PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Bit calmer here now although still windy, lights flickered but stayed on. Yes loft boarded up by son, HA coming after the year to take the skylight away and slate it. Is just as well because that was some rain we had! Huge crash earlier outside but I couldn't see anything and wasn't going to open the door. No doubt will find out in the morning.
    I think weather needs to be one of our top preps, it seems to be getting more dramatic every year.
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    up here an hour ago winds howling and rain teeming down dog needed a pee the joys of mutterhood lol now cant sleep storm outside doing damage to my garden as cant hear my wind chimes anymore they prob in southern hemisphere by now. stay safe all xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Still sat here unable to sleep, chest is a bit looser, but th steroids make it hard to relax. Plus DD3 has been up and down with sickness all night so OH isn't doing much better than me.

I think I have got past the falling asleep place and now can't settle.
    Watching programs online to try to drift off lol.

At least I might get some sleep tomorrow if DD3 drops off, but OH is helping with the turkey preparations all day.

Stay safe, was howling here at one point, but seems a bit quieter now.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Morning all.

Up a bit earlier than is my ususal wont as want to be someplace at 8 am if I can get my arris in gear. Trying to squeeze a haircut in before w*rk so I don't look like a mop's head in the inevitable christmas photos.

ALI, glad it's been slightly less horrible for you. I've had 2 nights' broken sleep (TOTM) and have done the sofa-sleeping bit, too. I'd second the Olbas Oil recommendation, I've used it for years and it's really good for helping you rest. You can also carry some around on a tissue to sniff when you're out and about.

I detest colds because I work in a call centre and therefore my voice is the principle tool of my trade. If, like me, you have a pretty low-pitched voice anyway, and a cold drops it an octave due to hoarseness, it can start sounding like you'd be better off on a certain kind of chatline. I've had a few comical reactions over the years. Plus going into a coughing jag when talking to a customer is a grade A PITA, although the public are lovely about it, and sympathetic. We've all been there, right?

Mar, glad the patch is holding and that the HA is going to make the roof solid. Seems like the very best decision in the circumstances. Have you noticed the weather worsening very much in the time you've lived at your current location? I certainly don't recall anything like the sudden torrential downpours we get now in the summers of my childhood. I'm not talking ordinary rain, but those times when it just throws it down like something from the tropics.

:p Got stuck in a store in the city centre once. Was about to leave and the heavens opened, it was just a wall of water. The kind which would have soaked you to the skin in seconds. I loitered, went back onto the top floor of the store and then noticed a drip; looked up and water was coming in thru their ceiling! That was August, if memory serves.

sorryImoved; an international slur on the UK is that it rains all the time. This isn't strictly true. It's more that it can rain at any time, in any season, and probably will. It doesn't ususally last too long.

So you need to be prepared to be rained upon, regardless of it technically being the middle of summer. This is on account of being a small island in a cold sea. If you don't like the weather in the UK at any given time, don't stress it, some different weather will probably come along in a few minutes. Not necesessarily more pleasant, just different.:rotfl:

At some places and times, you can experience weather appropriate to all four seasons in a 24 hour period. It's one of the defining characteristics shaping the national psyche.

We gave the world the Wellington boot; this isn't accidental. And we talk about the weather a lot because we have a lot of it to talk about.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    Options
    I've been living here for over 30 years, 24 of them in this village, and I'd say in the last 8-10 years the weather here has got more extreme. We always get snow in winter, we always get high winds - but it seems lately there's more of it and it's more sudden and dramatic lol. I wouldn't mind if we got extreme heat though...
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I've been living here for over 30 years, 24 of them in this village, and I'd say in the last 8-10 years the weather here has got more extreme. We always get snow in winter, we always get high winds - but it seems lately there's more of it and it's more sudden and dramatic lol. I wouldn't mind if we got extreme heat though...
    :p Sez by a wumman 1,000 foot up a Scottish hill........... she wants extreme heat.

I had a fortnight of that in Cornwall this July. It's novel but debilitating, plus my red-headed lily-skinned self doesn't suit sunny weather. Burn, baby, burn.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • mardatha
    Options
    I've never had long enough in it to burn! :D:D I'm pale skinned and blue eyes but had black hair (when I was alive) so I don't really burn.
    Am quite miffed today because somebody up the road and lower than me has snow and I haven't! Snot fair. I have clear blue skies and cold but not even a frost. Weird.
  • Pink_Thrift
    Options
    Severe gale force winds here overnight and still ongoing at the moment. The power has gone off in some areas but we still have ours. I'm keeping my laptop charged up just in case. The forecast is for more of this on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We are staying indoors today. :D We'll check around outside when it calms down.
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Pink Thrift are you north of me on the west?

Power stayed on here but ferocious winds that have died away a bit - fishing boat out at 7.30. It's been snowing overnight and still doing so but not really settling - too wet.

I got a weather diary and outdoor stuff for chrimbo last year and have enjoyed recording the weather - an endless source of fascination to me, such power! Too early to note anything of import though.
    We do keep fishing diaries, and certainly the boat has been off more days this year than any we can recall in our 30 years at the fishing so definitely more wild weather.
    Right, need to get last minute stuff in the post and then potter about looking busy until I feel justified in picking up my knitting. Off work now until the 30th :-)
    I had a call from telecare last night that my elderly gentleman friend needed me - cutting a long story short I had to catch him as he fell to the bathroom floor and have done something to the remaining uncrumbled vertebrae, am hoping its just a pull or jarr, so taking it steadily today.

WCS
  • alfsmum
    alfsmum Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For those who like Branst@n Baked Beans and want to stock up, looks like they are 4 for £1 in Lidly at the end of the month

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=64116461&posted=1#post64116461
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport