PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Options

Comments

• RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    quintwins wrote: »
    Please don't steal veg, for all you know thats some poor families dinner lol.

Try growing thinginsg in hanging baskets, peas are dead easy as are potatoes, get some string bin bags (i recommend lidls) and fill with compost and some seed taties, or wait for your normal potatoes to sprout and plan them, then keep topping the bag up when they sprout eventually it will be too tall for a dog to reasch in and too heavy to knock over.

You reallu need to go late for decent reductions, last thur i got

3 bags of celery for 12p each
    bag of soup veg 11p
    diced pork 80p
    finest meatballs 70p
    bbq chicken breasts 80p (i did have 2 of these in my trolley but one vanished)
    value bacon 17p
    normal bacon 22p
    4 chicken breast 44p
    tatie and leek soup 17p
    steak pie 7p
    2 blocks of cheese 9p each
    sausages 17p
    pate 22p
    finest pork and red carmelised onion sausages 80p
    coleslaw and tatie salad 10p
    4 pork chops for 9p each
    2x 2 packs finest cheese cakes for 28p each
    12 value baps 9p

but on the same note this thur i got

watermelon peices 22p
    cabbage 19p
    chicken breasts 44p
    finest pure orange-reduced to 27p
    whipping cream- reduced to 24p
    6 butter scones- reduced to 18p
    3 finest lasagne's- reduced to 38p each

38p for Finest Lasagnes?! Bl**dy h*ll - that's a bargain of which I can only ever dream!! (I live in a very tiny place!!).

Don't worry though - I would NEVER steal, no matter how desperate I got. My only criminal experience came when I was 14. I stole a Milky Way from a little shop - but was so overcome with guilt that I went back, confessed and paid for it a few days later. Don't think I'll make the FBI's "Most Wanted" list ! ;)
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    38p for Finest Lasagnes?! Bl**dy h*ll - that's a bargain of which I can only ever dream!! (I live in a very tiny place!!).

Don't worry though - I would NEVER steal, no matter how desperate I got. My only criminal experience came when I was 14. I stole a Milky Way from a little shop - but was so overcome with guilt that I went back, confessed and paid for it a few days later. Don't think I'll make the FBI's "Most Wanted" list ! ;)

Not only that i got 3 of them!!! they should have been £3.80 each and hubbys orange juice (me and the kids don't like orange juice with bits) should have been £2.80 seriously for a litre of oragne juice, meatballs and sausages from last week were part of the 3 for £10 deals so i think i did well on them as they should have been £4 each. Some people have more money than sense for taht kinda money i'd be away to the butchers.

Small whoopsie hint i don't go at the end of the month, i will prob try on tue this week if i'm feeling better, most peopel are paid on the last thur/fri of the month or last day/first day and theres always hardly any whoospies left.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • quintwins
    Options
    please,has anyone got a tip to make blue tack stickier?

have decorated DS bedroom whilst he's been away,and have been sticking up a poster since friday!!

tack stays stuck to wall,whilst poster keeps falling off :mad:

cheers all

thats abit off topic :rotfl:

you roll it lost in your hands first to make it softer and warm then stick it up, i use alot of blue tack since my kids are at that pictures from school and cars posters stage.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    Options
    Harping back to some earlier posts - Self Raising flour, a pinch of salt, & water make a really crispy batter. Our local chippie told me that many moons ago.
  • asparagus1968
    asparagus1968 Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    please,has anyone got a tip to make blue tack stickier?

have decorated DS bedroom whilst he's been away,and have been sticking up a poster since friday!!

tack stays stuck to wall,whilst poster keeps falling off :mad:

cheers all

OOPS! meant to start a new thread with this,sorry!
    LIVE SIMPLY * GIVE MORE * EXPECT LESS * BE THANKFUL

• PhGage
    PhGage Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    BigAunty wrote: »
    I get a bit worried at some of the recipes classed as main meals on this forum, such as plain pasta dishes or veg soups...

Is it just me that is worried about proteinless main meal recipes?
    Dried peas have a surprising amount of protein - 11g per portion when served as soup. There's a reasonable amount of vitamin C etc. in dried peas when they're sprouted.

Bacon relish adds a little bit more protein when used to flavour the soups, fritters etc. I chose chickpea flour rather than opting for bread flour (which would have been more flexible) because it has 22g protein per 100g and a very helpful amount of iron (4mg) as well as a useful range of B vitamins.

As others have said, these are 'wolf from the door' menu ideas for temporary cash flow problems. As you and others agree, Cheap Family Recipes is a very fine reference for a nutritious, varied, affordable set of meal plans: I'd always point people there if they had sufficient funds for the cost of the initial week one shop or a reasonably stocked larder.
    August grocery challenge: £8.65/£300

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest. (attrib.) Benjamin Franklin
  • RuthnJasper
    Options
    Not only that i got 3 of them!!! they should have been £3.80 each and hubbys orange juice (me and the kids don't like orange juice with bits) should have been £2.80 seriously for a litre of oragne juice, meatballs and sausages from last week were part of the 3 for £10 deals so i think i did well on them as they should have been £4 each. Some people have more money than sense for taht kinda money i'd be away to the butchers.

Small whoopsie hint i don't go at the end of the month, i will prob try on tue this week if i'm feeling better, most peopel are paid on the last thur/fri of the month or last day/first day and theres always hardly any whoospies left.

I often find that the best whoopsie/YS bargains are to be had midweek. My problem is that I live in quite a "posh" little town, so the bargains aren't necessarily always the bargains they are in some other places. Don't do TOO badly though, like you say, it's down to careful timing. Also the local market at the end of the day is often very rewarding...!

One of my neighbours does very well for herself out of "roadkill" (beasties, not people!!) - recently deceased rabbits/pheasants/etc. As I'm in the countryside, I HAVE thought about this (my mum comes from a tiny village on the edge of Dartmoor, so is in no way 'girlie' like I am about gutting and skinning stuff! Thinks: Hmmmm... Maybe that's what happened to my last ex-boyfriend....?) ;)

I can't quite bring myself to do it though. The idea that the poor animal might have died from some grotty illness and not the more merciful end c/o a car is always in the back of my mind. I've had some venison from a deer-stalker in the woods where I work and a pheasant, but they were more respectably-despatched.

Word of warning if you DO go down that route though - make D*MNED certain that the wily beastie is actually dead before you put it in the car-boot. TRUST me - you really don't want to open up that boot back home to discover a very alive, very angry pheasant in there... :eek:
  • quintwins
    Options
    lol my hubby shoots so i also get pheasant, duck and other game birds, we get abit of venision from hubbys uncle but hubby has yet to get his deer stalking licence as theres ahuge waiting list which he never gets round to putting his name one, hubbsy uncle shoots atleast 1 usually 2 deer a month.

Oh and i've heard plenty of funny stories about animals coming back from the dead...some not so funny.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • RuthnJasper
    Options
    lol my hubby shoots so i also get pheasant, duck and other game birds, we get abit of venision from hubbys uncle but hubby has yet to get his deer stalking licence as theres ahuge waiting list which he never gets round to putting his name one, hubbsy uncle shoots atleast 1 usually 2 deer a month.

Oh and i've heard plenty of funny stories about animals coming back from the dead...some not so funny.

I have the funniest EVER one involving two elderly ladies and a nude turkey - and it's 100% true! But too far off-topic - remind me at Christmas-time! x
  • quintwins
    Options
    sounds interesting.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing