should i put one of my sons in care?

Options
need some advice please. I have brought up my twin sons alone for the last 11 years with no support or help from my ex husband.
Both boys are a real handful, they have attention defecit hyperactivity disorder as well as oppositional defiant disorder. both lads take a lot of medication, to try and control there tempers/ behavious.
anyway they are always fighting and can be extremely violent. one is at a special school, unfortunatly there was no place for the other so he went to a mainstream high school, and was eventually permanently excluded. after seeing their pychiatrist today and explaining how bad they were getting, he has suggested the best solution would be to seperate them, ie. one going into care.
i'm at my wits end and dont know what to do, i cant cope with things as they are at the mo, but equally i dont think i could face putting one of my sons in care.
i have no family to give me help or support, and my friends cant help out too, as they have kids of there own
thanks for reading, any advice will be gratefully received
enjoy life, we only get one chance at it:)

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Before you even think about putting one of your children into care, why don't you simply approach social services for some help? There are all sorts of schemes to help parents particularly in situations like yours. They may be able to offer regular respite, help around the home and access to services which may be of benefit for you.

I am appalled that a psychiatrist has made this suggestion withou suggesting you explore what is available to you first.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but there must be some kind of support groups and charities willing to help? My son has ASD and I get tons of support. You can also ask your GP for help, do not hesitate. Best of luck!
  • Horasio
    Horasio Posts: 6,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you sure they are not just high spirited.

My son wasn't able to sit still till he reached 11 years old. He slept OK tho'

The amount of trouble I got from schools was terrible. My OH wasn't much use either.

I fully sympathise - I'm sure it is boys
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • sarahlouise210
    sarahlouise210 Posts: 3,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have 2 challenging children ...we regularly see a psychiatrist ...NEVER has he ever implied that either should go into care - despite the fact that I myself have health problems! I would never expect him to do so so and honestly think it must be unethical for them to suggest it! How could you choose ..even at the end of your tether these boys are your responsibility, your own flesh and blood and TWINS! If you really feel you cannot cope then after finding out overy avenue of help the only way out would be to put BOTH into care! To contemplate choosing one is unthinkable. I think maybe the psychiatrist should have considered maybe a different medication, cognitive behaviour therapy, respite...anthing but separate you all. I am shocked and feel for you even to ask if you should consider it you must be really down and need help yourself.
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • Slapps
    Slapps Posts: 654 Forumite
    Options
    can't offer any advice other than wot's been given but i felt the need to send you a hug cos you sound like you could do with one

(((((((((((((((((((((((((shazrobo)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

xxxx
    1st son born 11/02/05 2nd son born 09/01/08
    thats all i'm adding to the human race so think yourselfs lucky lol
  • fabianne
    fabianne Posts: 210 Forumite
    Options
    I can only repeat what others have said-ask for some support from your doctor or Social Services.
    I don't know what else to say to you,but I personally would never be able to 'choose' between my children....and you may live to regret this.This may be a black moment in time for you-please ask for help and see if you can get a break from the constant hard work/battle?
    Take care xx
    Fabi x
  • lebly
    lebly Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Hi i am sorry you are having such problems. I have twin boys 4 going on5 both are awful, tempers, fighting, constantly having myself and my partner close to tears. I really do not think having them separated would be helpful. the bond twins have is beyond our comprehension and I do not know if it would make the matter worse if they were separated.

I would go down the route as an earlier post suggested and go to ss. I know my boys would be devastated if they were separated they get by on being apart for about 1/2 hour tops and they were not even identical.

Also would go to tamba for advice tehy may have come across this before.

Good luck xx
  • Janepig
    Janepig Posts: 16,780 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you want whichever child you decide to put into "care" (as if you could ever choose) to get worse, mix with whoever he wants without you knowing, being allowed to do as he likes, and generally be on the slippery slope to big trouble, then I would avoid putting either of them into "care" at all costs. I've often seen parents do this believing it was best for their child, only for that child to turn to crime/drugs, etc.. while social services turn a blind eye.

Hope you get the help you need soon.

Jxx
    And it looks like we made it once again
    Yes it looks like we made it to the end
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    SHAZROBO - I note that you live in the wakefield area, are you under the CAHMS Team? Do you not have a case co-ordinator? You need to speak to Social Services asap, you seem like you are caught between a rock and hard place at the moment, but what is certain is that you need support. Also worth a try is the PALS service at Fieldhead - I would raise my concerns there about the sugguestions of the Psychiatrist.
  • misfire
    misfire Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Can't offer much advise but just wanted to offer cyber support.

Are there any local voluntary/charity/church groups who can help? It would be good to meet up with other mums who know exactly what it is like. Is it TAMBA the twin association could they help??? i am sure you are not the only twin mum who has had problems like this. Sorry sounds crap advise but was best i could think of at the mo.

I really hope you can find some help and support locally.
    Debt free May 2016 (without the support of MSE forum users that would never have been possible - thank you all)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure