PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

lily pollen stains

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Rufty1
    Rufty1 Posts: 95 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a big group of lilly stains on my expensive Persian type rug. I had it professionally cleaned last year but it didn't help with any of the minor stains, so am reluctant to pay out again for no result. Has anyone seen any fading of carpets after using IPA? The stain is well dried in now (and hubby added some red wine for good measure) and I am desperate!!
    Thanks all
    R
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure about carpets but it did come out of my skirt! The light will probably fade it.
  • Stephenbw
    Stephenbw Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Choosing flowers in Tesco I got a great big pollen stain on my pale blue cotton trousers from the lilies in the lower buckets.Fearing that it would never come out I reported in to Customer Services, came home and searched on DuckDuckGo for remedies.

Because it was a while before I had noticed the stain, it was already pretty well rubbed in, but I used some Sellotape anyway and still managed to remove some of the loose pollen. Then, as it is a sunny day, I hung the trousers on the line, but wasn't really optimistic.

Amazingly it worked! :T after less than an hour in the sun the stain had completely disappeared. :j
  • tia86
    tia86 Posts: 956 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone help suggest where to buy isopropyl alcohol from or whether I will have to just order online?
    Have tried Boots, Sainsburys and a local chemist - the first two looked at me blankly, and the chemist said they no longer stock it as they cannot sell it :S
  • I had dropped some dried lily flowers on my carpet and I immediately thought to scrub wirh some washing up liquid which spread the stain, then I tried a number of things in my cupboards which didn't work. Then I tried wd40 as a last resort and it vanished immediately leaving no damage.
  • bellaquidsin
    Options
    MSE OS to the rescue. I was given a lovely bunch of lilies last week. I'm well aware of the hazards of pollen so treated them with the utmost care. I swear that stuff can jump as I found two patches of it on my pale blue dressing gown, probably happened while I was drawing the curtains.

However I remembered having seen this thread some days ago so I trawled back until I found it. It was a lovely sunny day so I decided to go for that as the cheapest option and hung my dressing gown on the line AND IT WORKED. Not a trace of the pollen was left by the end of the afternoon. I was delighted.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure