Options

Comments

• refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    badger09 said:
    Kim_13 said:
    On this, how should one deal with a fixed provider with whom the default is to reinvest into an unwanted new fix? Submit instructions for an Easy Access rather than just specifying maturity date on a transfer request, as otherwise a penalty might be applied if the ISA has rolled over before the transfer is actioned.
    Safest would be to elect for EA on maturity. And keep copies of instructions to both old & new providers😉
    This is the method I've always used and I've never had an issue as a result. If you stick to banks that transfer ISAs electronically, then subsequent transfers from the EA or 'maturity' account are usually fairly quick and even if you wait until after maturity to request the transfer, the loss of interest (compared with arranging a transfer in advance in an attempt to go directly from fix to fix) is minimal. 

The only instances where this approach isn't possible is when the original ISA provider doesn't offer either an easy access account option or a default 'maturity' (essentially easy access) ISA account for the maturing fix to convert into (eg. UBL etc). In those circumstances, you're reliant on both providers to deal efficiently with transfer requests made in advance of maturity and this doesn't always work out, judging by various threads here. I tend to avoid such providers - luckily though, they're in the minority.
    2010 Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was hoping to do a partial transfer from a Shawbrook EA ISA to another provider.
    None of the money is from the current tax year.
    I have found the following and would like opinions whether it means they don`t allow partials from any acount or just one which has this tax year`s money.

In 2024, it became possible to operate more than one ISA in the current tax year. 
    This means you can open an additional cash ISA with another provider and keep contributing to your Shawbrook ISA.

We don't offer partial transfers, so if you wish to transfer any contributions you’ve made in the current tax year from your Shawbrook ISA to another provider, you’ll need to transfer the whole amount and close your Shawbrook ISA. 

• slinger2
    slinger2 Posts: 154 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2010 said:
    I was hoping to do a partial transfer from a Shawbrook EA ISA to another provider.
    I have found the following and would like opinions whether it means they don`t allow partials from any acount or just one which has this tax year`s money.

In 2024, it became possible to operate more than one ISA in the current tax year. 
    This means you can open an additional cash ISA with another provider and keep contributing to your Shawbrook ISA.

We don't offer partial transfers, so if you wish to transfer any contributions you’ve made in the current tax year from your Shawbrook ISA to another provider, you’ll need to transfer the whole amount and close your Shawbrook ISA. 

The last sentence is confusing but my understanding is that they don't for partial transfers even for "old" money. Not sure what their EA ISA offers? Not flexi, not the best interest rate.
  • CuparLad
    CuparLad Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    2010 said:

If you take it all together, they're saying that they allow you to subscribe to multiple ISAs in the current tax year, but if you want to transfer out your current tax year subscriptions, you have to transfer the lot.
    2010 Posts: 5,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 April at 5:18PM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Phoned Shawbrook and partial transfers are allowed from EA cash ISA.

Hesitated phoning because of long delays but surprisingly got an adviser within 3 minutes near 5pm.
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Does anyone else other than Shawbrook and Lloyds allow you to add to a fixed rate ISA once opened?  Looking to start this year's ISA with a £10k payment and debating my options and whether to put £3k in the new Lloyds 1 year fix at 4.60% and the other £7k in the existing 5.5% Lloyds member fixed ISA which matures at end of July to utilise the better interest and so I have somewhere to transfer my existing Lloyds to when it matures or just put the whole £10k in the existing Lloyds or whether to put elsewhere and worry about the rates when my Lloyds comes to maturity?  I can't add any more to Shawbrook even though the 5.83% rate I have is better as I am almost at the FSCS limit.
    Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Options
    Kent Reliance I believe.

Aren't Lloyds one of the providers only allowing customers to contribute to one Cash ISA with them per tax year, so they could prevent an addition to the 5.5% if the 4.6% had already been taken.
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,559 Forumite
    Options
    Kim_13 said:
    Kent Reliance I believe.

Aren't Lloyds one of the providers only allowing customers to contribute to one Cash ISA with them per tax year, so they could prevent an addition to the 5.5% if the 4.6% had already been taken.

I rang Lloyds earlier today and they said I could open the new one with £3k and add the £7k to the existing one and then transfer on maturity and continue to add if I wish for the rest of this year's ISA so already checked that is ok.
    I had issues with Kent Reliance in the past so think I will stick with Lloyds. 
    Thanks for responding

Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 20 April at 12:05AM
    Options
    akh43 said:
    Does anyone else other than Shawbrook and Lloyds allow you to add to a fixed rate ISA once opened? 
    Barclays also allow you to pay into their 1 year and 18 month flexible cash ISAs throughout the duration of the fixed rate period, which can include multiple tax years if required. Transfer-in requests are limited to the first 30 days.
  • nomorekids
    nomorekids Posts: 416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 April at 7:08AM
    Options
    Rate increase for Shawbrook 2 year fixed issue 81, 4.61%   
    If you want to be rich, never, ever have kids ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback