PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wyre have you got a link to the slipper boots you bought? I have size 8/9 feet and struggle getting ladies ones. The last pair I got have oddly become too saggy now though and I am worried about wearing them on the stairs in case I fall.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Wyre wrote: »
    we have mess tins and the like should the need arise to cook on the camping stove.

You don't HAVE to use mess tins, on a camping stove.

Ordinary pans work too.

One thing I would recommend, for use on a camping stove, is a kettle. They're not expensive (a couple of quid for a cheap one), and save gas.

When backpacking for just a few days, the extra weight and bulk isn't really justified, for the gas saving, but at home (especially for protracted/repeated power cut), it's worthwhile.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I live in Florida and have been quietly putting supplies away for a couple of years. Today the government food card called the EBT experienced a glitch in the system and many people could not use it to pay for food. I am sickened by the response of people that are calling for riots and a run on food stores. People thought that the government had stopped the program when it truly was a computer problem. At least that's what we are being told. I don't know anyone who is on that program but by the horrible things being posted here in the US I am deeply worried. People have turned into animals within hours of this news. I don't know what would happen if this issue was not resolved but I am glad that I have enough put by to take care of my family. I know this is not a UK issue but since I have learned so much from this forum I want to thank you all. Who knows what is around the corner. I really enjoy all of the tips I get from reading your posts.
    :( OMG, that sounds like a terrifying thing. The olf-quoted line about being 9 meals from anarchy springs to mind.

This EBT card, what does the abbreviation stand for, please? And is this what gets referred to as "food stamps" in a modern electronic form? In the UK social security payments go straight into bank accounts although there are rumblings from time to time about doing something similar to the US system.

Does your user name mean you emigrated from elsewhere to Florida? Lots of ex-pat Brits in Florida, I hear.

I've often thought that TV/ internet and social security are the "bread and circuses" of the modern world, used to manage the general population in a way that the patricians of ancient Rome would recognise very easily.

Trouble was, that supplying the "corn dole" to the citizenry back in Rome required ever more foriegn conquests, supplying the lavish Games was a political necessity to win support at home. What was it Mark Twain said? Something along the lines of history not repeating itself but it does rhyme........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 October 2013 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Hi Greyqueen, EBT is electronic benefits transfer, and my understanding is that it allows gubment to control where and what you spend, and what you purchase. On reading the news I hear folks advising to buy a little extra, but my understanding is that may not be possible with EBT, seeing has how it is a minimal amount and monitored? Not a situation anyone would want to be in eh?

edited to add: there was talk a while back about doing something here with Asda? cannot remember what exactly but worrying for people here as we're 150 mile round to trip to the nearest one! Off to have a search and see if I can find it again

edited again to add this:
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/mar/29/asda-welfare-scheme-birmingham - the thin end of the wedge I thought at the time!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DH just brought in the solar lamps he had "borrowed" months ago so we now have about four of them on the living room windowsill ready to charge up.

Grey Queen

Lots of people have taken up archery as a result of "the Hunger Games" books and films. If friend brings up the question again then mentioning the films and how it reminded you of a childhood ambition could deflect idea of prepping. I would not mention shooting or woodcraft though ;)

Going to check on roast lamb for lunch as trying new recipe.

Hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 October 2013 at 12:46PM
    Options
    unixgirluk wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get one of the curtain poles that move with the door?
    If you are talking a pole that attaches to the door I guess a standard curtain pole would do. The problem with some poles - is that the fitments make them stand too proud of the wall - imo.
    That said - what I've done with the entrance to the stairs (where there used to be a door) is screw in a couple of cup hooks at the top, rest a length of thickish garden cane in the hooks and drape over an old throw. Rather than hem a slot for the 'pole' at the top I put in a few staples - which you can't see.
    I have another cup hook half way down on one side which I use for a tie back when I want to keep it open. Though I could also just move the fabric along the pole.
    No drills or nails involved! :D
  • Wyre
    Wyre Posts: 463 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    ragz wrote: »
    Wyre have you got a link to the slipper boots you bought? I have size 8/9 feet and struggle getting ladies ones. The last pair I got have oddly become too saggy now though and I am worried about wearing them on the stairs in case I fall.

I didn't go for hugely up the legs ones, more like ankle boots. Here's the link:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COOLERS-FURRY-WARM-LINED-ANKLE-BOOTS-BOOTEES-SNUGG-SLIPPERS-sizes-6-to-11-Unisex-/390655882180

Just back from the shops. Picked up 6 candles for fiver, some more tealights and some dried milk from the supermarket and coal, having done our comparisons based on 10kg bags was found to be cheapest in Home Bargains - cheaper than both the Co-0p garage and B&Q.

Hubby even looked at CPL and the coal merchant nearby. While overall the coal merchant would be cheaper for the bigger bags, he isn't open hours when Hubby can get there (closes at 1pm on Thursdays and Fridays, 12pm on Saturday 3pm on other days but not open at all Sunday). We would need to factor in the fuel to get there as well as storage. The saving wasn't big enough warrant the aggravation.
    Spam Reporter Extraordinaire

A star from Sue-UU is like a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day!
    :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    A coal merchant will deliver Wyre ... he will have a regular run -just ask when he comes to your area would he stick on a couple bags for you.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Hi.

Don't coal merchants deliver coal anymore? Admittedly our family haven't had coal since the 1970s but we always used to have "the coalman" deliver it.

My Mum has a mischieveous sense of humour and one day the coalman came around and just shot the usual quantity into the bunker without asking if/ or how much she wanted.

She told him she didn't actually want any and let him stew for a few seconds whilst he contemplated shovelling that all back into the sacks before having mercy and telling him she was only teasing.

One thing the folks used to do back in the 60s and 70s when we were using coal was to buy it even in the summer, as if they left it all to the winter quarter we wouldn't have enough money to pay for it, esp as a labourer like my Dad was back in those days couldn't get the overtime with the shorter daylight.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Welcome sorryImoved, it is lovely to hear from other like minded people from all over.
    I hope EBT doesn't come here because you are tied to the "company store " and you are only allowed to buy certain things and all of what you buy is logged by the grubbyments, it is a way of keeping people under the grubbyment's jack boots. They can't go to a butcher, market or cheaper shop such as Aldi or Lidl, they can only buy cheap crap from Asda which is owned by Walmart a US company that treats its workers like dirt, that is why I avoid them if I can.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business