PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

Hubby seems to think the threat of the blackouts, were just to side track us for the huge price hikes..

Up until now Hubby always sort of 'pampered' an agreed with things I said, just to shut me up:D BUT now he is taking things more seriously now.... Last night I said I wanted to find out if there was a cheap way of doing our own DIY solar panels etc, even if they would only maybe do the lights in one or two rooms etc.. As now I am totally fed up of the big companies more or less dictating to us how much we pay for things... If your type of food you eat goes up in price, you just stop eating it, and eat something else, but with energy/fuel you need it, even though you can switch providers, prices are still too high..

Hubby was looking at how to make your own solar panels on the net last night, but you needed 'solar cells' and he couldn't find anyone selling them in this country... most of the off grid books too were all from America..

do you know of any companies, or books etc that are for us in the uk???

Sorry it might be a bit off thread, But with Prices of EVERYTHING going up.. my SHTF is starting...:(( I am prob not along if this is one of the things peeps are prepping for)

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/readers-solutions/making-diy-solar-panels-your-grid-home

This is an interesting read about making your own solar panels
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 October 2013 at 6:41PM
    Options
    I'm wondering about those solar lamps for the garden, they sell in the pound shops.

If you got, say ten of them, and put them on the window ledge all day, to charge up, would they provide enough light, to illuminate a living room, for an evening?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Our coal was up yesterday WCS , 50p a bag. Faster than the speed of light lol.
    I pay £20 a month for elect to Co-op Energy, but my coal bill is £72 a fortnight!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Us that up BY 50p a bag, or up TO 50p a bag?
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Our coal was up yesterday WCS , 50p a bag. Faster than the speed of light lol.
    I pay £20 a month for elect to Co-op Energy, but my coal bill is £72 a fortnight!

Mine is £72/fortnight at the mo - £18 a bag - and we use £60/month elec as we went to electric for cooking when the calor cooker died. I'm going to use my dutch oven more on the fire, slow cooker etc and try and get the elec down a bit.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    BB it is50p per bag

We use more and more wood in our fire now... we have a coal fire that runs the central heating, but with the price of coal going up and up, we have burned more and more wood.

19 years ago we could buy 3 bags of coal from the garage, now its 1,
    Work to live= not live to work
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So how much is in a 50p bag of coal?
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    So how much is in a 50p bag of coal?

I mean it must have gone up by 50p per bag
    Work to live= not live to work
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    CTC, those wee bags from the garage are really dear - far better buy a proper bag from a coalman.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I trust everyone on this thread has a MANUAL tin opener? :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport