Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    If you look at the main article on MSE you may get some better suggestions. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa#fixed

Nah, the first post in this thread is updated more frequently and is a much better source of info than the official MSE article.
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    meanscot wrote: »
    My Bank of Scotland ISA Saver 2 year fixed account (paying 3.5%)matures on 12th April, 2012. Halifax is offering to let me transfer into their new Bank of Scotland Fixed Cash ISA Account.

Current rates given for this 1 Year fixed rate 2.25%, 2 Year fixed rate 3.4%.

I am looking for an ISA that will accept transfers in from my present HBOS ISA and will give the best return. Any suggestions other than go with the 2 year fixed option with HBOS ?

Also, is it better to go for a 1 year fix to allow for interest rates going up over the next year.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Meanscot

Hi meanscot,

As you've got over 4 weeks to go until your BoS fixed rate ISA matures, I wouldn't make any decisions yet. Currently, 3.40% for a two year fix is 0.60% below the top rate for this term, offered by Santander's Major ISA, at 4.00%.

When your ISA matures we will be in the next tax year. I expect there will be a number of new ISA deals by then. Keep checking the ISAs available and make a decision nearer to the maturity date.

Whether to opt for a one year or two year fixed rate offering is something only you can decide. When BOE base rate does eventually go up, I think that it will be in small cautious increments, rather than one or two large increases, though no one knows what will happen in the future.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • meanscot
    meanscot Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys.

Will go with what Kazza suggests. :)

Meanscot
  • Nikko5
    Nikko5 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there, I have a Nationwide online ISA issue 2. Does anyone have any experience of success with Nationwide upgrading this to the issue 3 over the phone? (i.e. without opening the new account and transferring formally?)

Luckily I meet the >25k criteria, so the rate of 3.1% is the same regardless, but would mean fixed until Sept 2013 instead of Jan 2013.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nikko5 wrote: »
    Hi there, I have a Nationwide online ISA issue 2. Does anyone have any experience of success with Nationwide upgrading this to the issue 3 over the phone? (i.e. without opening the new account and transferring formally?)

Luckily I meet the >25k criteria, so the rate of 3.1% is the same regardless, but would mean fixed until Sept 2013 instead of Jan 2013.

I upgraded to Issue 3 online a few weeks ago. Very easy and done overnight if I remember correctly :) Just start the application for Issue 3 and you get the option to transfer an existing Nationwide ISA. You need to have Nationwide card account (eg Flex account) to do it this way - not sure if this was the case with previous ISAs as I've had a Flex account for years. Why would you want to do it by phone? :o
  • Nikko5
    Nikko5 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    I upgraded to Issue 3 online a few weeks ago. Very easy and done overnight if I remember correctly :) Just start the application for Issue 3 and you get the option to transfer an existing Nationwide ISA. You need to have Nationwide card account (eg Flex account) to do it this way - not sure if this was the case with previous ISAs as I've had a Flex account for years. Why would you want to do it by phone? :o

I'll give it a go... But I only applied to open the issue 2 during this financial year in the first place. So thought I couldn't open an issue 3 as well?? (Hence wanting to convert one to the other instead!)

I do have a flex account, card etc.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Nikko5 wrote: »
    I'll give it a go... But I only applied to open the issue 2 during this financial year in the first place. So thought I couldn't open an issue 3 as well?? (Hence wanting to convert one to the other instead!)

I do have a flex account, card etc.

Shouldn't be a problem then. Nationwide promises not to offer 'New Customers Only' savings products :beer:so as long as your existing ISA isn't a fixed term product you can 'upgrade' or transfer it online immediately.

Unusually, Nationwide also let you split your ISA allowance, so for instance you could pay £3000 into a fixed term and £2640 into an instant access ISA with them (assuming you hadn't already paid anything into an ISA this year)

Not sure how they get round the 'only 1 ISA in any year' rule - presumably its all held in 1 ISA account but split between different terms and interest rates - but that's just me speculating - I have no insider knowledge :p

Let us know how you get on.
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Bumping to keep this thread on the front page of the forum.
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Halifax have increased the rates paid on their three year and four year fixed rate ISAs, to 4.25% and 4.35% respectively. Both new rates have been added to the ISAs list on the first page of this thread.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the updates Kazza!

I just wondered if any of the lovely long term ISA watchers have any thoughts on whether anything better than the Cheshire BS 18mth FRISA @ 4% is likely to come out in the next few days? I know you don't have a crystal ball but you do have valuable experience. :cool:

The longest I want to fix my £5340 for is 2 years (and I have seen the Satander but would rather not go there) and have done the form for Cheshire but am holding back on posting it with my cheque in case something better comes along. :think:

Do you think that as Halifax upped their 3 & 4 year fixes today that's it from them? Can you see any other players in the field yet to declare last minute deals? Or should I just go with the Cheshire BS?

Quite happy with gut feelings and instinct by the way and thanks in advance for any thoughts you may have. :D

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family