PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Button Jar!

Options

Comments

• Toomuchdebt
    Toomuchdebt Posts: 2,128 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't have one but I have fond memories of playing with my Granny's button box every time we went on holiday.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • jexygirl
    jexygirl Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    I have one!
    I too remember playing for HOURS with both my great grans one, and my grans when we visited. They fascinated me, and i even still have the tin my great gran used! Its a quality street one from about 1930 I guess!
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I will pay jexygirl the compliment of saying that she invariably writes a lot of sense!
    and she finally worked out after 4 months, how to make that quote her sig! :rotfl:
  • Chaos_Monkey
    Chaos_Monkey Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    I have one too, although not conciously....when I get new clothes, I fling the spare buttons in a drawer (not always the same drawer :cool:). I've also inherited my Mum's button tin that I used to play with a s a kid. In fact, I remember sewing on lots of 'pretty' buttons onto the front of my party dress aged about 5.....back in the 80's, so it's possible no-one noticed my improvements! When I showed DH the tin, he couldn't understand the attraction. I think he had a deprived childhood! :rotfl:

I really must make an effort to gather all the loose buttons up and put them all together - maybe that's this weekend's project? :)
    :j
  • retro_bluebell
    retro_bluebell Posts: 1,276 Forumite
    Options
    Yes I inherited my great aunties button box (which is an old tin- think it was a sweetie tin)...also got some of her old buttons in it...never used them they are too precious (sounds daft but I was very close to her)
    **"Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin."**
  • lellypants
    lellypants Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One of my best memories is playing with my Gran's button box. When she passed I don't know who ended up with it but I know my Mum doesn't keep one. As soon as I started sewing I collected them all in a jar in my room. It makes me smile when I start routing through them.
    craft craft craft!
  • narabanekeater
    narabanekeater Posts: 1,892 Forumite
    Options
    Lelly mine to. There was yards of all knicker elastic in my nans and so many cotton reals. As a child I would sit sorting them all out, such nice memories
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got my mum's button tin which we used to spend ages playing with when we were children. It's an old Mackintosh Quality Street one (shows how old it is - from before they merged with Rowntree). I've added my own buttons to it, and the other day my DD2 (age 5) was looking for something to do, so I got the button tin out for her! Simple pleasures really - who needs to spend a fortune on toys? :D
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I also inherited my grandma's button box. It was a tall thin box-bit like a modern spagetti jar-so everytime I needed a button I had to empty the whole lot out onto a tray.In the end I transferred the buttons to a shallow biscuit tin and just use grandma's box for crochet hooks-for some reason I feel quite guilty about this.
  • rosalie-lavender
    Options
    I have three round biscuit tins full of buttons. In spite of having so many, I still find I haven't got suitable buttons when I make something and have to buy some.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,909 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm another one with an 'inherited from grandma' button box, (Quality Street tin again!). Like many of you I spent hours playing with the buttons as a a child. Even now I'm fascinated by the beautiful little mother-of-pearl buttons, the bone ones and the pretty glass ones. It also has several cards of those fabric 'liberty bodice' buttons! Anyone remember those? Gran also kept buckles in the box too...I was amazed to find an old silver, very elaborate, nurses buckle which, with a bit of elbow grease, polished up beautifully....

I inherited her sewing box too which also proved to be a treasure trove with a couple of silver button hooks, hankies edged with Honiton lace, needlepoint lace, a couple of bobbin lace collars, a teeny enamel travelling sewing kit, various thimbles - both decorative and practical....

Ooooh, this thread is bringing back some lovely memories.....:o:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport