PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Button Jar!

Options

Comments

• boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes to a button box[small pink plastic bin in my case] had it for years comes in handy when knitting cardies 4 friend's children,also keep spare zip's in there.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • valentina
    valentina Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I inherited my grannies button box - actually a fabric bag. I also bought a tin full of old buttons from a car boot, I wanted the tin but some of the buttons are really nice!
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Options
    :jI have one too........ a big Quality Street jar full to bursting.
    If I have to throw any clothes away that are not fit for the charity shop I cut off all the buttons and zips and add to my stash :D
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, my name is short_bird and I'm a buttonoholic!
    My problem is buying other people's button boxes from charity shops and ebay:o
    However, I do have my buttons in one place, even though they're a variety of jars and tins.
    And, now one large project is finished, I have every intention of doing something practical with them (Apart, that is, from sitting in the hallway with said jars and tins saying my precioussss! my precioussss!) :rotfl:
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • missychrissy
    Options
    I also have one - mine is a large square old biscuit box. I raided it yesterday for some red with a white anchor buttons to stich onto my pending grandson's red Aran jacket with hood. He is due at the end of May so should fit him over the next winter. I can no longer remember where the buttons came from in the first place.

I can often find just what I need in my box rather than have to go and buy something new.
  • Frugal_Mouse
    Options
    My button tin belonged to my grandmother (she was born in 1887). I have wonderful childhood memories of playing with the buttons, she used to invent lots of different kinds of games to help me learn to count including becoming coins when we played 'shop' :).

For my sins, I also have a growing collection of buttons that are sorted by colour and live in old Bon Mamman jam jars. Looks like it is a genetic.

FM
    x
    was ihn nicht umbringt, macht ihn stärker - Nietzsche
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love my button box. Also, am feel compelled to buy any wooden cotten reels I see for sale at car boots etc. I love old sewing things
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whoops! Forgot to remove my signature! (I usually post on the House Buyer's Forum)
  • lolarentt
    lolarentt Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    Options
    I maintain one as well, and I'm a bloke! My OH just about knows what a button is, but she wouldn't know how to 're-attach' one (or 'sew it on' as we experts call it!)
  • wogglemaker
    wogglemaker Posts: 399 Forumite
    Options
    I'm another buttonaholic. I've just added my mums collection to mine and it looks quite impresive
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It matters not if you try and fail, and fail and try again;[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But it matters much if you try and fail, and fail to try again.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Stick to it by R B Stanfield
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family