PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JJ - that cobbler looks amazing - I feel the need to get some peaches! (drool). Wow, just wow. Diet means not likely to happen this month, but if I can shift the few remaining pounds I need to, then ... you never know ;)

Right! On to GC matters! Today is the first day of the September Grocery Challenge (for me) and I've bought only items on my shopping list. I still need to buy minced beef, sausages and some mushrooms later in the week - may have to buy ready made smoothies and something for DH's lunches at the weekend, but beyond that nothing else. My personal challenge will be to not visit the supermarket beyond that!

Today, I've spent a grand total of £16.17, making up most of the weekly shop. I'm pleased with that as there's a lot there, and it also included DH's deodorant which isn't cheap (or sadly on offer). So, my first spend is £16.17. Tea tonight will be a sweet & sour pork (made from scratch) and noodles. I'm off to update my sig and spreadsheet, and then start cooking.

Welcome to the newbies! Hope you can get some inspiration :)

K xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • happy_chick_3
    Options
    Caterina wrote: »
    My nearest one is in Blackheath but if you have a look at this link www.lfm.org.uk you might find one near you.

Thank you - thats a big help. Had no idea there were so many!
    GC: Jan £118.67/£175

Owed to Mum -
    £1,487/£6,400
    Overdraft -
    [STRIKE]£1,391[/STRIKE]
    Total -
    £2,878/£7,791

• MoonJelly
    MoonJelly Posts: 330 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2012 at 9:38PM
    Options
    Hi. Can I join in? I had to withdraw last month as I was setting up house and that was more expensive than I thought. I still have to stock up on non-perishables and stuff but I think I can this month for: £220. Starting Sept. 1st.This includes house cleaning products as well.

This is for me and my boy. I have to come up with inexpensive ideas to fill up his school lunchbag, and DF and GL, and YF and WF items for myself.;)
    ..............................................................................
    NW: [STRIKE]£5014.49[/STRIKE]/£4000/£745
    BC: £4308/£2500
    Loan: Co-op: [STRIKE]£3777.23[/STRIKE] /
    [STRIKE]£3387.23[/STRIKE]
    £2900/PAID
    Challenge: debt-free by Christmas 2017
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ok, time to own up to what I have spent today....

starting with - me baddddddddddddddddddddd

1) Newsagent £4.26

2ymdpud.jpg

2) 99 p store £6.93

5dm4qo.jpg

3) Polis shop £15.94

15ft8it.jpg

4) Tesco £43.73

son689.jpg

5) Cab to get it all home £5.50

So... grant total of..... £76.36
    - leaving me with £3.64 to the end of the month
    :o:o:o

In my defence.. (as I need one here I feel) - chopped the big spare rib piece into 2 parts, frozen 2 and the last one.. made some barley soup with it using barley, 1 carrot, 1 stock cube, salt, peper, 1 parsnip, 1 large potato. Took the little meat off the spare rib and shredded it into the soup. Got 5 nice size portions already boxed up.

I believe the food will go long way, possibly not as log as a month but.....

Will need to buy milk for work tomorrow (50p) and nothing else for a while.....

How is everyone else doing?
  • Mortgage_Reduction_Novice
    Options
    I meal planned the next 10 days (includes two bulk cooks) and took a list to the supermarket... with a few extras due to offers on things we use... total spent £38.52.

Usually spend about £10 on fruit and veg at the market on Saturdays

If the supermarket hoard lasts at least 10 days then we'll be on track to undercut our £250 max.
    MFW: Nov 2008 £156k, Jun 2015 £129k, Jun 2017 £114k.
  • IrisViolet
    IrisViolet Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    Hi long time mse lurker been trying with the GC alone these past weeks but finding it hard to keep track so I thought ill join in with you here if thats ok!
    Can you please put me down for £200 for september, my month goes 4 weekly as thats how DH gets paid and will be back to join in from the 4th Sept!,
    Its for me, hubby and a two and a almost 4 year old!
    Im gonna include toiletries and the odd bottle of wine an treats cos this is where all my money goes and ill find myself going mad on treats cos 'its not included' but that;s such a waste of money and its so bad for us anyway.
    Need to stick to Aldi for 99% of shopping.
    Tried using grocers in village but i think it works out more expensive than Aldi, shame really would love to support local business but just cant afford it!
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NOt sure exactly how the thread goes but...

Today had 3 coffess, pot of tea, one portiuon of my home made soup with 3 slices of bread and butter and a banana.

Will buy milk for work tomorrow and FORCE myself to have porridge with milk (loved it but went of some time ago, still got a lot of porridge left so "free food" LOL) at work and a banana, got tea and swetener at work so that is drinks sorted, will take one box with my soup in it and 2 slices of bread for lunch. Evening - will see.....

Need to make my shoping last as long as possible.

In addition to my £80.00 budget for the month, I have £20.00 "emergency" cash which I see I will have to use (tobacco - my only treat really :P)

Hmmmm
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    NOt sure exactly how the thread goes but...

Today had 3 coffess, pot of tea, one portiuon of my home made soup with 3 slices of bread and butter and a banana.

Will buy milk for work tomorrow and FORCE myself to have porridge with milk (loved it but went of some time ago, still got a lot of porridge left so "free food" LOL) at work and a banana, got tea and swetener at work so that is drinks sorted, will take one box with my soup in it and 2 slices of bread for lunch. Evening - will see.....

Need to make my shoping last as long as possible.

In addition to my £80.00 budget for the month, I have £20.00 "emergency" cash which I see I will have to use (tobacco - my only treat really :P)

Hmmmm

You are getting off to a fine start :T

Just a wee suggestion... just wanted to plant an idea in the back of your head.... How about trading your only vice to something else?:eek:

I know on the elite thread, loads of folk have packed in and saved the money that would have been spent. It is then used as a monetary reward on something that they would not otherwise be able to afford :)

Perhaps just making a little calculation of how much you spend realistically over a week... Month.... Year could just be the gentle nudge to make you consider it?

Just an idea though. Not at all compulsory. ;)

Have you tried whoopsie shopping at the supermarkets too? They are a great way to save a fortune on shopping.

:)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • stokegal
    stokegal Posts: 933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was a NSD for us today

We also made a peach and blueberry cobbler -although not that cobbly :)

I am baking my first ever loaf of bread tonight and if successful - I may have to spend some money on some more bread flour and have proces up the cheapest available at 60p

peachcobbler.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    photo.php?fbid=436603406392592&set=a.349292638457003.104793.323619317691002&type=1&theater
    LBM - Oct 2020 - £37500
    Currently - £8409
    77% cleared!
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jumblejack thanks- I know.. I know.....but I already traded 40 cigaterras per day for a packet of tobacco per day/day and half so... not quite ready to completely give up yet.... Perhaps one day ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure