should i put one of my sons in care?

Options
1235»

Comments

• DrFluffy
    DrFluffy Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    Options
    Not the same Paul Shattock who subscribes to the definite link between Autism and MMR theory?????

If you have real cause for concern re: gluten and casein intollerance, simply tell your GP your concerns and ask them to run the tests.

Interestingly, nearly all humans have some degree of casein intollerance as mammals are not designed to run on milk past childhood... A genetic mutation appeared some several thousand years ago, that allows some of us to cope with milk...
    April Grocery Challenge £81/£120
  • **Patty**
    **Patty** Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    I think you're referring to Andrew Wakefield ;)
    Autism Mum Survival Kit: Duct tape, Polyfilla, WD40, Batteries (lots of),various chargers, vats of coffee, bacon & wine. :)
  • DrFluffy
    Options
    No - I'm refering to the guy who is heavily entwined with Wakefield...
  • DrFluffy
    Options
    I knew I knew the name and connection - google found it though ;)
    http://www.kevinleitch.co.uk/wp/?p=341

Edit: and from the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/features/article1362781.ece
    (By the way, if Shattock, a pharmacist at the University of Sunderland, seems familiar, it is because he said he had found a group of children whose autism was “caused” by the MMR vaccine. So compelling was this evidence that no leading journal published it.)
  • **Patty**
    **Patty** Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    Options
    Mmmm..and have you read that?

All of it?

I wasn't saying Shattock has the answer any more than Wakefield did (which incidentaly, he didn't IMO )...just that Osiris DOES offer urine testing for ASD /ADHD children, should the OP be unable to obtain this from local sources.

:)

:)
    Autism Mum Survival Kit: Duct tape, Polyfilla, WD40, Batteries (lots of),various chargers, vats of coffee, bacon & wine. :)
  • DrFluffy
    Options
    Yes, actually I have - having a very keen interest in gastroenterology and having more than a number of autistic spectrum peeps in my family than random chance should allow!

Playing on parents worry and fears so they end up going through such routes exacerbates the problem, and fuels such unsafe science as that promoted by Shattock. I have to say it worries me greatly!

The sensitivity and specificity of the urine analysis is no where close enough to be diagnostically useful. That said, I have to admit that I'm not against number gathering for further validation, but such RESEARCh should not be charged out at £60 a go!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport