PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Button Jar!

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Nice to read that so many people have a button box. I inherited my button (and bead ) box from my mum. It is a little bamboo canister with picture of a deer and fawn under a tree. As I used to sew and knit a lot my collection grew but I was fortunate to be given a wooden box with printers trays and sorted the buttons into the compartments.
  • jayward
    jayward Posts: 541 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes i have my own button tin ,i remember my son playing with the button from my mums tin.i too think its nice to know so many people have a box
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    Options
    I have one too. Apart from the normal 'household' buttons that end up in it, our local fabric shop sometimes sells bags with a random mix of buttons for 1 Euro and that is hard to resist! I often use buttons from my tin to decorate home-crafted bags, wallets and other items.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • Grebe
    Grebe Posts: 5,107 Forumite
    Options
    I have a button bag:rotfl: I love how it feels to squish it about, OMG i need to get a life!!
    The best thing about having a button bag, box, tin or tub is when you go for a rummage through to find what you need and you encounter a particular button that brings back memories of where and what it came from. Bliddy was near in tears when I recently found some of the wee doggy bone shaped buttons that adorned a jacket I knitted for my baby girl 26 years ago.
    "To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill" Sun Tzu
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i don't have a button box as such but in my sewing box i do have a small variety of buttons to use for repair jobs.
  • ANNEGEDDES
    ANNEGEDDES Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    oh yessssssssssss

in fact i have several
    i have yankee candle jars of them, for the mixed ones
    but i have plastic boxes for ones i use lots of
    red, blue, green black & white/pearl ones

but i remember as a child playing with my grans button box
    she had stitch holders in hers and i would thread them on :D

i still like getting them out and having a wee sort through (AKA playing!!!)

I have a cath kidston one filled with buttons but yankee candle jar thats a good idea!! I never know what to do with mine1
    Not setting myself any comp targets this year, didnt seem to work last year!!! £120.98/£2008
    2009/ maybyliene eyeshadow, rimmel polish, loreal foundation, Glamour: hairbrush
    boots card =2625
    quidoco= 110.00
    Thanks to all that take the time to post
  • hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Options
    I am lucky, I work as a cleaner in a play and party center so Im always finding pretty buttons the kids have lost off clothing and I bring them home to add to the box I have and love looking through every now and then :D
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • Chickenbrain2009
    Options
    Yup, I have a button jar, in fact two of them. I think it TERRIBLY extravagent to throw away buttons and they are so expensive!
    I am 58 and was getting my grandaughter to sift my buttons yesterday. I used to go to jumble sales and buy things just for the buttons! You could get some very posh buttons for about twenty p! My friend used to go to jumble sales for the zips!
    Pam
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only button collector here. Like many of you I spent hours playing with buttons (changed days) and although I seldom use them I still find a kind of comfort in having a button box.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I thought EVERYBODY had a button tin, by law :o

I mean, can you imagine having to go out to BUY buttons....oops, I did that this week, but they were pink, blue & pearly ones :p I mean, ordinary buttons.

Currently I have a glass 'kilner' type jar of mop buttons, another with 'pretty' buttons & a tall tin of 'useful' buttons. I also found a button tin in a CS recently - very sad, but I'm looking after it carefully.

I have asked for my mum's tin when she no longer wants it: it is some kind of coronation tin with a young queen & duke of Edinburgh on it, I've looked at it so often I can't describe it properly iykwim.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport