring that there's no obvious pattern to when the card-reader is needed. Makes it so much more difficult for any fraudster to empty out Flexaccounts

...thing is, I think it's safe to assume we're all pretty advanced users here — we don't use the same password for several things, have a complicated one, don't log on to random computers before checking for key loggers, don't fall for phishing, etc. — I don't get why we're forced to use these card readers.

There should be some sort of internet security proficiency test :D
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jew wrote: »
    ...thing is, I think it's safe to assume we're all pretty advanced users here — we don't use the same password for several things, have a complicated one, don't log on to random computers before checking for key loggers, don't fall for phishing, etc. — I don't get why we're forced to use these card readers.

There should be some sort of internet security proficiency test :D

The fraudsters have all passed all conceivable internet security test already.

As annoying as it is that we have to use that retro-calculator-security-thingy with some banks, it's actually in our favour.

Just as annoying as it is having to take your shoes off,or being intimately screened, when going through airport security. It's the criminals that force those seemingly unneccessary security checks on us, and only by going through them all are we -reasonably- safe.

Also, the banks have to cater for the not-so-advanced users, and they can't tell who of us is advanced and who isn't.
  • Jew
    edited 21 August 2012 at 9:53PM
    I meant a proficiency test for us, to differentiate who needs to use the calculator and who doesn't :D

Also, regarding airport security, there's a lot of practices, like the recent fullbody scanners which are a total scam. For example, here's a simple way how to get past them, and there's no wonder why Israeli airports don't use them (they have some of the best security in the world).

The sick thing is how much money has been poured into them, and that they carry health risks.

In the US, you can at least have the option to refuse them and get a thorough pat down instead, in the UK, they won't let you fly otherwise — so you have to subject your body to a type of radiation that still hasn't been proven as safe and actually carries risks (new ones have been banned by the EU); and it's all for nothing, because they are ineffective.

Went a bit off topic there :P
  • Plxply
    Plxply Posts: 594 Forumite
    Jew wrote: »
    I meant a proficiency test for us, to differentiate who needs to use the calculator and who doesn't :D

I would say the additional security applies to everyone, no matter how skilled you are at spotting a fraud if someone really wanted to access your accounts (and placed a large amount of time and effort into it) they could. Granted they could also just come into your house with a knife and demand you do a transfer, but the risk of a targeted attack is always possible.

I personally wouldn't mind having an opt out, but then you therefore accepting all liability for any fraud committed on your account through internet banking. I would laugh to see the threads made by people.
  • Jew
    Plxply wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't mind having an opt out, but then you therefore accepting all liability for any fraud committed on your account through internet banking. I would laugh to see the threads made by people.

I wouldn't mind.
  • coupleuk
    coupleuk Posts: 399 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I never use my card reader with my Flex account. Log in with memorable data instead. From memory, the login is on right hand side of page.

Ive always used the above method too - hate the "calculator thing" - especially when I want to login on my laptop whilst on the road.

However, the "memorable data" option appears to have changed today.

I now have to use one of three memorable items and a passnumber.

I was unable to access the account and was offered a "quick and easy" way to be reminded of my details - by RE-REGISTERING and waiting 3 DAYS for new details to arrive.

I had to use the "calculator" to get into the account and registered a complaint message asking why there has been no advance warning of this change.

TBH, I will be looking to move account if the old version of "memorable data" isn't re-instated.

It really pi**es me off when they introduce these new systems for "our customers benefit".
  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 August 2012 at 7:37AM
    coupleuk wrote: »
    Ive always used the above method too - hate the "calculator thing" - especially when I want to login on my laptop whilst on the road.

However, the "memorable data" option appears to have changed today.

I now have to use one of three memorable items and a passnumber.

I was unable to access the account and was offered a "quick and easy" way to be reminded of my details - by RE-REGISTERING and waiting 3 DAYS for new details to arrive.

I had to use the "calculator" to get into the account and registered a complaint message asking why there has been no advance warning of this change.

TBH, I will be looking to move account if the old version of "memorable data" isn't re-instated.

It really pi**es me off when they introduce these new systems for "our customers benefit".

No change there. That is exactly how one always has had to login without the card reader.
    Memorable data and three digits from the pass number.
    Even before the introduction of the card reader a memorable word and 3 digits from the passnumber was the required method of logging on.
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I have never been able to send a payment without using that card reader to that point I have several dotted all over the place, work, the car laptop bag etc.

Amount does not matter, payee does not matter (even when transferring to my son Nationwide acc to Nationwide Acc) it is very annoying and causes me to use N/W less for transfering money. I will, where possible use the debit card to do the same process, EG; paying credit card bills on the credit card site with the debit card rather than transferring from the Nationwide site to the credit card.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure