PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• Brighton_belle
    Options
    yellowdots wrote: »
    Brighton belle, its nice to get the shoes organised isn't it :)

I don't really have a shoe recycling bin too close but do have to ask, are they for shoes which still have some life left in them or for shoes which are rubbish? I feel a bit embarrassed having to ask that lol!
    I believe they are for shoes that have some some life left in them that can be sent to developing countries for use. So I tend to put in ones that are not good enough for a charity shop to sell, but aren't competely falling apart.
    Don't be embarrassed - I wasn't quite sure before I checked:)

I've been getitng rid of shoes since the summer - I just had too many but it has taken a while to whittle them down and 'let go'.
    My shoes now have to fit on the 5ft shelf I put up on our bedroom wall. DH has one too. I know from now on, if I buy anymore, another pair has to go. I have one pair of knee length boots and these stand on the floor underneath.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well, we got the christas decorations out today and have thrown loads away...the ones that lurk unloved, mismatching, veneer cracking ....and lots of the stringy tinsle that's not tinsle but cannot remember what it's called.

No guilt. No dithering, little want to save things.

The tree has the same old decorations as usual ( just earlier than usual for us) and looks fab!
  • Gingernutty
    Gingernutty Posts: 3,769 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weird, I've got a shoe dilemma.

I bought the shoes I'm currently wearing in the NY Sale @ M&S. Some unscrupulous so and so had put a SALE ticket on a full price pair of shoes - the trick hadn't worked and the shoes had gone back on the stand.

With the SALE sticker still on them. :mad:

Muggins here, picked up the 'bargain' pair of shoes, only to find when I got them to the till, they were full price.

But I liked them.

I liked them so much I bought them full price.

And now?

They fit well, they're fine for wandering round a large site looking for stuff and they're smart casual enough for the office.

But.

There's some sort of 'leak in the moulded sole in the right shoe. Every time my right foot hits the ground, there's a "pffft" noise.

Like a guilty little trouser cough. :o

When it rains there's a wet, squelchy, little noise. :rotfl:

The noise ruins it for me whenever I wear the shoes.

I've gone all around the shoe, looking for the leak and can't for the life of me work out where it is.

I've got other shoes. I can wear those.

BUT I PAID FULL PRICE! :eek:

I feel I should be getting my money's worth out of them.....:(

I'll get rid of them.

Every time I pull them out of the wardrobe, I have the conversation in my head.

Help me. :o
    :huh: Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway... :huh:
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Options
    Cobblers!

And if there is still no hope, throw the FULL PRICED shoes away.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ginger nutty, I was going to say cobblers too.

Cobblers can do wonders and when they cannot...bin.
  • blossomhill_2
    Options
    I had a REALLY bad day yesterday ... finding it hard to be among Christmas shoppers (especially those moaning about how many people they have to buy for), due to losing so many of my family, but braved it yesterday as thought it would be better than a Saturday
    Was on a street with 8 or 9 CS
    Only went in one, a tiny little one
    Looked at the vintage rail ... and there was my late Mum's coat
    It was the first thing I put out into the recycling hopper after she died, over a year ago, - deliberately didn't CS it, did it ahead of all her other clothes because I knew it would be a hard one so did it quickly
    Then I visit a CS several miles from home over a year later and there it is, complete with the replacement buttons I'd put on for her
    Derailed
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • JKJ
    JKJ Posts: 120 Forumite
    Options
    I had a REALLY bad day yesterday ... finding it hard to be among Christmas shoppers (especially those moaning about how many people they have to buy for), due to losing so many of my family, but braved it yesterday as thought it would be better than a Saturday
    Was on a street with 8 or 9 CS
    Only went in one, a tiny little one
    Looked at the vintage rail ... and there was my late Mum's coat
    It was the first thing I put out into the recycling hopper after she died, over a year ago, - deliberately didn't CS it, did it ahead of all her other clothes because I knew it would be a hard one so did it quickly
    Then I visit a CS several miles from home over a year later and there it is, complete with the replacement buttons I'd put on for her
    Derailed

Oh you poor thing, how absolutely vile and horrible. I really feel for you
    Please be patient with any mis-spellings and typos I am officially useless with a touchscreen keyboard!!! :mad:
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    Oh Blossom hill:(:grouphug: how awful and how truely unfortunate when you took such care to look after yourself in the way you needed to and deserved to:(
    I can't think how to offer comfort, probably because there isn't any. I hope the painfulness eases today and you look after yourself in anyway you know how to.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    Options
    Aw Blossom Hill, what a shock for you. Hope you are feeling better about it today. Maybe the shop had sold it before and then it got re-charity shopped, i.e. it may not be the charity shop themselves. I don't know really what could be done to make this kind of situation better. I guess we don't help ourselves by our emotional involvement with our goods.

When my grandmother died, I had to take her clothes to a clothing bin over 40 miles away as my aunt was very worried about seeing people in her mum's dress or cardigans, but felt it would be wicked to throw the stuff away.

I also had a (cheap) old wall clock of hers that she had had for millions of years. It wasn't actually that nice up close (and my husband hated it). I was so upset when it fell off the wall one evening as we were watching TV and eventually decided to take it as a sign that I should move on (not suggesting this about your coat). My husband still thinks it does not have to have such significance - it was just an old clock that broke.
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • lostinrates
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Blossom hill, that must have been A Jolt. I am sorry you had to have that experience. :(.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure