PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• StanwithaPlan
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I'm going to take a guess that, the bulbs are Edison Screw, while the lamp holder is Bayonet Cap?

Adapters available from Amazon UK, for 62p each, with free UK delivery.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lamp-Socket-Converter-B22-E27/dp/B003GSK5O4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412798641&sr=8-2&keywords=edison+screw+to+bayonet+cap+adaptor

I can tell the difference between a bayonet and a screw bulb! :p

Apparently my bayonet fittings are 22mm whereas the bulbs are 15mm ...
    DMP journey about to begin...
    £14,500ish to clear:eek:
    :jTime to get my life back!:j
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    I bet there has been some damage, and power supplies down with this storm, even though the wind has calmed down now, there is still rain, thunder and lightening. It must be one of the longest full on storms I can remember..
    Work to live= not live to work
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just lots of wind & the odd shower down here this morning. My chicken run tarp cover has blown down - must find a better way of keeping it up over the winter!

A grim day emotionally; just waiting for the courier to pick up DS3's luggage to go out to him in France, then I must take one of our cats on her final trip to the vet. I've also just heard that my stepfather has taken to his bed, probably for the last time, so my mother's going to need a lot of support over the next few weeks. The hospice are being wonderfully helpful in practical matters, but they can't be with her all the time, and whilst she does need some calm & space - when he's asleep; he's quite demanding & fretful when he's awake - she doesn't need time to let her anxieties build up.
    Angie - GC June 24: £155.43/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • the_cake
    the_cake Posts: 668 Forumite
    Options
    ((( hugs ))) thriftwizard, sounds like a tough day. Hope it goes as well as it can. Love, the cake xx
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Overall I think that we can learn a lot from our predecessors. They solved many of the problems that we might need to be aware off. Living off grid was the norm for most until the last century. Growing crops without fancy pesticides and fertilisers were solved by crop rotation and selective breeding. Coping without antibiotics and fancy medical tech were all dealt with quite adequately. Avoiding flooding was solved by not building in flood plains. Dealing with the uppity 1% and TPTB were solved with pitchforks and revolutions. There are plenty of solutions to problems out there you just have to find them.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Frugalsod wrote: »
    Coping without antibiotics and fancy medical tech were all dealt with quite adequately.

Apart from the ones who died from health problems which are dealt with very easily with modern medicine.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I think you will find it was me, who mentioned Carbolic Soap. :)

Oops............ sorry Bob x
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    thriftwizard, what an awful day :(
    ((((Hugs))))
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Lavandula_Rosemary
    Options
    Apologies for my rather brusque post on gloves/Ebola.:o Social skills are not my strongest point.

Sadly thin latex gloves will not stop the virus. It's transmitted by bodily fluids so it is actually not that easy to catch unless you are in direct condition with an infected person or their body fluids. Hence the reason why most people outside of Africa catching it are health professionals. Not saying it couldn't spread here but as an individual we are probably more likely to get hit by a bus.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I washed a lady's feet today and low and behold out came this reddy, browny, Beamish Museum smelling bar of soap - apparently carbolic. How canny. She thinks I would have to go to a local hardware store to get a bar. Her stash is years old so she couldn't help me nowadays. I said not to worry as I know a group of folk who could ;) Where does one get a bar of carbolic from these days? :D

And no, it's not panic buying to protect myself from Ebola because it's been mentioned here. It's because I'm a carer and think a disinfectant soap would be a very good call.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport