Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

What Value things have you tried and liked? - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

What Value things have you tried and liked?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 163.2K views

Replies

• hiya! other side of town to me (but thats where i worked for 8 years until i had my girls and moved this side) will pop in next time i visit my parents and grab some tho!
  • CCStarCCStar Forumite
    6.7K posts
    I am very fussy about my meat and eggs - I only get free range.

Meat is picked if it looks good but the chicken breast looks like it has been soaked in water to get plumped up

My OH only likes Heinz ketchup and tomato soup but the sauce lasts for ages.

Otherwise I am willing to try value versions of items. Saves a fortune.

Might try the toilet rolls -we get our branded ones from Cash and Carry in bulk
    An average day in my life:hello: :eek::mad: :coffee::coffee::coffee::T :o :rotfl: :rotfl: :p :eek::mad: :beer:
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • Ms_Piggy_2Ms_Piggy_2 Forumite
    357 posts
    I think the difference is possibly from the chicken's point of view.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd always thought that *value meat* was either from animals subjected to lower welfare standards, or imported (which can often mean the same thing).

Penny. x

Totally agree.

In addition, 'value' type meat products often have a lot of water added and shrink when cooked.
  • CCStar wrote: »
    I am very fussy about my meat and eggs - I only get free range.

Meat is picked if it looks good but the chicken breast looks like it has been soaked in water to get plumped up

My OH only likes Heinz ketchup and tomato soup but the sauce lasts for ages.

Otherwise I am willing to try value versions of items. Saves a fortune.

Might try the toilet rolls -we get our branded ones from Cash and Carry in bulk

Oh yeah forgot eggs, soup and mayo. I do feel a little guilty about the hens being caged and prior to finding out hubbys debt I used to buy organic free range eggs and free range meat. But unfortunately money takes priority now :( But in 2 years we'll be able to afford free range eggs and meat again.

My hubby always swore he'd never eat value ketchup or beans, but now he has no choice he admits they aren't as bad as he made out. Sure, we prefer heinz, but the value stuff isn't that bad.

Do they make value BBQ sauce anywhere? Haven't been able to find that?

• pigpenpigpen Forumite
    37.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use ALL tesco value brands.. tins, wash powder, noodles, cheese, cooked meat, flour, biscuits (I actually prefer these as they are not as sugary as most other biscuits) cereal bars (my 2 year old lives on these) occasioanlly the lemonade. The fresh meat is also good, you just have to flick through it sometimes to find the nicer cuts of meat.. but it is all good stuff for stir fries and casseroles and pies!! Always the value fruit and veg.. fruit is fruit and veg is veg as far as I can see.. and who cares if you have a few bent carrots.. they all go down same way! Value baby wipes as well.. excellent for cleaning and cheap too!

the pasta isn't nice, nor is the pasta sauce (we tried that last night.. YUK!!) the value cereals are not nice either. The value frozen chicken nuggets are foul (no pun intended).. all of these I still buy the tesco brand just the next cheapest one up.. which are all fine. We don't get the value juice either, or the bread, it is always stale on the shelves!! Not the teabags either.. they make grey tasteless tea.. bleurgh!! Value nappies are just rubbish.. my LO even refused to wear them lol.

I also buy a lot of the tesco value t-shirts.. perfect for pe kits and nursery, we go through loads of them and I don't mind using them as floor cloths after being worn 3-4 times!.. I especially like to buy them reduced!!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2020 £47457.61 (2.41% int.)
  • sissy_2sissy_2 Forumite
    64 posts
    I have to admit to bulk buying. If I see toiletries, soups, beans, teabags on offer I do tend to go over board. (Have 8 full packets of 240 Tetley tea bags in kitchen... but they were BOGOF). Will be watching out for BOGOFs next time I'm at the supermarket. As regards eggs.... usually buy the ones at morrisons for £1.00.
    YOU LOOK ANNOYED....CLICK YOUR PEN
    May you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows your dead
    PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT
  • Great thread BS.

I'm a self confessed supermarket tart and will flit between Sainsburys, Morrisons and Tesco but do buy these 'Value', Basics and Bettabuy things:

Sponge Scourers
    Lasagne Sheets
    Pasta/Spaghetti
    Orange/Apple Juice
    Sausages - OH loves the cheapie ones :eek:
    Condiments
    Tinned Toms

I hated:

Value Stuffing - dry and never browned off in the oven
    Frozen Peas - hard as bullets when cooked as little as possible.

OH is a brand snob so I shop in places like B&M and local bargain shops to get branded choccies, crisps and cleaning materials.
    Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!
  • newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say a quick thanks to BS for this thread.

Need to find more ways to cut the shopping list and think this might be the easiest way for starters.

Number 1 on the list to try is now tesco value loo rolls!! Have tried lots of others and went back to big brand names, but not tried those :D Hopefully should save me about £1 a week.

Next on the list to try will be value orange/apple juice.
    working on clearing the clutter
  • spiddy100spiddy100 Forumite
    582 posts
    Ooh yes, I forgot the value T-shirts, we all wear them here :) I also use the value jelly, fruit cocktail and instant custard to make 'trifles' for kids parties.

Anyone preparing for the arrival of a baby I can recommend Tesco value sanitary towels and knickers. The knickers especially are 25p a pair, just as cheap as the paper ones and much comfier! The towels are whoppers but ideal for using from about day 2 after the baby arrives.
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • marybishopmarybishop Forumite
    761 posts
    Agree about the Value peas - not nice!! Also not too keen on Value pasta so went back to 3kg for £1 !! Have given up with Value tissues as everyone moans about them - need to use about three at a time so doesn't seem very money-saving! Value flour is great - doesn't seem to get those little crawly things so quickly (don't use it that often) - perhaps they've added a horrible secret ingredient to kill them off :eek: Always buy Value swing bin liners and wrapping foil.

Seem to remember reading somewhere that the Value fruit/veg has a shorter shelf life but maybe that's a good thing - less preservatives or whatever it is they use to keep it looking fresh perhaps??!!