Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

edited 17 June 2014 at 5:01PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 314.8K views
1107108109110111113»

Replies

• PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    what about a long term plan that takes into account your 5 a day, your lean protein, low fat/sugar, complex carbs, all that for long term nutrition.

For many people, all that stuff's just too hard. I've no idea what it's all about; so many things that are hard to keep track of.

I just eat what I fancy, just being aware of when things are a bit piggy or a bit goodish.

I've no idea what "lean protein" is ... or complex carbs.

And, even if I did and had nailed that lot, people'd then come up with a new raft of things to try to catch me out on.

A pie a day keeps the doctor away .... with chips :)
  • Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    For many people, all that stuff's just too hard. I've no idea what it's all about; so many things that are hard to keep track of.

I just eat what I fancy, just being aware of when things are a bit piggy or a bit goodish.

I've no idea what "lean protein" is ... or complex carbs.

And, even if I did and had nailed that lot, people'd then come up with a new raft of things to try to catch me out on.

A pie a day keeps the doctor away .... with chips :)

Complex carbs - getting your carb requirement from starchy vegetables & whole grains rather than potatoes white bread/rice/pasta.

Those white refined carbs are usually the cheapest method of getting carbs.
    Likewise protein, fatty meat is cheaper than lean meat.
    But eggs & fish & lentils are good low fat sources of protein.

Basically it's just a healthy balanced diet. Something that is sustainable in the long term.
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Complex carbs - getting your carb requirement from starchy vegetables & whole grains rather than potatoes white bread/rice/pasta.

Those white refined carbs are usually the cheapest method of getting carbs.
    Likewise protein, fatty meat is cheaper than lean meat.
    But eggs & fish & lentils are good low fat sources of protein.

Basically it's just a healthy balanced diet. Something that is sustainable in the long term.

Whoosh. That'd take a whole lot of looking into, checking, writing it down to remember .... I'd probably be left with nothing I like to eat :)

Not sure what whole grains are. I do mostly eat potatoes, bread, white rice, white pasta. Always have done.

I don't buy/eat much meat, for a variety of reasons.

Eggs I eat quite a lot .... I'm eating more fish fingers lately as they're great in toasties. Lentils ... eww, eww, ewww- I can still remember the horrible, really nasty looking, lumps of ham in the pressure cooker that mum would add orange lentils to in the 1970s.
  • Kim_kimKim_kim Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm eating more fish fingers lately as they're great in toasties. Lentils ... eww, eww, ewww- I can still remember the horrible, really nasty looking, lumps of ham in the pressure cooker that mum would add orange lentils to in the 1970s.

I do love a fish finger sandwich, don't often buy them, they are like a guilty pleasure :-)
    I only have them in white bread with a smear of tarter sauce. When you say toastie do you mean between toast or toasted in a Breville sandwich toaster? I've never had anything more adventurous than cheese & ham toasted.

I love lentils in vegetable soups, a couple of handfuls & then blitzed with the hand blender, you won't taste them, but it makes them hearty & healthier.
  • milasavesmoneymilasavesmoney Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw a recipe for King's soup (Frugal in Norfolk) using steel cut oats and leeks. It would be economical to serve with bread and a good salad.
    Has anyone had this soup before and should I try it or would I be wasting my ingredients? I'm intrigued I must say.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • NewShadowNewShadow Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    While all of these are great for a tight spot, what about a long term plan that takes into account your 5 a day, your lean protein, low fat/sugar, complex carbs, all that for long term nutrition.

Try doing a search for threads by Weezl74. Here's one to start you off: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1007423&highlight=

Weezl was active until a couple of years ago and, with a group of lovely forumites, ran several long running threads on designing and testing the lowest possible cost healthiest possible meal plans. And I mean to the micro-nutrient level here.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House deposit: 25% = £32,500 Banked!
    Next Step: Complete = possibly in a few weeks = On Track On Hold
    giphy.gif
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • Upsidedown_BearUpsidedown_Bear Forumite
    18.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Try doing a search for threads by Weezl74. Here's one to start you off: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1007423&highlight=

Weezl was active until a couple of years ago and, with a group of lovely forumites, ran several long running threads on designing and testing the lowest possible cost healthiest possible meal plans. And I mean to the micro-nutrient level here.
    If I remember correctly from something I read here weezl was one of the people who set up this:
    http://cheap-family-recipes.org/index.html
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals