IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Is the term Bus Gate legal?

Options

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    fatbadger2 wrote: »
    Update: have asked to see a TRO for the bus gate... waiting for reply, will let you know when I get it

Thanks all (and no more fighting, please! :()

Thats not going to happen, mikey72 resides on here
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    Thats not going to happen, mikey72 resides on here

Ah, shame.
  • fatbadger2
    fatbadger2 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    muckybutt wrote: »
    Right then...just been down vicar lane and good job as things have changed somewhat.

The Bus Gate road markings have gone - replaced by bus only.
    The blue bus signs have also gone and have been replaced by a no vehicles sign and plated no vehicles except buses and taxis 5am - 10pm.

Imo I dont think its still correctly signed as :
    1 the road marking says bus only
    2 the plate says buses and taxis

There are signs on the lead upto the gate and they are in a prominent position so are easily read, however they could be obscured by buses waiting at the bus stops down there.

I would say someone has challenged this gate before and won hence the markings and signs being changed, id start looking at the pcn and nto when you get it for flaws in the paperwork.

Yes, you are right. I have been told by the council that they changed the road markings to Bus Lane in the past few months (I drove down a Bus Lane but I assumed is was a Bus Gate as that;'s what my PCN says I did). :o

So, where now? Are you sure the mismatch of taxi and bus, and bus only is a reasonable challenge. :D

thanks very much to everyone for the input. Apparently Leeds council has made £700 000 in 6 months from 3 bus lane cameras :mad:
  • Horseunderwater
    Horseunderwater Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Now what would have happened to OP if they had driven down the bus routes in various bits of Cambridge I wonder? (Not so bad on main routes in). Oh yes their car would have either hit the rising bollards or been lifted up by them as they drove over them. The fact that in one place there are 8 different no entry signs in place, one set that flashes has not stopped many fools from trying it on. Even the chap with the classic MG sports car, failed to win his case. Learn all variants of no entry signs and vehicular restrictive access signage and believe me, you cannot go too far wrong then. Oh and did I say I was a bus driver? Cambridge is not the only place with these bollards - many major cities now have them.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Now what would have happened to OP if they had driven down the bus routes in various bits of Cambridge I wonder? (Not so bad on main routes in). Oh yes their car would have either hit the rising bollards or been lifted up by them as they drove over them. The fact that in one place there are 8 different no entry signs in place, one set that flashes has not stopped many fools from trying it on. Even the chap with the classic MG sports car, failed to win his case. Learn all variants of no entry signs and vehicular restrictive access signage and believe me, you cannot go too far wrong then. Oh and did I say I was a bus driver? Cambridge is not the only place with these bollards - many major cities now have them.

Many happy moments watching the idiots on youtube.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, where now? Are you sure the mismatch of taxi and bus, and bus only is a reasonable challenge. :D

It is grounds to challenge as the two are incorrect its either one or the other, you cant have what is there presently as they are contradictory to one another.

Even though its incorrect its dodgy ground to be on just to rely on that alone though which is why I said look further into the wording on your ticket / nto.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, you are right. I have been told by the council that they changed the road markings to Bus Lane in the past few months (I drove down a Bus Lane but I assumed is was a Bus Gate as that;'s what my PCN says I did). :o

thanks very much to everyone for the input. Apparently Leeds council has made £700 000 in 6 months from 3 bus lane cameras :mad:

Pepipoo, that's where:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

HTH
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • fatbadger2
    Options
    ....Learn all variants of no entry signs and vehicular restrictive access signage and believe me, you cannot go too far wrong then.....

Looking where I'm going and watching out for pedestrians and cyclists is my priority over looking at all the pandemic of street sign vomit that litters our towns. Sorry :D
  • ManxRed
    ManxRed Posts: 3,530 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2012 at 10:23AM
    Options
    There's been rather an influx of self-righteous types on here lately. I'm surprised they even hang about on places like this, their advice appears to be along the lines of 'get a time machine, go back in time, abide by the rules, and then you won't have a problem that you need advice on in the first place. You scumbag.'

Or similar. Presumably these are people who know everything (they certainly appear to adopt that attitude) and have never made a single mistake in their lives.

Their advice is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard.
    Je Suis Cecil.
  • fatbadger2
    Options
    The original appeal I submitted online says they aim to respond in 10 working days. That has passed. Is that any grounds for cancelling? Or is that too much like an easy way out?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure