PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Jumblejack thanks- I know.. I know.....but I already traded 40 cigaterras per day for a packet of tobacco per day/day and half so... not quite ready to completely give up yet.... Perhaps one day ;)

When that day comes, you will have an overwhelming support network if folk on here cheering you on. It's the most thrifty thing you can do ever. It's all win win. :beer:

I just wanted to plant the idea. Who knows it might grow :)

I'm gonna look up the potato and bacon hotpot recipe now for some inspiration. Lovely idea :T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    Morning,
    I feel like I am putting weight on just looking at all the lovely pictures. :)
    Breakfast today is cereal, lunch will be coronation chicken with some left over roast, mixed with a little left over curry and mayonaisse. I am serving this on a jacket potato.
    A change of plans for dinner as I am going to my parents, I will be cooking soomething there out of what ever they have in their two full freezers.:cool: And I wonder where I got my food storage habit from. :rotfl:
    I am planning the drive back to coinside with YS time so I hope to pick up some strong cheese. I don't really need anything else but I will buy any super bargins.:D
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Yesterday I was technically still on my August budget but shopped for the days ahead, so only counted the £5 I spent in treats (coffee and cake for me and friend - next time it is her turn!).

So, I am starting with a spend of £20 for organic fruit veg nd egg delivery (one-off), £17 from L!dl, then £12 from Milk & More delivery. The deliveries are for the family while I am away, so they don't go out and spend a fortune on silly expensive food. They will have a good stock of basics and then will use the weekly allowance £20 each/week to get fresh stuff, and they can choose to pick it up at the allotment and use the money for treats etc. they both work part time so if there is an emergency they can use their own money and will then be refunded.

Of course while heir dad is around, half the time ( the other half he is away with me!) he will help with the food shopping - however he is not much wiser, spend-wise! Probably the twins shop better and wiser because they have been accompanying me to the shops since they were born!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • belselmo
    belselmo Posts: 11 Forumite
    I have decided to start my September challenge from today 29th August given that I got my last pay from my previous job yesterday...hopefully I can stretch that until I get paid from my new job!

I took my girls on an early morning trip to the green supermarket this morning (rock n roll :cool:) and spent £17.66 - this did include some vacuum storage bags that I wouldn't normally purchase but I'm trying to organise my life before my college course starts and I'm far too busy for this tidying and sorting business ;)

(we do actually call them by colours in our house because of my two year old so I'm sticking with it if I may? - green, orange, yellow, daddy's (Mr T as that's where he works!) and the little supermarket (L*dl)

Then this afternoon we're going to daddy's supermarket to do a bigger weekly/stock shop. I tend not to go to Mr T unless I'm doing a bigger shop as DHs discount comes in very handy. It is further away though to our nearest Mr T so the journey there usually negates the saving in discount.

Anyway enough waffle...here's to a good frugal day :)
    GC Challenge Newbie!
    September £79.39/£180
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Morning all

Budgets done to here and I'll update the front page later

Hi and Welcome to all our new joiners - Please read the first post, especially Spiggles bit and don't forget to always check out Rosiebens list of recipes that she collects from all our great posters. Ask lots of questions and post regularly - it helps keep you focused.

I'm thinking of doing a bit of a stock up on Flour, Pasta, Rice and Oil - can you peeps think of anything else that will prob rise in price soon?

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Outdoorlass
    Outdoorlass Posts: 315 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2012 at 10:21AM
    Hello everyone

Not been here for a wee while (big mistake) I have had a very bad year so far, my dad was taken ill and sadly he passed away 5 months ago:-( So my head hasn't been with counting my grocery spends, but I now have to start taking control again as we are struggling, OH works FT and I have been looking for a PT job not sure I could cope with FT at the moment, but don't seem to be getting anywhere. We are family of four, 2 adults and two teens (16 & 13) Eldest starts college on Friday and i've just had to borrow my Christmas money for the £600 bus pass they wanted it all at once:eek: So things are really really tight! OH and I have to eat a strict low fat diet due to health problems and sadly that doesn't come cheap! OH commutes on a bike to work 20 miles a day, so is always hungry. I am going to be realistic about the challenge amount as to be honest I don't think I could cope with any more failures at the moment:p My month runs 28th - 28th and can you put me down for £399.00 please.

I will be using a mix of Asda, Aldi and newly discovered Farm Foods, all withing a few miles of me and I also plan to use the car as little as possible so will me mostly walking!

Good luck everyone x

Yesterday I spent £21 in Asda
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 £21/£399
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    Oh Dear,

Sorry, I fell off the wagon again around March time :((

Now out of a job so only one income and I really need to get to grips again.

So back off to meal planning and My Supermarket I go.

How many others start the year with good intentions and then just forget about it or feel far too busy to plan after the first few months??

Still one small consolation if I'm at home there's more time to plan properly and also use the local markets, also one less to feed when eldest goes off to uni at end of month.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Outdoorlass - lots of hugs, you've had it tough recently, hope you get sorted with a nice little job that is stress free, Mon - Fri and a few hours a day.

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • Hello everyone

Not been here for a wee while (big mistake) I have had a very bad year so far, my dad was taken ill and sadly he passed away 5 months ago:-( So my head hasn't been with counting my grocery spends.

Really sorry to hear your news Outdoorlass. Hugs. Good luck with the challenge. But don't be too harsh on yourself, it'll take time to get back into it.

And how much for the buss pass, wow. :eek:
    SPC 14 Target £200 /
    Debt: £11850
  • Just gone over my last few days spends and my household spends are £74.52.

And my grocery spends are £177.42.

Back to school on Wednesday so will have to get some packed lunch things before then.

Hope everyone is well.

Katy, X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure