PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hoarding...not just on TV

Options

Comments

• idristhedragon
    Options
    Yes Jo jo that is my Elvis :)
    Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.

£117/ £3951.67
  • alec_eiffel
    alec_eiffel Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    Options
    sjprmc01 wrote: »
    I've been trying to think about why I 'hoard'

I don't make a conscious effort to keep stuff, I'm good at throwing away packaging and knowing when stuff needs getting rid of, however I have a serious amount of disorganisation in my life!

I think I must have felt deprived when young, even though I technically wasn't, I didn't have all the 'in' things like all the kids I aspired to be

I've never been a tidy person, never ever!

I don't actually like mess and clutter but when I do something it has to be done to perfection however when I try to sort the place out I flit from thing to thing and never actually finish one thing I've started

Smetimes I just think there is more to life than housework (I know what I have to tackle is so much more than just 'housework' but you know what I mean)

My mess however does get in the way of things, it means I can't find a lot of things when I need them (despite them supposedly having places to be) and means a lot of the time I'm rushing around and chasing my tail

Today I've done no de richarding I wrapped some Christmas presents (after pulling all of them out) and then had to find hiding places for them again!

I've never been tidy either. My room when I was young was tiny and things would pile up until I would be walking on a two foot high pile of stuff then I'd spend a weekend tidying it, it would be "perfect" I'd use one thing and it would all fall apart again. That was before I started keeping things. Perfectionism is what stopped me from doing anything - there was never enough time, I needed that one thing that would make everything better etc. So nothing got done.

There is more to life than housework, there's a magical time where the seesaw tips and housework is all of a sudden something you do as a result of what you've been doing during the day not instead of doing things during the day. There is a time where certain things are just something you do as a part of your day without having to think about them. Like paying off a debt, it's not an amazing day where there's a ticker tape parade or a sexy lady jumps out of a cake it's just a day where you don't think "oh **** not that again".
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    As a minimum please at least write "friend" in soft pencil (always pencil) lightly on the back, in case you don't get around to disposing - this will save anyone in the future from anguishing over which family member they might be

DD has old photos of B/W people she has bought at bootsales - she "rescues" them and keeps them cherished

Good point, blossom, I don't want anyone in 30 years time having to worry about what was important at what wasn't, after I've gone!

I must admit, I bought some old photos at a charity shop a few years ago. They are Edwardian/WWI. I just couldn't bear the thought that the people might be thrown away! I did recently sell a few on eBay at slightly more than I paid for them. which is where I got the idea of selling the 'friends'.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Sometimes local newspapers print old photos with a sort of Does anyone know these people/ this occasion? questions. Often it turns out that someone does. If you have a particularly-quirky pic maybe this would be an option?

I've just bagged up some pix for a friend as I'm the one behind the camera and she's the one in the shots, so I am sure they'll mean more to her than to me (she's a tiny dot in action shots, not much of a keeper from my POV as being able to recognise her, but she might like pix of her daring activities).

Anyway, I'm telling her if she doesn't want them she can bin them if she likes.

I think the trick to giving stuff is to release all sense of curiousity about how it ends up, esp if giving stuff to someone you know. Otherwise, they don't feel that they own it and can end up feeling that they have to tend it and keep it when that may not be what they wish. I'm particularly chary about giving people decorative display objects as those are very personal choices. If you give them a consumable, then it's used and gone.
    Just having a little sort out and have decided something can go, but rang Mum first as it was something I'd persuaded her to let me have, to see if she wanted it back? Nope, so it can go to the c.s. with her blessing. I'm going through those Gift Aid stickers like nobody's business.........:rotfl:

Quick Q; I am allowed to dispose of a solitary Bonne Maman jam jar, aren't I? Even if it has a pretty red and white gingham lid?
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes, do it
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • yellowdots
    Options
    Hello again everyone ... sorry to generalise there but if I strarted to reply to every single post I would not be tackling any 'stuff'.

Am very sorry to hear about your cat Jojo xx

Haha yes GreyQueen get rid of the jam jar :) - if ever you need another jam jar they aren't too hard to come by hehe. The charity shop might like it, I'm sure there are plenty of people who could make use of it.

Its funny isn't it how its difficult to get rid of something like that. In my week off work to declutter I was humming and arhhing over a varnished cardboad egg shape in two halves which fitted together, and which had previously had an easter egg in it, years ago! The reason for the dilemma was because it was decorated with such cute and pretty images :D - it did finally go into the recycling.

Well I have achieved something tonight which I have left since around July-time and it only took half hour. I re-arranged my bedroom in the summer and enjoyed the 'space' so much I determined not to put anything back in which wasn't necessary. So my shoes were still in 2 black bin liners - apart from the ones I wear most often.

Took the plunge and got some of those plastic shoe boxes off ebay and stacked them half way up the wall and I can't believe how much neater it looks. Ok so they aren't very pleasing to the eye lol. 2 pairs of boots will live in the hallway for the winter months. So all I have to do now over the weekend is decide what I'm going to do with another 3 pairs of boots and 6 pairs of shoes which I probably haven't worn for over a year. 1 pair of favourite shoes (not worn for years either) will have to be binned as the suede has ruined and is crumbly. :o

Bit by bit over the past couple of weeks I have also managed to empty and clear that box which had resided in my kitchen for over a year too :j although there is a small bag of stuff which is a bit difficult for me as it contains a few dressmaking patterns which belonged to my deceased mother and which I have kept since she died when I was 12. I am allowing myself to keep them a bit longer for now but not sure why I find it difficult still.

Goldiegirl I really admire the way you are dealing with your loss xx
  • yellowdots
    Options
    ps ... don't let me keep this pile of undecided shoes and boots in my room for months! lol
  • yellowdots
    Options
    Just catching up on the thread.

lostinrates I just read about you getting rid of a couple of rusty baking tins. I got rid of a few in the summer, ones which I had faffed around with making a decision over and I haven't missed them at all.

It really is the decison which holds things up I think. Once a decision is made it feels quite liberating!

imataloss I sympathise about your overflowing garage :) its so easy to get to that stage. My eldest has left home but is reluctant to take things and is happy to store stuff here but I am starting to get really firm about it. A bit easier for me as he doesn't live far so recently have been putting a few bits and pieces in the boot and driving it over and handing it to him on the doorstep. :rotfl:

Sending positive 'sorting out' vibes to you all :beer:
  • Brighton_belle
    Options
    Ah yellow dots, I've had a mini shoe day too. I finally posted 2 pairs of shoes into the shoe recyling bin on the way to work. They've been hanging around for months. I have another 3 pairs to get rid of - probably to a charity shop.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • yellowdots
    Options
    Brighton belle, its nice to get the shoes organised isn't it :)

I don't really have a shoe recycling bin too close but do have to ask, are they for shoes which still have some life left in them or for shoes which are rubbish? I feel a bit embarrassed having to ask that lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure