PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    metherer wrote: »
    Very true Bob. Get the cogs working in people's minds.

Quite.

Most people only thing about how to cope, when the problem has struck, by which time it's too late.

Something as simple and cheap as a box of candles, can make the difference between just surviving a power cut, and coping with same.
  • Wyre
    Wyre Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Now I have a dilemma. I was going to wait 'til the end of the month when some money is due in and order/buy some bits and pieces. However they may get held up in delivery if there is going to be snow or prices go up due to the news. I *could* order now using money put aside, but then if the money I am due doesn't come in then I can't put back into the emergency fund. Argh!
    Spam Reporter Extraordinaire

A star from Sue-UU is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day!
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    :)
    I wondered about that too....:)
    I used an ordinary colander and it worked great.:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What sort of things were/are you planning to buy Wyre?
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2013 at 5:20PM
    Options
    Done that already Mar - and was patronised by an explanation of "averages" - we had words needless to say!!! Appears it is correct - the lower rises will for those with dual-fuel arrangements - I'm in a minority apparently (for a change!). Had a look at the switching thing and cannot get it any cheaper - bl**dy shysters!!!!

Thanks for the info Lynn - will have to have a trip to Ikea before christmas - its 180 mile round trip so will wait until I have a wee list!! I've seen them on ebay, but would prefer to wait to take advantage of the buy one/donate one deal.

Saw the news Suzy about the strike - for us it usually means that our supplies are diverted to keep cities moving, so shall make sure the car is filled up.

Managed to halve my house/contents insurance though - more and more insurers are insuring wooden houses now, giving a bit of choice which is nice.

It just keeps getting harder though doesn't it? Been trying to tweak my budget a bit but there's nothing that isn't squeaking already!!!!

edited to add: Metherer there was snow north of us in the Cairngorms on Wednesday - Mar put a newslink a couple of pages back.
    also............. been thinking and I expect the coalman will be the next to put up prices??

WCS
  • Wyre
    Wyre Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I need coal and kindling for a start (no boiler for yet another year!). Was looking at the candles/torches/batteries/windup lanterns as I absolutely expect powercuts. Some emergency blanket things (one for the car as hubby has a long drive each day and want to make some cardboard shutters with them on for the windows downstairs).

I think I have decided to buy the stuff and hope the money comes in.
    Spam Reporter Extraordinaire

A star from Sue-UU is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day!
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Options
    Due to the link put on here about the possible strike in Scotland. I poste this on another thread..

'' I know I was too young to actually take in the what was what in the 70's, but does all the latest news have the feel of a winter of discontent?''
    Work to live= not live to work
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 October 2013 at 5:53PM
    Options
    Wyre wrote: »
    I need coal and kindling for a start

Can't help you there I'm afraid.
    Was looking at the candles/torches/batteries/windup lanterns as I absolutely expect power cuts.

Torches and candles are as cheap as anything right now.

Torches (and fairly decent ones too) can be had from the pound shops, as can batteries.

ASDA have a fair selection of candles, at reasonable prices.

They do a pack of 6 pillar candles (28 hour, if memory serves) for £5.

http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-White-Pillar-Candles---6-Pack/001719286,default,pd.html

Throw in 100 tealights for £2 (as an emergency backup), and you can have two torches, a pack of batteries, and the candles, for a tenner. :cool:

Alternatively, a Hurricane lamp, and 4 Litres of paraffin, will keep you going for about 160 hours, for about the same price.
    Some emergency blanket things

Packs of two at the pound stores.

As you mentioned coal and kindling, I'm guessing boiling a kettle, and cooking, won't be a problem?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    WCS have a look at them online and check that the store you're going to actually has some in stock or perhaps could get you one in to the store?

WYRE I think that's a wise decision, it would be better to have the stores in and not need them than to not have them and have problems. The money in the bank won't keep you warm in a snowstorm will it? Better to have it invested in things to make your life more comfortable and replace it as and when!!!

CTC I don't know about it feeling like a winter of discontent, it feels like a year of discontent to me!!! and it will probably get more discontented as time goes on won't it? Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 October 2013 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Bought a gas canister support.
    $T2eC16N,!)!E9s2f!qbYBRGRScjD5g~~60_35.JPG
    Looks like I'll need some tiny elastic bands, as the ground spikes keep falling out of the storage recesses. :mad:

TBH, I think I'll need to invest in some proper, wire tent pegs, as the plastic spikes that came with it, don't look like they're up to be pushed into anything firmer than beach sand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport