PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    CTC yes, our fire stays on 24/7 most of the year and the walls get hot and retain heat. When we let the fire go out it takes 2 days for the place to coll down.
    Ali thats bad, pet, you need to keep yourself warm and take care xx
  • bluebag
    bluebag Posts: 2,450 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ALIBOBSY,

You need to take care of yourself hon, that stuff is scary. I have breathing problems myself and know how quickly it can go west.

Make sure you keep warm.
  • cornishchick
    Options
    ALIBOBSY wrote: »
    I am no where near old enough lol.

Ali x
    Sorry lol. But thought you posted about health problems,
    Warm home discount is not just age related,
    Under the WHDS, suppliers have discretion over which households fall under their Broader group criteria. Each company has its own set of qualifying conditions.

So could still be worth a look for anyone with health issues .
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • daz378
    daz378 Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    off work next week ..... just checked nearest ikea store to salford is ashton under lyne.... unless anyone knows different?
  • sorryImoved
    Options
    I live in Florida and have been quietly putting supplies away for a couple of years. Today the government food card called the EBT experienced a glitch in the system and many people could not use it to pay for food. I am sickened by the response of people that are calling for riots and a run on food stores. People thought that the government had stopped the program when it truly was a computer problem. At least that's what we are being told. I don't know anyone who is on that program but by the horrible things being posted here in the US I am deeply worried. People have turned into animals within hours of this news. I don't know what would happen if this issue was not resolved but I am glad that I have enough put by to take care of my family. I know this is not a UK issue but since I have learned so much from this forum I want to thank you all. Who knows what is around the corner. I really enjoy all of the tips I get from reading your posts.
  • Perplexed_Pineapple
    Options
    What has happened with the EBT cards has some parallels with what happened with the Cypriot banking system, if I understand it correctly - the causes different but the results the same, people with suddenly no access to cash for groceries. The moral of the story I guess is not to put your trust entirely in governments or computerised banking systems. sorryImoved, thanks for your post, always interesting to hear from people with their feet on the ground (both literally and metaphorically).
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2013 at 9:07AM
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    I am on EDF's March 2014 fix. I would love to take the new 4 year fix they are offering, but will have to pay a fine if I switch. How annoying, eh?

Anyone know a solution to this?
    Sorry if this has been answered, (catching up this morning) I am with EDF and I was on the June 2014 fix, logged on the other night and chanched tariff on their website though my account, to EDF's 2015 one. I did see a much longer deal but the price rise was far too much a month. Would have taken my duel fuel payment from £76 to £95!

While I am here, hubby ordered some mess tin cooking sets off a guy on another forum, two mess tines, two cutlery sets, a hexamine stove and pack of fuel tablets for a Fiver. They are very cheap looking, but got 4 sets to keep one each in our cars and one each to go in the sets I am doing for gifts. Will keep some tins in the car (actually, I think I will move the BOB to the car as I never more than half a mile from it!) then at least I can make the children a hot meal if TSHTF mildly. (Slightly concerned about the aluminium but not sure why, still, only for emergencies).

The EBT thing in America is a bit worrying... was it maybe a test run to see what would happen? I saw it didn't happen in central New York, maybe that would have been too much of a risk... Maybe this will prompt people to buy a little extra this time? Seriously suspicious me thinks...
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,783 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get one of the curtain poles that move with the door?

I use my summer t-shirts as a layer in winter. Got thermals for OH for his work (£8 in Mr A's).

Hi Google portieres and they should come up. I've got one but can't remember who I got it off. HTH
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • Wyre
    Wyre Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2013 at 10:09AM
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Can't help you there I'm afraid.

Torches and candles are as cheap as anything right now.

Torches (and fairly decent ones too) can be had from the pound shops, as can batteries.

ASDA have a fair selection of candles, at reasonable prices.

They do a pack of 6 pillar candles (28 hour, if memory serves) for £5.

http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-White-Pillar-Candles---6-Pack/001719286,default,pd.html

Throw in 100 tealights for £2 (as an emergency backup), and you can have two torches, a pack of batteries, and the candles, for a tenner. :cool:

Alternatively, a Hurricane lamp, and 4 Litres of paraffin, will keep you going for about 160 hours, for about the same price.

Packs of two at the pound stores.

As you mentioned coal and kindling, I'm guessing boiling a kettle, and cooking, won't be a problem?

Thanks Bob,

We do have some torches/candles and so on but they seem to be spread round the house so I am buying more to put in an 'emergency box'. We bought quite a few early this year and haven't used any.

Fortunately I know from experience that our gas stove works without power. Also due to the kids cadets and my larping, we have mess tins and the like should the need arise to cook on the camping stove.

I was on eb*y earlier and bought my slipper boots - I have size 10 feet so most normal shops don't cater for me unless I want men's stuff. I do use men's boots and trainers but I couldn't find any slippers I liked. I also found this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28-x-BUTANE-GAS-BOTTLES-CANISTERS-FOR-CAMPING-HEATER-BBQ-STOVE-/121086302637

They fit our heater and are under a pound a cannister so I went for it.

I shall get hubby to run me to A$da for more candles and tealights, and hit the poundshop tomorrow and see if they have the emergency blankets. If not I know they are available on eb*y.

I am poking hubby to sort out a box for the car. We have just been given a new one so everything was taken out of the old one and nothing has been put back yet! I worry about him getting stuck a queue for the bridge or on the other side of the other river he has to get across.
    Spam Reporter Extraordinaire

A star from Sue-UU is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day!
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport