PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

lily pollen stains

Options

Comments

• jo1967
    jo1967 Posts: 521 Forumite
    Options
    We do have spare (only done last year) so I will talk to my decorator (hubby!!!)
    NEVER ASSUME! :rolleyes:
  • Hopelesswithmoney
    Options
    Hi, as this thread is a bit old I wondered if anyone had any up-to-date advice on removing lily pollen stains from a cream carpet?

My flowers had fallen over whilst I was out so the carpet was soaking wet for some time. I have left the area to dry but the stains are deep set and my Dyson won't touch it.

TIA

Hopeless
    Hopeless by name, hopeless by nature.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    I had some succes on my net curtains using neat stardrops
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • teacher-rach
    Options
    I had a disaster this afternoon - knocked all the pollen of the lillies in a vase by my fire place all over my cream carpet (why I left the pollen on is beyond me!!).

Then I made a stupid error of spraying it with 1001 carpet cleaner- DON'T DO IT the stains went bright yellow and looked awful.

SOLUTION!! -
    1. Dry the area by pouring bicarbonate of soda on the area (or areas if you're as unlucky as me)
    2. Dab the area with some laundry powder for white clothes with a cloth dipped in white spirit.
    3. Leave for 5 mins - then take several clean cloths and a bottle of white spirit or turps - rub (you need a lot of elbow grease for this) the stained area with a cloth soaked in white spirit. I know you're told not to rub but honeslty my carpet is spotless.

To take the smell away and to ensure to remove the white spirit (which is actually a grease my husband informs me) I then sprayed the area with talc and hoovered up. Long winded but effective.

You need a strong arm to get the pollen off but it has really worked - I made every mistake in the book and still have a lovely cream carpet!
  • becky_sleaf
    becky_sleaf Posts: 572 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there,

My daughter managed to knock my Mothers Day flowers on to the lounge rug & now there is a very noticeable stain from the lily pollen :( Is there any way of getting this out? I couldn't tell how bad it was after she had done it yesterday as the rug was soaked & the lighting in our lounge is not the best! I really don't want to have to chuck it out as it is such a nice rug & it wasn't cheap either. :eek:

Thanks!
    Our 1st baby is due 29th December 2007! :rudolf:
    I'm hopeful that this get's me out of cooking Christmas dinner!

Baby Ruby arrived after 55 hours of labour & an emergency c section on Christmas Day at 14.41 weighing 6lb 6oz...And yes I did get out of cooking Christmas dinner!!:rotfl:
  • helenamy123
    Options
    hi,

sorry no help for stain but just wanted to mention that lilys and lily pollen can be fatal if eaten by cats.

best regards

helen x
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi becky,

There's an existing thread with lots of suggestions that may help, so I've added your thread to it to keep the ideas together.

Pink
  • psychopathbabble
    Options
    Can you help?

I have a rather horrible yellow stain on my beige carpet from the beautiful flowers I was given.... any tips on how to get rid of it?

Thank you!
    Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 :heart:Became homeowners 26.02.16 :heart:Baby girl arrived 27.10.16 :heart:Baby boy arrived 16.09.2018
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi psychopathbabble,

There are some good tips and advice that should help on this thread:

lily pollen stains

I'll add yours to that one later to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • psychopathbabble
    Options
    Thanks Pink-winged... didn't even think to search, sorry!
    Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 :heart:Became homeowners 26.02.16 :heart:Baby girl arrived 27.10.16 :heart:Baby boy arrived 16.09.2018
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure