IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Is the term Bus Gate legal?

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,242 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    No problem. Glad you sorted the op out in the end. Do you suggest he just bins the ticket, as it obviously isn't legal? Or purely base his defence on your unchallenged and obviously well worded argument that will assure him an unequivocal win? Just off for a jog now in fact. I’ll leave you basking.

No we suggested the OP goes to pepipoo where they will advise him/her further. Many bus gate cases are won on there along with any other contravention you care to mention - almost all are appealable and certainly worth trying.

Obviously an informed person does not BIN a Council PCN, instead one WINS the case!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2012 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    No we suggested the OP goes to pepipoo where they will advise him/her further. Many bus gate cases are won on there along with any other contravention you care to mention - almost all are appealable and certainly worth trying.

Obviously an informed person does not BIN a Council PCN, instead one WINS the case!

An excellent suggestion, where hopefully the op will get the advice they NEED regarding bus gates.
  • mikey72
    Options
    muckybutt wrote: »
    I love hitting that :spam: button, hopefully the forum team will clear this thread up as requested

I couldn't disagree really. Far too much offensive language tbh.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :lipsrseal :doh: :wave:
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • mikey72
    Options
    Did you look at bus gates on pepipoo by any chance yet? Or found the official markings?
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A bus gate is normally to restrict access to a particular road, it's often only an offence to drive past the bus gate. It's normally signed by a round blue sign with a picture of a bus and a white rectangular sign saying something like "Except buses" or "Except Local Buses"

The offence is basically ticketed if the car is seen approaching the sign, failing to comply and then continuing.

The above is assuming it's London

This is dealt with by offence code 33 in London which I believe is a local law.
  • mikey72
    Options
    It's rolled out nationwide now.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fatbadger2 wrote: »
    Hi

I accidentally drove into a lane labelled 'bus gate'. Pure accident as I was lost... tho I must be PUNISHED for my crime !!!:mad:

I was just wondering if that term is in fact allowed to be printed on the road instead of bus lane? :cool:

Also, this bus gate forked from a main road, so do the council still have to display a warning sign that there is a bus lane ahead, or is that just when the lane is on the left hand side of an existing road?

Ta very much :p

Right then from the start, being as one particular poster cant get their head around things.

If the road was actually marked BUS GATE then the council have to have authorisation from the DFT to use the term, as stated previously the regs do not allow any different variations, see diagrams 1048 - 1048.4 you will clearly see permitted varients : NONE so without authorisation the road markings would be non compliant and a win if it went to adjudication.

The bus gate has to be clearly signed with signs before the start of the gate with the sign 953 and road markings to 1048 1048.4, if it is incorrectly signed then again it would be a probable win at adjudication.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,242 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    It's rolled out nationwide now.

I suspect you work in a job connected with a Council's Parking Services, which is why you play Devil's Advocate on this board and try to suggest that we are saying something we are not (that people should park where they like). You know full well that's not what this board is about but you still try.

Dunno why you would have a problem us exposing the PPC extortion model though.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • fatbadger2
    fatbadger2 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Update: have asked to see a TRO for the bus gate... waiting for reply, will let you know when I get it

Thanks all (and no more fighting, please! :()
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure