Great Ipod/ Ipod-ish Hunt

Options

Comments

• crispy
    crispy Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    A quick way of saving money when buying an IPOD:

Only get what you will use. I'm guilty of falling for the hype a little and getting the biggest size available at the time. 40GB.

Dont even use a quarter.

You can roughly equate 1 mb to 1 minute of playback so thats 'roughly' about 66 hours of playback on an IPOD mini.

Now unless you really want to have everything on one item I recomend saving hundreds by having a smaller capacity IPOD if its cheaper. £130 ish for a mini is the best option I see.

If you have more than 4GB of music simply rotate what you store on it.

If you do want photos on the move - most Digital camera's have this function anyway. Dont really see the point of IPOD PHOTO...

Quick metaphor- If you live alone you dont rent a house with 6 bedrooms.
    Filiss
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    Options
    Think this has been posted before but if you go through the Apple Education store (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukInd) you get the following prices:

iPod Mini 4Gb - £128.08
    iPod Mini 6Gb - £155.10

iPod 4G 20Gb - £192.70

iPod Photo 30Gb - £229.13
    iPod Photo 60Gb - £284.35

Prices are for students but might be of use to some people.

I ordered one of these for my OH on Monday. You don't have to be a student, I'm a teacher, but the site only asks the name of your school, no other ID - and you get the free laser printing there too!
  • louise1234_2
    Options
    Best price I could find is £58.95 from Expansys

This is as I live in manchester & can pick it up, delivery would add an extra £4.90 ish..

I was thinking of getting a bigger better one also, but then why do I need my whole music collection with me every day??

This one holds about 120 songs. Listening a few hours each day, it would take a while for me to get bored with the songs. I use the computer most days, so it would not be hard to change the songs every few days, so I decided to save my money & get the cheapest one.
  • sydney1k
    Options
    4gb Mini Ipod's - John Lewis (instore and online) - £125
    4gb Mini Ipod's - John Lewis £139 - new 18 hr battery life
    6gb Mini Ipod's - John Lewis £169

Remember you also get a full 1 yr warranty with John Lewis must be worth a few quid!!!!

Personally I'd recommend the Sony MP3 player (NW-HD3) too.
  • coxy742
    coxy742 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Yes we all know that ipod is the must have label but it is all a big con.
    You can get a top notch mp3 for below £200 and avoid itunes, i bought a Creative Zen 60gb (ie 15,000 tracks) mp3 from pixmania.com, very easy to use, good sound quality and ok battery.
    Admittedly the display did stopped working after a few months but Creatives customer service has been great and have replaced the broken one under warrently without any fuss.
    As for itunes, do not use them. The music you download from them is on mp4 and this is not compatable with normal mp3's and will not play on them, plus its over priced.
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
    Giddy up old fella cos the moon is yellow tonight,
    Giddy up old fella cos the moon is mellow and bright,
    There’s a coyote crying at the moon above,
    Carry me back to the one I love,
    And you old faithful pal of mine.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can i just re-iterate this is the cheapest Ipod OR IPOD-ISH hunt. That includes MP3s from other brands. Can't let one hog all the limelight!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe the thread title should be changed to The Great IPOD/MP3 Player Hunt because as it stands it is rather misleading.
  • impecunious
    impecunious Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been wanting a portable MP3 player for ages and, as it's my birthday next week, I've finally convinced the wife that she can buy me one! I don't really care if it's an I-Pod or not, just that it's cheap and in the region of 1`GB. Any ideas???
    If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 6 hours sharpening my axe
  • binary0110
    binary0110 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    coxy742 wrote:
    As for itunes, do not use them. The music you download from them is on mp4 and this is not compatable with normal mp3's and will not play on them, plus its over priced.

Yes, I agree it's overpriced but there is a way to convert the downloaded music to mp3s: burn them onto a CD and then convert them back to mp3. AFAIK there is no other way to convert an iTunes mp4 into mp3 so if you want to play an iTunes track on a non-apple MP3 player then that's the only way to do it.

Edit: on a related note, Apple price fix their iPods so it is usually quite difficult to find them heavily discounted in online or high street retailers. However, one way of getting a significant discount is to buy one from a Dixons tax-free store at an airport. You don't even have to be going abroad to do this: tax-free purchases can be made even on internal flights.
  • stevo25
    stevo25 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    my dad was in the philipines recently and was pricing mp3s for me, the prices were similar to here , but one guy said wait forget mp3 and look @ mp4 ??
    be happy!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport