PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,599 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I did the final shop of August today:
    Sains £8.46
    Ald! £7.72
    Weeks total £16.18

I am declaring August at £267.07/£310 the remaining £42.93 I am putting into my virtal 2nd purse for stocking up.

For September I plan to spend no more than £300 this is for all food, otc medicines, prescriptions, drinks, sweets, meals out, takeaways, cleaning materials, toiletries for 2 adults & 2 children.

As I stocked up on milk & fruit today I am hoping I will not have to go shopping for anything until the 8th.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • MissOrganised1972
    Options
    Do not know how to split my £80.

It works out at £2.58 per day :eek::eek::eek:

So say £25.80 for 10 days.

Should I go to the shop with exactly that and try to get enough for 10 days?

No way I have the time/energy to go to a shop every day, really once every 10 days is probably the most I can force myself to....

(scratching head)

I have been working on a daily amount for the last couple of months too. The way I work it is, I do my needed shop. Basing it on your £2.58 per day, if I went to the shops on day 3 of the GC & spent £25.80 (for example), I then try to avoid the SM until day 11 as I have spent 10 days of my budget in my initial shop. IYSWIM! If I do overspend or I can't manage until day 11, then I revise my sum. Eg. I now have 10 days left in my month and only £20 & so my new daily allowance for the remainder of the month is £2! Hope that helps :)

Another NSD on the GC for us. However, we did win £35 on my Dad's Church 100 Club yesterday :j & so we treated the kids to drinks & toasted tea cakes out this morning & a game of ten pin bowling this afternoon. The remainder of the £35 has gone into the 'holiday jar'!

Tomorrow will be another NSD for the GC :A but could be pricey in other ways! The DDs are having a school uniform 'try on' (fingers crossed everything still fits) & DD1 is starting guitar lessons at school, in the new term, and so we have got to go and buy her a guitar because the county hires out instruments but not guitars!

Sorry to waffle - as usual! :)
    2017 GC O-£93.46/£160; S-£136.26/£160; A-£130.55/£160; J-£47.12/£160;
    J-£106.63/£190; M-£70.29/£160; A-£197.88/£180; M-£219.35/£180; F-£294.14/£160; J-£168.67/£160
    2016 GC £2322.39/£2285; GC-2012-2015 - £9789.91/£7773!
    for 2 adults & 2 kids (13 & 11) for all food,toiletries,cleaners etc

• gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks - took a day off today as really need a day to organise myself and could not do it before as only got paid today.

Bills are easy as all online. Food - got light in the fridge and nothing else and really need a good thinking cap on to deal with that.

The problem are lunches for work. Prefer to take my own, refraze it - have no choice but take my own. So need to plan for that.

OK.. rambling over, off with the dog and then back to do a list...

Day 1 of September challenge for me.
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning All. Please put me down for £150 for September. My month started on 25th Aug when OH gets paid but we haven't used any yet.
    Save 12k in 2024 Challenge
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • Doris65_2
    Doris65_2 Posts: 80 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone

I havent been on for a while, but really need to get my self back in to this, as I have really overspent in the last couple of months, have done meal plans for month, to included some batch cooking for lunches and time saving, made my lists and am off shopping later, Budget of £240 for month, family of 5,

D x
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We managed the NSW/end well, except for the two small spends (planned) that I mentioned in my earlier post. DH was really on board! Last night after going to our usual Monday evening workout (prepaid) I told him that he could have beer to drink while watching a film on tv, and he said :"But we are on the NSW/end!".

I must have taught him well LOL

Technically I am still in August, GC-wise, today, and need to go to pick up a few basics in Lidl. Can anyone recommend their tea bags? Are they good quality (e.g. good flavour, not dusty)? Thank you.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Off to the shops.... without a list but.. will TRY tyo be really really good.....
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    We managed the NSW/end well, except for the two small spends (planned) that I mentioned in my earlier post. DH was really on board! Last night after going to our usual Monday evening workout (prepaid) I told him that he could have beer to drink while watching a film on tv, and he said :"But we are on the NSW/end!".

I must have taught him well LOL

Technically I am still in August, GC-wise, today, and need to go to pick up a few basics in Lidl. Can anyone recommend their tea bags? Are they good quality (e.g. good flavour, not dusty)? Thank you.
    I buy the Lidl fairtrade teabags and they are lovely. As strong a flavour as Tetley but not quite as bitter.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    THought I'd share a pic of the peach cobbler we just made (it was today's cookery lesson with the kids!)CAF5FC3E-2BCC-402F-958F-1BCB22376E49-622-0000010230B8D086.jpg?t=1346158033

We had it with my home made coconut and banana ice cream:

DE7A6F97-0A08-4609-BCAE-EF076B42A57B-622-000001034139EB30.jpg?t=1346158218

It was rather nice :D
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just got back home - head down in shame, looks like blew whole month's budget in one day...

Will check and update in a bit... Right now - chopping/diving/hiding meat from my greedy cat Fred who stayed in just to see what I brought in those bags....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure