🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Hurrah! Embarking on a money saving adventure.

Options

Comments

• *mudangel*
    *mudangel* Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh, small world, eh? :) Yeah, it's not too bad to get to the Aldi - rarely go to that bit of town, but actually it's not too far from work. Will give it a go.

Shall do Morrisons instead of Tesco for big shop this weekend and see how the prices compare.

Did well on the saving yesterday. No spend at all from me - husband put the petrol in the car, so in the end I didn't even part with the tenner I'd put aside for that. Okay, so I should think of money as a 'we' thing rather than a 'me' thing - hubby and I have always kept our finances pretty separate and it seems to work fine.

Looks like I've got to part with some money this evening - we've a rat (pet one!) who's sounding a bit wheezy, so needs a trip to the vet. Probably won't see much change out of £40, but can't really save on this one.

Aside from the vet, today should be another no-spend day. Achieved all yesterday's goals, so that's good. And cycled to work today.

In other news, I'm thinking about switching bank accounts to First Direct. Loving the £100 for switching and interest on the Regular Saver Account... v. tempting. Still thinking about where to stash longer-term savings to make them harder for me reach, but the information on this site makes it so much easier to suss out my options!
    Just bought a new house with the help of this site! :D
  • davenport151
    davenport151 Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats another thing we have in commom Mudangel! My Hubby and I keep finances seperate - possibly just as well, he has a DVD addiction problem.
    Re; Morrisons V Tesco I tend to buy certain things where I know they are cheaper or if somethings on offer.
    Well done to you on challenges achieved so far.
    Back on the trains again!

• *mudangel*
    Options
    Haha! I was quite glad my husband had quite a stash of games and DVDs when it came to putting them on MusicMagpie. :) Thanks for the support, davenport! It's strangely effective to feel I have to see things though if I've announced on here that I'm going to do something - keeps me motivated.

Was almost spot on with the vet bill last night - £40.03. Also, had to chip in for colleague's birthday pressie which cost £20. I only had to contribute £5, but it all ended up going on my card, because the rest of the team are skint! So, should get £15 back when they get paid next week.

Today was a no-spend day. Oh, how I love no-spend days! :)
  • *mudangel*
    edited 21 June 2012 at 11:08PM
    Options
    Well, the decluttering's going well. Took a load more books and clothes to the recycling bank. Kept back some clothes to eBay this weekend. Stuff already on eBay is gathering watchers, so that's nice. At the end of the month, will tot up how much we've earned from selling stuff we don't use. :)

Changed gas and electricity supplier. Husband manages these bills, but we sat down and looked at this together. Should be over £400 a year saved, plus we get £30 cashback and it's fixed our prices until August next year.

Spent £4.94 on a few bits we needed, so sticking to groceries buget is going really well. I love the BBC's recipe finder - didn't have many ideas for tonight's dinner, but the sweet potato and sweetcorn soup it inspired me to make was pretty darned awesome!

Oh, and had confirmation that childcare vouchers are all arranged.

In other news, sorted life insurance out - checking out all the documents and making sure I'm happy with the policy, but all seems well and had done lots of reading up on this site. Taking control of my finances has really got me thinking and I can't believe how blase I've been about everything! Very happy this website exists. :)
  • Katie_Cash-Strapped
    Options
    Hi Mudangel, I will follow your thread with interest as I really need a kick up the rear. I love reading all the different threads on here, but never quite leap into action - so hopefully your energy and daily goals will spur me on.
    I am quite relieved to hear that you and Davenport keep finances separate from your OH's, as I thought it was just me and my OH that did that, so don't feel so out of the ordinary.
    My goal would be to clear my loan in just under a year instead of the current 2 year end date, so will use some of your challenges as my starting point if ok with you.

All the very best with your journey.
    Kate
  • davenport151
    Options
    Hi Katie cash-strapped. Great to have you along. I'm a tagger along here too but following Mudangels goals do the same for me.
    I'm sure some marriage counselors would have something to say about the finance situation but it works for us.

• *mudangel*
    Options
    Utter pleasure, Katie! And, thanks for the support. I’d originally intended to update this just now and again, but it’s keeping me on track to post on here often – even if I do run the risk of boring people with how much I’ve spent on frozen peas etc.

Can’t tell you how much I’m enjoying the challenge of saving money. Normally, a week before payday, I’d be feeling skint and wretched. I’d be wondering where all the money had gone and praying that nothing expensive should happen. This month is totally different – there’s money in the bank for emergencies, £300 saved and more than enough to live on between now and payday. I feel so much more in control. And I’m spending more time with my family, because we’re cooking together and I’m not forever in Tesco.

Katie, you can definitely pay that loan off! Just focus on how awesome you will feel when it’s done. Once you’ve achieved that challenge, you’ll feel even stronger and more empowered to take on other challenges if you want to. Am loving the accountability that this little savings diary provides, so perhaps you could start a thread too? We’ll be along to give a friendly kick up the bum if you need it. If you don't fancy starting a thread, you're very welcome to chip in on this one whenever you like! :)

Had to add to the outgoings for Wednesday. Daughter went to an event with her friends and I gave her £5 (had nothing smaller) to buy a drink/snack on the proviso that there would be change. She lost the fiver. Gahhh!

Good day today – no spending so far, but might do Morrisons tonight for weekly big shop. List made already, so I shan’t need to deviate. Might be a challenge – I won’t know my way around the store, so can’t make a bee-line for what I need and resist being tempted by other stuff. Also, it’s been a crazy, crazy week at work and I feel totally frazzled. Normally I’d buy a sneaky bottle of red to chill out with. But tonight I won’t - it's nice to drink socially, but I don't like to drink as a stress release. If I announce that here, I have to stick to it.

I need a project for tomorrow. We’ve got some curtain batons in the house which we never got round to painting, so they look a bit rubbish. Am sure we’ve got the paint for them somewhere, so will perhaps dig that out. Oh, and the lawns need mowing. Again!

Umming and ahhing about how to pay for life insurance. I hate monthly payments, because they just chip away and what I have available each month. Although, one annual payment is a big chunk out of what I’d hoped to save next month. So, having a bit of a thinky.
  • davenport151
    Options
    Mmm. I know what you mean about the monthly payments. Try to think of the following month when you will have that amount free again!

• Katie_Cash-Strapped
    Options
    Thank you both, it's nice to come along for the journey. Separate finances isn't so bad, it's mainly non like minded people that find it weird, but as you say Davenport - it's what works for us.

I always have that same thought with paying something off in one hit or monthly. One the one hand it's nice to know it's done for the year, but as you say, it does take a chunk out of your wages. I've managed to pay car insurance on an annual basis for the last couple of years to avoid the charge for paying monthly (driving a shed and getting older does have it's advantages ;)), but things like my life insurance etc I still pay monthly...mainly to avoid the temptation to dip into the money if I set aside an amount each month towards a lump sum payment come renewal. You do what feels best for you.

I think I will be sorting some odd jobs round the house that have been waiting to be done for a while, so hopefully a low spend weekend. The main thing I would like to do is sort out the grocery budget and start meal planning, it sounds like the way to go. I have managed to make sure we are on the best energy deal and have cut my mobile contract and gone to PAYG, so a few positive changes, but the monthly food bill is next. I do have to admit, a bottle of red did somehow fall into my basket when I popped to tesco earlier, so will have a glass for you Mudangel :beer:
  • davenport151
    edited 22 June 2012 at 10:08PM
    Options
    I had to reply to that one katie - I too am raising a glass for Mudangel!
    Good luck with the meal planning Katie. Admittidly I slip into past habits occasionally and need a reminder to carry on with it. I'm sure I could cut back even more with a little effort.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family