MSE News: O2 network down: How to use your mobile and will I get compensation?

Options

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jamja wrote: »
    I'm on O2 and the first I knew about it was when I watched the news this morning - don't know if my phone was affected because I can't remember if I used it yesterday.... might have checked facebook? Or that might have been the day before....
    I must admit I only noticed after the news this Morning, however I did note a few people on Facebook were discussing it, but as I still had a signal, assumed it was just their phone.

I tested mine after I saw the news and noted that it would not ring out, after I rebooted it earlier, it worked fine for me. No harm done here as I was not expecting any calls. ;)
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • christine145
    Options
    02 posted this on their face book status a few hours ago
    "Now that our full network service has resumed, we remain focussed on identifying the root cause of the incident. We want to restore customer confidence and trust in us, so for those customers affected by the lack of service, we will be doing everything we can to make it up to them in an O2 way." wonder what an 02 way is
  • buscape
    buscape Posts: 874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JuicyJesus wrote: »
    They got on the problem quickly, and if it was a burglary as suspected then it's more or less out of their control.
    It was a caused by a faulty software upgrade apparently, so not really beyond their control.
    So no, nobody's being let out of their contracts.
    True. I think other networks have a clause that allows people out of contract in the event of a failure like this one, not entirely sure though.
  • WelshRarebit
    Options
    Hey people....just stop for one minute and consider what is actually happening here. Some of the comments posted just shows that for many, many people in today's "modern" society, mobile technology has become an almost drug like addiction and the moment that drug is withdrawn, even for the briefest of periods, the withdrawal symptoms quickly appear. Its like people are loosing touch with reality. How many of these folk who are complaining actually know how to use a payphone to contact someone? Know how to use a paper map when lost? Know how to write important information down on a piece of paper? This addiction with mobile technology will ultimately be the downfall of society.
  • grahaml221
    grahaml221 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    Well I wanted to ring Natwest :D
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Whatever happened to resilience? I seem to recall maybe 15 years or so ago that our business phones (G2 / GSM which was only just becoming widespread) would default (in our case) to the Vodafone network, but if that was unavailable or through user selection any other available network could be used (there would be supplementary charges). In much the same way when abroad they would find a selection of available networks to choose from.
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,321 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    buscape wrote: »
    True. I think other networks have a clause that allows people out of contract in the event of a failure like this one, not entirely sure though.

Do you honestly believe any company which ties people in to 24 month contracts to recover the cost of providing the "free" phone would have a clause in the contract to allow people to leave if they are without service for a day? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone see the news last night. Not sure which news channel it was, but they were interviewing hysterical people in the street who were all "OMG! what am I going to do if there's an emergency and need to call an ambulance"... They'd set up the camera such that there was a payphone in the background at the edge of the frame.

Genuis!
  • KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    Options
    O2 are lousy anyway, my sim stopped working for no reason and had to be "upgraded"...they sent me the sim of a woman from Manchester which started working in my phone and I got her hairdresser calling me.

They then faffed around for days and eventaully gave me £50 credit on my bill as compensation.

In all honesty, they were appalling and I can't wait until next month when I can dump them. Their latest failure is the icing on a cake made from dogsh1t for me.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • Lum
    Lum Posts: 6,460 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All telecoms companies are terrible. Everywhere. In every country.

Even with this outage O2 are still the least awful of the ones I've used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure