PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Options

Comments

• Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    By the way the super six are 39p each not 49p Save Dosh
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • The super six are usually on for 2 weeis, this ogger ends next Saturday night.

I buy Tesco's Haddock in breadcrunbs £2 for 4. They are whole fish and really nice. I buy Aldi oven chips at 94p. cook them and the fish on a tray in the oven 30 minutes at 200c supper for 2. for approx £1 15. Sometimes we have a round of bread and butter with it, or some green peas. Friday is fish and chip night,
  • thanks Butterfly & Deleted_User Deleted_User have you tried the Tesco Value fish in batter. Its probably not as nice as the haddock, but its nice and 69p for 4 fish, which would bring the meal down to 51p for 2 people.
  • Save_Dosh wrote: »
    thanks Butterfly & Deleted_User Deleted_User have you tried the Tesco Value fish in batter. Its probably not as nice as the haddock, but its nice and 69p for 4 fish, which would bring the meal down to 51p for 2 people.

I would except OH will only eat haddock!! He prefers the breadcrumbed one. Tesco were out of it for a while and I had to use Asda's, not as nice, but any port in a storm.

I use Tesco value porridge oats at 75p a bag lasts the 2 of us for a month. Unfortunately where I live we only have Tesco and Aldi, Tesco seem to have the mindset that we are all millionaires here, they carry very little of the value lines at all. Sainsbugs have planning permission to build on the outskirts of the town, I am keeping my fingers crossed that they will carry more of their value range.

Most of my money these days gets spent in Aldi, their fruit and veg are far superior to Tescos and the super six are usually very good value. Recently they had plums, I bought 2 packs each time I went in, stoned and froze them for crumbles or pies later.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    edited 11 September 2012 at 12:44PM
    Options
    csarina it is not just your Tesco that have cut back on the value range it is all of them, but I did get some 12p tins of rice, 4p mushy peas and mincemeat for 20p. Asda, Sainsbury, Morrisons and Waitrose have done the same thing. I am another Aldi convert and much prefer it to any of the big supermarkets, it also has the added bonus of not playing any music :j unlike the others where you can't hear yourself think :mad: I can take my time and I don't feel so tense when I come out, and the staff at my local one are lovely :D
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wish i had an aldi, you know i've never noticed any music in a supermarket i'll listen out for it next time.

csarina have you tried making your own breaded fish? tesco do value fish for £1.75 (i think) theres 6 in it, i buy these and top with philly chives and breadcrumbs for the kids they love it, but you could coat them in breadcrumbs and cook as normal, i even seen a recipe the other day 1.

http://frugalincornwall.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/fish-and-chips-twice.html

i'm sure you could talk hubby into trying them, if you do the whole there hoomamde so better for your speel.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • kettlenic
    Options
    Love reading the oldstyle board...always something to learn!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    csarina it is not just your Tesco that have cut back on the value range it is all of them, but I did get some 12p tins of rice, 4p mushy peas and mincemeat for 20p. Asda, Sainsbury, Morrisons and Waitrose have done the same thing.

Too true Butterfly Brain. I have been looking for Mr T's cooking bacon since July - can't find any and I've been into several different branches. For the last two shops, they had no value baby shampoo, baby wash or baby lotion. (I'd been planning on stocking up.)

The other big thing is that the price on value baby products has gone up to either 36p or 32p. Not that they had any on the shelf.

Had to go into Sainsbugs yesterday because theirs is the nearest pharmacy to work. While I was waiting for my prescription to be made up, I wanded around checking out their prices. Now, I have a confession to make - I'd rather have a filling at the dentist than shop at Sainsbugs. Every single one of their stores has an annoyingly bad layout where you can never find things or do price comparisions because they organise things by brand and not by type (spices and pulses are frequently in 3 or 4 aisles at diametrically opposite ends of the shop). Take yesterday - I thought I'd check out their hair dye to see if there was an offer. It was spread out over two aisles depending on the brand. Oh, and they did have an offer on L'Oreal Excel 10 but none in stock and no shelf space for it.

Anyway, I checked out their Basics baby products (on an aisle miles from the rest of the toiletries). Basics baby shampoo/wash was 46p! That's 10p more than MrT for stuff that is probably made in the same factory (the Basics and Value shampoos are).
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got Everyday pitta bread in Tesco yesterday after seeing it on another thread here 6 for 20p makes some easy mini pizzas
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • skyehusky_2
    Options
    Hi,

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the people who have posted on this thread. It has given me so many ideas. As a single mum to two teenage girls, we haven't always been careful about watching our grocery spending habits and I'm embarrassed to say that we have often thrown away food in the past. But we are now on a mission, all 3 of us have major birthdays next year and having had two of the worst years of our lives, we want to do something special to celebrate. Reading this has kicked us into touch, and we will be using many of the ideas here to help us save those pennies. Again many thanks
    SPC#1836 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport