PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing potatoes

Options

Comments

• Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    rb80 wrote: »
    I've been lurking in Old Style for a while and have learnt that the freezer is your friend! I have some new potatoes (uncooked) which go off today and I won't be able to use today or tomorrow. Can I freeze them? If so should I cook them first and them freeze them? Thanks

Potatoes last a long while, well after the date on the pack.

If you are saying they are going off because of the quality then best added to a dish (meat, veg etc) and cook before freezing.
    If they are in good condition I would blanch for 3 - 5 minutes allow to go cold then freeze them.

Cooked potatoes make the best candidates for freezing. Raw potatoes can be frozen with mixed results, but may develop a watery or grainy texture during freezing.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • rb80
    rb80 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks - I shouldn't be such a slave to sell by dates. They date is today but if leave them for a few more days and I'm sure they will be fine.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Sorry I should have seached for previous posts on this!! There's so much info on here I dont know where to start :)

First place to start is not to believe what is says on best before or use by dates. Use your senses and feel and smell and look at food rather than live by looking at a label.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Thanks - I shouldn't be such a slave to sell by dates. They date is today but if leave them for a few more days and I'm sure they will be fine.

Probably be fine for weeks, not days - if stored properly.

Dark, and cool with no plastic around them is the best way.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • Meadows
    Meadows Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Options

Hi, yes Sell by dates and BBF dates are only guides.
    I have potato bags http://www.lakeland.co.uk/food-preserving-bags/F/keyword/potato+bag/product/11972_11969 (you can buy them from many places) which keep the potatoes for weeks.

When you get them home remove from plastic packaging and store (in the bags) in a dry place. No need to keep the bags in the dark I have them on a veg rack next to a window in my utility room and they last for ages.
    I can also recommend the mushroom bags (store in the fridge) and the onion bags.

If you have bananas try http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/product/12159 stored in the fridge they last for weeks. :)
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • dom300186
    Options
    ok so last week bought asdas 2 for £2 bag of spuds now im wondering can i chop some chips out of them and freeze them and roast spuds as wont use them all by sell by date?
    culd i make some mash and freeze it???
    Trying to make big cut backs!!!

:TExpecting DS2 EDD 28/March/2012:T

:bdaycake:
  • girlybags
    Options
    Yes, you can make mash, chips, wedges, roasties and freeze them all :)
    Never say never
  • dom300186
    Options
    wow never thought of doing this untill i saw all the spuds i still have.
    Trying to make big cut backs!!!

:TExpecting DS2 EDD 28/March/2012:T

:bdaycake:
  • xrjtg
    xrjtg Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    It might also be worth mentioning that, depending on how you store them, they could be absolutely fine long after the date printed on the bag.
  • Sorry Couldnt help it but my spuds are freezing at the moment bloody english Weather.
    A penny saved is a penny earned.
    The less you spend the more you have.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family