PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Options

Comments

• alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    Basics rice from Sainsburys is 40p a kilo, I know because I bought some the other day. I've never bought it before but thought I'd give it a go!

Butterfly Brain, hats off to you for taking time to do that menu plan for everyone, you're a good'un.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For anyone living in London, please check the Turkish Food Supermarkets (https://www.tfcsupermarkets.com) for amazing prices on many things, such as yogurt, cheaper to buy there than to make at home! Tomatoes, pasta, nuts, all at very good prices. They often have offers going, I bought a whole load of pasta, 99p for 3 packs of 500g each. Was very reluctant to start with as being Italian my family only wants Italian pasta *rolls eyes*' but they got proved wrong, Turkish pasta is very nice, too. Also on offer 4 tins of tomatoes for 99p, got to go back and stock up!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caterina how much is the yogurt? i can make 4 litres of yogurt for less than £3, i don't live in london i was just wondering.

Anyone else that doesn't have a turkish supermarket amazon is very good for pasta deals if you can afford to stock up in one go.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Caterina
    Options
    Quintwins I stand corrected, the 1 kg pot comes to around £1.29, I forget the resourcefulness of OSers sometimes!

I keep trying to make my own but it comes out very liquid and stringy so I have to strain it, that's why I thought that to buy it there would be cheaper!
  • quintwins
    Options
    i make mine in the slowcooker mines never stringy but i use a starter yogurt rather than a packet and i found when i used a cheaper one it was abit watery, also adding a few table spoons of milk powder helps thicken it up (i just use the value stuff). i use the 50p pots of yeo valley if your gonna try again.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Caterina
    Options
    Thank you. I keep trying because I love yogurt and can't always trek it to the Turkish shop. I don't have a slow cooker, I put it in a wide mouthed flask and also use yeo pot for starter. Maybe I need to be more careful with temperature, but will persevere until I get it right.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    quintwins could you share your yoghurt recipe with us please x
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • lilbert
    lilbert Posts: 641 Forumite
    Options
    quintwins could you share your yoghurt recipe with us please x

PLEEEEEEEEASE :j Ive made yogurt before but it always comes out really thin and id love to be able to do it in the slow cooker.
  • quintwins
    edited 24 July 2012 at 4:19PM
    Options
    http://crockpot365.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

i use this method^^^ (i don't have a thermometer and i don't time it i saw a youtube video that said once tiny simmer bubbles start to appear turn it off and when it's cool enough to dip you baby finger into add your stuff and wrap it up so thats what i do)

i used 2 litre uht milk (just value ones) throw it on the slowcooker and follow above then you take a jug full out, add your yeo yogurt and 4 big spoonfuls of value milk powder (and a spoonful of honey if like my hubby you like it sweet) stir it throw it in, cover it up with a towel and go to bed, in the morning you have yogurt, it always looks just like milk til you put a spoon in it.

If your yogurts to think or you prefer greek style you can strain it threw a hankie or muslin square over a jug, if you do this long enough you'll get a soft cheese (i've never did it to the point of soft cheese)

Put a portion of your yogurt in the freezer and use in place of your yeo yogurt next time, in theory you can do this with every batch but it works less as you go along, so you can freeze one for your 3rd ect i only do it once so the next batch is thick at 50p the yogurt isn't dear anyway.

oh yeah and i let it set abit in the fridge before i add any fruit as i find this thins it abit.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    Thank you so much quintwins
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors