PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Options

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    Beetroot risotto is nice and looks amazing in the bowl. I can type up the recipe if it is something you mighty like. :)

That sounds lovely. I'd love the recipe please.

Denise
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Soworried wrote: »
    Beetroot risotto is nice and looks amazing in the bowl. I can type up the recipe if it is something you mighty like. :)

see i would like that but i no-one else would, hubby and the youngest hate rice in any form so thats a no go :( i'm not one of those cook a million meals mummys lol
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    edited 3 September 2012 at 11:24AM
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    That sounds lovely. I'd love the recipe please.

Denise
    Beetroot risotto
    500g of beetroot 39p
    tablespoon of oil 5p
    Knob of butter or spread 10p
    1 onion 8p
    1 garlic clove 3p
    250g rice 20p
    800ml stock 2p
    Handful of parmesan cheese 50g 80p £1.60 per 100g from MrT deli
    Total meal cost £1.67 or 42p a head

Peel and trim the beetroot and cut into wedges. Coat in a touch of oil and roast for around an hour or until soft.
    While it is roasting add the onion, oil and garlic in to a frying pan with the butter. Cook until soft then add the rice. stir it through, slowly add the stock a little at a time.
    Once the beetroot is done, puree around a third of it with seasoning. Stir this and the parmesan through the rice. Dice the rest of the beets and stir through.
    I like to add more parmesan to the top of it. :o

I will add costs soon.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • Soworried
    Options
    This menu is in no way healthy but I wanted to try an Asda £7 shop for 2 people for a week.
    All prices are current.
    Shopping list.
    4pk of Chicken and veg pies 82p
    Cheese and bacon quiche 84p
    Wholemeal bread x2 94p
    Stock cubes 10p
    7x Mushy peas 28p
    Baked beans with sausage 33p
    Lemon curd 22p
    Smart price potatoes 69p
    Cheese spread 43p
    Tomato and onion pasta sauce 25p
    Cheese and broccolli pasta sauce 38p
    50pk cocktail sausage rolls 50p
    Tin beans 26p
    Dried fruit 64p
    Tinned pineapple 32p

Breakfasts, 2x slices of toast each with lemon curd.
    Lunches, 4 days of cheese spread sandwich.
    2 days of soup. Use 2x tins of mushy peas add stock and blend.
    1 day Jacket potato with beans and sausages.
    Dinners, 2x days of Pie and peas with jacket potato or boiled potatoes.
    2x days of Quiche with jacket poatoes and peas.
    2x days of pasta sauce over jacket potatoes.
    1 day, Sausage rolls, chips and beans.
    Snacks are sausage rolls and dried fruit and 1x tin of mushy peas made in to an soup extra soup portion each.
    Drinks, council pop. :D
    £36/£240
    £5522
  • burns2987
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you to all those that have posted these little tips and tricks!

As a 24 year old student, my budget is rather restricted and this just helps to make sure things go a bit further!

Wonderful stuff! Keep it up!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 September 2012 at 8:05PM
    Options
    soworried - i was smiling at your Asda shopping list - it looked like mine from a few years back - i still get some of that stuff still. The tomato and onion is not a sauce though, its dried pasta with powderd sauce that you add water to, but they do a smartprice sauce for 39p. I used to buy smartprice instant mash, 20p, which serves 2 a big portion and their bags of salad are cheap, about 40p or something for a good sized bag, also the sausages in the beans can be fried and used as toppings for pizzas for a slightly different menu. ts a good menu and nice and filling
  • sophlowe45
    sophlowe45 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    I went to a local shop my friend buys her fruit and veg from, 3 cucumbers for a pound, a big bag of red onions for 99p and loads more great prices, I could barely carry the onions home! And they will last for weeks.

if any of you have local greengrocers near you, have a look at what they sell.

Zoflora disinfectant for 70p too, which is a pound in Poundland or 1.33 in supermarkets I've seen it in.
  • she_who_can_not_cook
    Options
    sophlowe45 wrote: »
    I went to a local shop my friend buys her fruit and veg from, 3 cucumbers for a pound, a big bag of red onions for 99p and loads more great prices, I could barely carry the onions home! And they will last for weeks.

if any of you have local greengrocers near you, have a look at what they sell.

Zoflora disinfectant for 70p too, which is a pound in Poundland or 1.33 in supermarkets I've seen it in.
    i second this my local has been doing cuc n lettuce and spring onions X for a pound they also get onions @1.99 for 10kg
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • Soworried
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    soworried - i was smiling at your Asda shopping list - it looked like mine from a few years back - i still get some of that stuff still. The tomato and onion is not a sauce though, its dried pasta with powderd sauce that you add water to, but they do a smartprice sauce for 39p. I used to buy smartprice instant mash, 20p, which serves 2 a big portion and their bags of salad are cheap, about 40p or something for a good sized bag, also the sausages in the beans can be fried and used as toppings for pizzas for a slightly different menu. ts a good menu and nice and filling
    Since doing this the prices have been a real eye opener. I have started to try some of the basic items. Some have been horrible but some have been great quality.
    I don't buy any other stock cubes now, there is no difference. The mushy peas and lemon curd as well.
    It should save me quite a bit over the year. I am going to keep trying the range. Nothing to lose really at those prices. :j
    £36/£240
    £5522
  • Soworried
    Options
    burns2987 wrote: »
    I just wanted to say thank you to all those that have posted these little tips and tricks!

As a 24 year old student, my budget is rather restricted and this just helps to make sure things go a bit further!

Wonderful stuff! Keep it up!
    It is lovely to hear that it has been a help to you. Good luck with your studies. x :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income