PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Options
1107108109110111113»

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    what about a long term plan that takes into account your 5 a day, your lean protein, low fat/sugar, complex carbs, all that for long term nutrition.

For many people, all that stuff's just too hard. I've no idea what it's all about; so many things that are hard to keep track of.

I just eat what I fancy, just being aware of when things are a bit piggy or a bit goodish.

I've no idea what "lean protein" is ... or complex carbs.

And, even if I did and had nailed that lot, people'd then come up with a new raft of things to try to catch me out on.

A pie a day keeps the doctor away .... with chips :)
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For many people, all that stuff's just too hard. I've no idea what it's all about; so many things that are hard to keep track of.

I just eat what I fancy, just being aware of when things are a bit piggy or a bit goodish.

I've no idea what "lean protein" is ... or complex carbs.

And, even if I did and had nailed that lot, people'd then come up with a new raft of things to try to catch me out on.

A pie a day keeps the doctor away .... with chips :)

Complex carbs - getting your carb requirement from starchy vegetables & whole grains rather than potatoes white bread/rice/pasta.

Those white refined carbs are usually the cheapest method of getting carbs.
    Likewise protein, fatty meat is cheaper than lean meat.
    But eggs & fish & lentils are good low fat sources of protein.

Basically it's just a healthy balanced diet. Something that is sustainable in the long term.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Complex carbs - getting your carb requirement from starchy vegetables & whole grains rather than potatoes white bread/rice/pasta.

Those white refined carbs are usually the cheapest method of getting carbs.
    Likewise protein, fatty meat is cheaper than lean meat.
    But eggs & fish & lentils are good low fat sources of protein.

Basically it's just a healthy balanced diet. Something that is sustainable in the long term.

Whoosh. That'd take a whole lot of looking into, checking, writing it down to remember .... I'd probably be left with nothing I like to eat :)

Not sure what whole grains are. I do mostly eat potatoes, bread, white rice, white pasta. Always have done.

I don't buy/eat much meat, for a variety of reasons.

Eggs I eat quite a lot .... I'm eating more fish fingers lately as they're great in toasties. Lentils ... eww, eww, ewww- I can still remember the horrible, really nasty looking, lumps of ham in the pressure cooker that mum would add orange lentils to in the 1970s.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm eating more fish fingers lately as they're great in toasties. Lentils ... eww, eww, ewww- I can still remember the horrible, really nasty looking, lumps of ham in the pressure cooker that mum would add orange lentils to in the 1970s.

I do love a fish finger sandwich, don't often buy them, they are like a guilty pleasure :-)
    I only have them in white bread with a smear of tarter sauce. When you say toastie do you mean between toast or toasted in a Breville sandwich toaster? I've never had anything more adventurous than cheese & ham toasted.

I love lentils in vegetable soups, a couple of handfuls & then blitzed with the hand blender, you won't taste them, but it makes them hearty & healthier.
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just saw a recipe for King's soup (Frugal in Norfolk) using steel cut oats and leeks. It would be economical to serve with bread and a good salad.
    Has anyone had this soup before and should I try it or would I be wasting my ingredients? I'm intrigued I must say.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    While all of these are great for a tight spot, what about a long term plan that takes into account your 5 a day, your lean protein, low fat/sugar, complex carbs, all that for long term nutrition.

Try doing a search for threads by Weezl74. Here's one to start you off: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1007423&highlight=

Weezl was active until a couple of years ago and, with a group of lovely forumites, ran several long running threads on designing and testing the lowest possible cost healthiest possible meal plans. And I mean to the micro-nutrient level here.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Try doing a search for threads by Weezl74. Here's one to start you off: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1007423&highlight=

Weezl was active until a couple of years ago and, with a group of lovely forumites, ran several long running threads on designing and testing the lowest possible cost healthiest possible meal plans. And I mean to the micro-nutrient level here.
    If I remember correctly from something I read here weezl was one of the people who set up this:
    http://cheap-family-recipes.org/index.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport