PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£7.00 per week - menu ideas

Options

Comments

• ajuk
    ajuk Posts: 233 Forumite
    Options
    Chicken Leg quarters are £1.09 at Aldi, Cheap frozen Sausages from farmfoods is another good one, have either with pasta or maybe frozen chips, and some tins of Smart Price Carrots, you might be able to even get some condiments to make it tastier such as Smart price mixed herbs to sprinkle on the chicken with some salt when it's raw.
  • ajuk
    Options
    OK so it's two people breakfast and lunch and dinner? :o It may be possible, but not healthy. I hope you like Sausages and pasta? I'm struggling to see how it's possible really, you may need to go trawling through the reductions a lot.
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ajuk wrote: »
    OK so it's two people breakfast and lunch and dinner? :o It may be possible, but not healthy. I hope you like Sausages and pasta? I'm struggling to see how it's possible really, you may need to go trawling through the reductions a lot.

Not a healthy long term soluation but it is do-able, a few of us did meal plans near the start and tried to get as much fruit and veg in as possible, def not 5 a day, but filling and ok for a week or 2 max.

Wow 3p peas pity none of us like mushy peas, at 3p i'd bet my dogs would :rotfl:
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    quintwins I use the mushy peas as a base for pea and bacon soup.
    ajuk you evidently haven't read all of the thread there are meal plans and recipes from page one
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    quintwins I use the mushy peas as a base for pea and bacon soup.
    ajuk you evidently haven't read all of the thread there are meal plans and recipes from page one

they don't like ham and pea soup either :( hubby acually really dislikes peas the rest of us eat peas but usually in casaroles.
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • ajuk
    Options
    I also suggest road kill.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    My hubby dislikes peas as well :( But the rest of us like them so he can have toast :p
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiration!! I have just read this thread from start to finish and I am amazed and in awe at the time and effort people have put in to helping the OP and each other. The ideas are fantastic, and I am definitely going to be trying a lot of them. Love the soup recipes, I live on soup in the winter, and I never thought of making pasta bakes with mock Philly and passata..... So many great ideas. Thank you so much you are all super stars :) x
  • hkminca
    hkminca Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Can I make a suggestion? Depending on where you live obviously, but there is lots of free food to be had by foraging.
    Think of all the apple trees out there that never get picked, or the blackberries, wild damson's, sloe's and plums?
    Don't forget it can always be worth asking, politely of course, if you see a tree in someone's garden that's full of fruit, if they'd mind if you took some for yourself. Most gardeners would rather their excess crops get used than go to waste.
    Then there's eldeberry flowers which can by eaten, dandelions for your greens, nettles for your tea and plenty of wild herbs out and about.
    If you're near the sea then look for cockles, whelks, seaweed or soft shelled crabs. Don't forget you can always try your hand at fishing!
    I'm no expert when it comes to foraging but even in patches of waste ground or parks you can probably find something.
    This time of year is the time to get out there and fill your freezers with lots of free fruit - to supplement the not so healthy, but cheap meals the rest of the year.

And if you don't fancy foraging, why not try enrolling for mystery dining? I did 3 years ago when we were short of money. We now eat out minimum once a week, for free, plus when we were short of cash it gave us something to look forward to.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    hkminca I am an avid forager and have been since the children were small, it just seems that we have gone backwards with all the cuts and have less now than we did 25 years ago and things were really tough then with 15% interest rates and there were no tax credits or childcare help then, you had to rely on family or friends, mind you we didn't have all the elf and safety pc nonsense in those days.
    I have just made 2 litres of rosehip syrup, 6 jars of apple and rosehip jam and still have 10kgs of onions to pickle :eek: ( I chat to a man on the market and he gave me a special deal £5 a bag:D) my local greengrocer wanted £10 a bag:eek:

I am off to see if there are any sweet chestnuts around at the weekend :D

This is one of my favourite sites
    http://www.self-sufficient.co.uk/foraging.htm
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income