Do your own wedding flowers

Options

Comments

• LizD_2
    LizD_2 Posts: 1,503 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can recommend Global Flora in Bournemouth http://www.globalflora.co.uk/. They're a wholesaler, but they sell to the public as well (add VAT). Very helpful and knowledgeable. I bought 60 roses, 30 hyacinths, 20 tulips, eucalyptus foliage and a big bundle of ivy for about £85 plus VAT 2 years ago.

I wouldn't recommend doing the flowers, the cake and the bridesmaids dresses all yourself though! We were still sewing on buttons when the car arrived!
  • debs2327
    debs2327 Posts: 1,172 Forumite
    Options
    Inspired by this thread, I created my own bouquet, buttonholes for attendants and also my bridesmaid posy for my civil ceremony at a local museum and art gallery. As I had never made anything like this before, I wanted to keep it simple so stuck to a simple pallet of colours.

I thought I might share the results with you.

I ordered the large cream roses and greenery used in my bouquet from Marks and Spencers (delivered the day before) and then bought slimmer roses for the buttonholes and bridesmaid posy from Tesco (cost less than £5). The bouquet were made on the morning of the ceremony (my ceremony wasn't until 4pm). I made the buttonholes the day before.

I also used bay from my tree in the garden and some ivy which a friend kindly donated, to decorate the bannister in my house. I used cream silk garlands to add colour to these.

bouquet.jpg

lapel.jpg

bridesmaid.jpg

bannister.jpg
    wow love them , well done love the simpicity of them and still so effective xx
    wins :- x2 hair dyes ,mascara, epilator,personalised card , glass photo ,
    comp angels please throw some luck my way
    :D:j:D:A:)
  • Tigerlilley1980
    Tigerlilley1980 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone here are my attempts at the bridesmaid bouquets, I am going to tie organza ribbon around the stems, but can't decide whether it should be burgundy or ivory let me know what you think, Tiger x
    P1010063.jpg
    Married the most amazing man 05/12/09 and it was the best day ever, I'm a Mrs, he he!!
    :j
    Wins 2009: Peroni Alessi bowl woohoo, 1 in 10 wins DVD from Maltesers, Avon lippy!!!
    Freebies-Bold Gel, Coffee
    Pinecone Research - £9
    Mystery Shopping - £15
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I love them Tiger! x
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Sarah_Joanne
    Sarah_Joanne Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    Tigerlilley they are lovely!

Does anyone have any ideas on what i could have for a bouquet in purple? MAybe with some gold accent? I'm really stuck for ideas!

Thanks!
  • bluemeanie999
    Options
    go with your bm colour-scheme Tiger - they are lovely
    Got married on 1st August :beer:

thank you to everyone on the weddings and anniversary forum xxx

Jayne x
  • Dreamy
    Dreamy Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    I did all the flowers for our wedding
    my tear drop about 3ft
    5 bridesmaids
    two table centers
    from false flowers cost me less then I was quoted for a small tear drop including the plastic hand held bits with the oasis on that you can push the flowers into my friend cold glue gun glued hers in and I wired mine into place
    it was so much easier then trying to do it the day before and thank god I didn't what with the vale drama.
    Everyone comented on how nice they where and no stress !
  • Tigerlilley1980
    Options
    In the end I decided to use ivory organza ribbon and they look beautiful! I have also made 4 buttonholes for the men. H2B has a double buttonhole with an ivory and burgundy rose and I stuck some more diamante pins in the middle of the roses like the BM's flowers. The buttonholes came with a fern instead of a leaf, so I cut them all off and used some left over leaves I had from the BM's flowers and florist tape to secure them. The othet men such as best man and the Dad's have got a single burgundy rose with a diamante pin in. They look gorgeous and only cost a fiver for the lot! Tiger x
    Married the most amazing man 05/12/09 and it was the best day ever, I'm a Mrs, he he!!
    :j
    Wins 2009: Peroni Alessi bowl woohoo, 1 in 10 wins DVD from Maltesers, Avon lippy!!!
    Freebies-Bold Gel, Coffee
    Pinecone Research - £9
    Mystery Shopping - £15
  • natc
    natc Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone heard of country baskets? Theres a warehouse near Leeds. They sell all sorts! They do a lot of artificial flowers and other bits and bobs, ribbons, diamantes, florist tape, artifical leaves etc, they have a wide selection of stuff. Someone mentioned earlier about wicker baskets, im sure they sell them too. My friend recently got married, she bought all her artifical flowers from there, you can get individual flower stems, she made a big bouquet, beige roses, with diamantes pushed into middle, and leaves around the edges, and also dome brown/cream feathery bits, and made 3 smaller bouquets alike for bridesmaid. I must say they looked lovely and proffesional. Its amazing what ya can do when you put ya mind to it. I will be having a trip there for mine! Cost her about £20 altogether for hers and bridesmaids.

http://www.countrybaskets.co.uk/index.html It says that you need to be in trade, but my friend managed to get one....somehow!!!
  • rinroo
    rinroo Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    natc wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of country baskets? Theres a warehouse near Leeds. They sell all sorts! They do a lot of artificial flowers and other bits and bobs, ribbons, diamantes, florist tape, artifical leaves etc, they have a wide selection of stuff. Someone mentioned earlier about wicker baskets, im sure they sell them too. My friend recently got married, she bought all her artifical flowers from there, you can get individual flower stems, she made a big bouquet, beige roses, with diamantes pushed into middle, and leaves around the edges, and also dome brown/cream feathery bits, and made 3 smaller bouquets alike for bridesmaid. I must say they looked lovely and proffesional. Its amazing what ya can do when you put ya mind to it. I will be having a trip there for mine! Cost her about £20 altogether for hers and bridesmaids.

http://www.countrybaskets.co.uk/index.html It says that you need to be in trade, but my friend managed to get one....somehow!!!

Thats where my flowers will be coming from, my friend has a card and will be taking me in for flowers, and other bits to decorate my venue. I'm also going to be getting the glass bowls for my table centrepieces from there too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure