PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• westcoastscot
    Options
    Hi Fuddle,
    Don't worry pet - I live in the middle house in a terrace of wooden houses, and have realised that worrying will not solve anything. I've talked about my house-keeping before, and always plan to stay put unless the fabric of the house is in danger. If the houses burnt down I have a fire-proof box with essential papers in them, and I'd let the rest burn so long as my loved ones were safe and well. We have a change of clothes in the car just for such an emergency and no amount of prepping would ease the situation for someone in my position. Make sensible preps and then put it out of your mind.

I'm interested in those ikea solar lamps too - do they give enough light to knit by?

had our prospective usage from hydroboard (SSE) and intimation of price rise - they say 8%, but it's actually forecast to go up from £60/month to £75 a month! a bit more then. So glad we have the stove for heating and hot water.

WCS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    FUDDLE don't worry about the communal living aspect of flats, DD1 lived in a block of flats on the 3rd and 4th floors for years before she bought her house and they were very well fire alarmed and had a direct link to the fire station so if an alarm went off they could open up huge vents in the side of the building and get the firemen to them asap. Never had a problem except when someone accidentally broke an alarm panel at 2 in the morning coming into the entrance hall and the whole caboodle went off and in came the fireservice. It worked like it was meant to but they all got very cold as the building was evacuated to make sure it was all safe. Modern building regs and safety regs are really sound. Don't look on it as not prepping pet, look on it as finally fully prepped for your new life and taking a well earned break from it all until then, I'm sure all your packed boxes will be fine until you get there!!!

WCS the Ikea Sunnan lamps are very good, we read perfectly well by ours and they give a good light all evening, we've experimented to see how long the light lasts and managed, albeit dimmer by morning, overnight with the lamp on and still enough light to see by. They are a good product and I believe that when you buy one here in this country the price also includes the giving of another one just the same to a third world community that doesn't have an electricity supply, so good all round.

WLL glad you've found your Mouli they are so useful, well done, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    WCS 8% added to £60 is not £75! Pick up the phone and ask them to get their wee beads oot and coont again! Don't pay it!! :mad:
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For Scottish mousies we might need to have a wee bit prep sooner rather than later if the strike at Grangemouth goes ahead. Here is the link to the bbc story.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-24501261
    Every days a School day!
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone seen this?
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November#.UlkSqAaJxeo.facebook

whether true or not, our preps will stand us in good stead. I'm shopping for a spare pair of yaxtrax i think, to keep at work.
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    suzybloo wrote: »
    For Scottish mousies we might need to have a wee bit prep sooner rather than later if the strike at Grangemouth goes ahead. Here is the link to the bbc story.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-24501261

That would not just affect Scotland, knock on effect all over me thinks...Lovely! (sarc)
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    WCS 8% added to £60 is not £75! Pick up the phone and ask them to get their wee beads oot and coont again! Don't pay it!! :mad:

No the figures are right... it's the same metric they use to calculate inflation and GDP growth. Nothing like real world figures.

Dearie me I thought everyone knew about 'them' calculations?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It strikes me, a short power cut now, while the weather is still comparatively mild, would potentially save lives later, if we subsequently get cuts when the weather is really bad.

There's nothing like a "taste of things to come", to encourage people to prepare for the worst.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Picked up a Borderline Venturepak 1000 daysack, at the market, for a very reasonable £6.

I'm going to kit it out as an Urban Survival Pack.
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Very true Bob. Get the cogs working in people's minds.
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport