Hurrah! Embarking on a money saving adventure.

Options

Comments

• *mudangel*
    *mudangel* Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Davenport, yes, I think an annual payment is best so will probably go for that and get it paid in one hit.

I love that my husband and I have separate finances. I pay a certain amount into his account each month for the mortgage, we know what each others outgoings are, budget for big spends together, so it just works. My parents have had a similar set-up for nearly 40 years and it's worked for them.

Katie, good luck with the odd jobs. Strangely satisfying to get them ticked off! Definitely cutting back on the grocery spend makes a big difference. Let us know how you get on!

Went and shopped at Morrisons. Didn't realise I should have brought a £1 for a trolley. Had no change, so I ended up trying to cram everything into a basket. Ugh! It weighed about 50kg by the end. Anyway, meant I needed absolutely no restraint in avoiding the wine - my arm would have fallen off if I'd tried to carry anything else. Will definitely go back - prices on some stuff were cheaper, but the unexpected benefit was having less stuff to be tempted to buy. The Tesco I normally use is HUGE, sells all kinds of stuff, so it's so easy to get bewildered into buying all kinds of junk.
    Just bought a new house with the help of this site! :D
  • davenport151
    davenport151 Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    V. true Mudangel. If you know the store its easy to avoid unnesscary isles. Our nearest Tesc's is a largish store but thankfully not an extra. I did attempt a weekly shop in one of those once!
    The first year i attempted to pay my insuraance in one go it was difficult but now I put a certain amount by for such occasions. This covers Car insurance, MOT and service plus any unexpected repairs. So each month there's an emergency fund there.
    Back on the trains again!

• Katie_Cash-Strapped
    Options
    We have a Tesco Extra pretty much on our door step, which is handy but too tempting....usually get herded past the clothes and house hold bits by OH. I am getting better at sticking to my list. Sounded a bit of a nightmare with the basket in Morrisons. I've learnt the hard way and now keep a trolley coin on my key bunch as don't always carry cash.

The odd jobs have gone well...ish. One of our jobs was to get back a spare wardrobe that we had stored in OH's parent's garage for a while. Plan is to use it to store our coats and free some room in under stairs cupboard so we can make better use of that space. We should have really taken it apart and re assembled in the spare room, but instead wrestled with it all the way up the stairs and have taken big chunks of gloss off the bannister...so have now created another job :mad:.

Thought I'd take a break from that and have a look on the OS thread to get some meal planning ideas (will keep you posted on how it goes), but thought i'd pop in to see how you were both doing first ;)
  • davenport151
    Options
    Ahh Katie. How often it happens to me when something like that gets done but manage to create another job out of it!

I always feel really smug when I go into our local Mr T's and walk straight to the veg dept.
    Must visit the os thread myself for more inspiration.

Hope you and Mudangel are on a very money saving weekend!

• *mudangel*
    Options
    Morning! :)

Katie, well done on the odd jobs. Gah, it's always the way that you make more work for yourself, isn't it? Still, those little jobs all add up.

Spent the grand sum of £31.93 over the weekend. That seems a lot now, but last month that would have happily fallen unnoticed and unaccounted from my bank account, so my thinking is definitely heading the right way. Virtually all of the money was big shop for groceries - bulky buys and stuff I don't normally get, but will last us an age. (I hope.) Think I'll head in and try Aldi next Saturday as we're in the right part of town. Party never ends in our house, eh?! :)

Couple of lessons learned over the weekend:

Firstly, if you sell stuff on eBay, don't let the listing finish during an England match. I was woefully disappointed with how little I got for a couple of items yesterday, but probably not as disappointed as England fans. Anyway, nice that the buyers got absolute bargains and they sound delighted. I'm owed some good eBay karma now.

Secondly, never take all your curtains down at the same time if you want to paint batons. I've spent the last two days crouching right down on the floor to get changed - no privacy whatsoever. Nightmare.

Bedroom almost entirely decluttered. Woohoo! Even better, it's inspired the husband to get rid of some of his old tat. Quite why we have a broken printer is the wardrobe is anyone's guess.

Will set myself some targets this week when I get a mo - busy day at work beckons.

Happy (thrifty) Monday y'all! :)
  • davenport151
    edited 25 June 2012 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Thanks for the tip re curtains! Need to change batons at some point so shall do them one at a time!

Well done on the weekend spend. Double well done on the bedroom decluttering!

Must start on mine now...

• Former_MSE_Forum_Manager
    Options
    *mudangel* wrote: »
    Im set to be £220 a month better off without really lifting a finger

But you made the decision to lift that finger and get things working, and that's the important step that makes all this work. So often the concept of "sorting your finances" is so vast and multi-faceted, that it seems impossible. But small, patient steps = big results over time.

Well done with your efforts (and to others doing similar), this is exactly what MSE is about.

(If you spot a penalty taking book on your eBay travels, can you please post a copy each to A. Young, Old Trafford area and A. Cole, Chelsea area? Thanks....)

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • *mudangel*
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, Forum Manager! Believe me, taking small, patient steps is made a lot easier with the resources and support available through this site. :)

Last couple of days have been... challenging. We're at the start of a huge work project which should finish in November. It's going to be rewarding, but exhausting is in the meantime. Today I feel headachy, fatigued and flat. And as I type it's not even 10am. Times like this are draining on my willpower, so I'm going to have to do my best to keep focussed on what I'm going to achieve through sticking to my goals.

I've done okay on spending (or rather not spending) despite the busy schedule. I've not had a no-spend day, but Monday was an 'essential spend only' day - had to get the bus, so that cost £6.40. Yesterday, I caved in slightly and bought the bottle of wine we'd been planning on buying on payday (which is tomorrow). I kind of justified this to myself because husband had to go to Tesco anyway and it means we won't go to Tesco on Thursday, which is good because I won't be tempted dip into any newly paid funds. However, whichever way I cut it, I have to admit that after a tough couple of days I fancied a drink. I didn't wholly enjoy it, because I felt I'd not fully earned it by waiting till payday.

Also, I did let myself down a bit by buying a bottle of water for £1.75. Always get thirsty when I go to London with work, so should have prepared by taking some water with me.

Anyway, minor sins, so I'm not going to beat myself up. A lot of good things have been achieved. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I should finish the month without dipping into my overdraft. That's awesome! I think if/when I change bank account, I'll ask not to have an overdraft facility - if it wasn't there, I wouldn't use it.

Moreover, the slight wobbles on the willpower / preparation have just made me more determined to stay on track. I've come so far in the last three weeks and I'm enjoying this.

Have worked out all next month's foreseeable outgoings and what I think I can put aside into savings. That's made me feel good.

Bit of an odd challenge to myself this week. It's to spend some time doing the things which are important to me. I'm giving so much of myself to work at the moment, then cooking meals for the family and doing house stuff when I get home that I've not had a lot of time to do the things which make me feel good. So, I'm going to stop slacking off on the running. Normally, I'd clock up a fair few miles a week, run with my club, do some races - it's my thing... Lately, I've felt too busy to do anything and that leaves me feeling a bit pants. Back up and out in the mornings then. :)
  • davenport151
    Options
    Hi Mudangel - Thats the thing- minor sins. I always think are they worth fretting over? - No! Move on, lesson learnt.
    Always a good idea to promote something for yourself. I find especially at the age my son is now (13). He's more independant, will head off to meet his friends. We have our days out together which we enjoy-he's into trains so we get to go to all sorts of places.
    So beyond that my passion is nature and walking and i'm really making an effort to do this for myself.
    Congrats on the month finished with no dipping into the overdraft.

• *mudangel*
    Options
    Thanks, davenport. Yes, so nice to have quality time with the family, but also time to yourself. With you on the nature and walking front - especially when the weather's lovely like it is at the moment. We've recently started geocaching, which is virtually free (£6 for the app and a charge if you want premium membership - we've not bothered with that). So easy to do. Gets the whole family outdoors. Love it!

Got paid today, so set aside a chunk to pay for insurance and saved £260. Nice to see the amount saved creep up another notch!

Fairly minimal spending today - just bus fare to get to work and back. Not even tempted to shop or spend. So tired from busy days at work.

Very quick update tonight, because I've got bits to do round the house and promised myself I'll run tomorrow. Will report back... :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport