Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 83

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 4 June 2012 at 12:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 126.7K views

Replies

• craigywvcraigywv Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    :T
    18 Nicky are £3.99 or 9 pack for £2 (not much difference!)

I find the 18 packs easier to stack so always go for them (but do only go to HB every 3 months so get loads!)

They do a cheaper (not quilted) range - or used to, not looked as don't use them- which were £3.59 for 18 but not 1/2 as good IMHO

HTH
    :Tthats great thank-u!!!!!!!:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Nipped to Mr M on way home from work and bought potatoes (£1.35), green beans (£1.00) and gillette disposable razors (£3.39 - only ones OH will use) - all hadn't been delivered in my Mr A delivery yesterday.

Only other thing I bought was YS individual steak pie (32p) for freezer so OH can have it one night I'm out/having something else. Never normally get to YS shop as I always get deliveries but wouldn't let myself buy anything else as I have absolutely NO space in freezer now I've shoehorned steak pie in! :rotfl:

Discovered today via email that I'm getting £1 more than I thought refunded off my Mr A shop :j (wrong yoghurt as well as everything else that was missing!) so have changed sig accordingly and to take account of spend today.
    Earn £2,021: £0/£2,021
    Save £50x21 E fund: £22/£1,050
    Lose 21lb: 0/21lb

SAHM to DS 5 and DD 2
    My savings & frugal living diary
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Went to A!di today as I visited my DMum and DSis. Grand total of £9.52 which I was very happy with.

Got courgettes and vine tomatoes for 69p (super six??), red potatoes were 99p. Also DD loves their Di$co biscuits (6 for 99p). Tinned mandarins x 2 for DH breakfasts, pink lady apples, 2 x chilli tortillas, bottle of water, and 6 x hot cross buns. Sig updated.

Dinner tonight was breaded haddock, hm chips and brocolli - can't remember the last time we had brocolli (used to be a staple in our house), so we really enjoyed it!

Tomorrow we have gammon in batter (thanks Flo ;)) with hm mini roasties and courgettes. Love using lo's to make another meal - so rarely happens in this house oink oink :D
    Cross-stitch WIP: Chicory Fairy
  • bossymoobossymoo Forumite
    6.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nsd today apart from my £3.50 parking. Am starting to make a list tho as the fridge is getting bare...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • sb88_2sb88_2 Forumite
    194 posts
    Thankyou for all your supportive comments! I haven't spent anything since Friday when I did our shopping,

Tonight we had pasta bake, the jar makes 4 servings, so I only used half the jar, and froze the rest for Saturday, I also defrosted some bacon to use in the pasta bake, and tomorrow I will make a sausage and bacon casserole.

I have 4 portions of chicken left, so two meals worth. Think I am doing okay ! I won't be able to go shopping again untill Saturday (hopefully)

I need to start planning better, however I've never been taught how to budget, or meal plan, I have lived away from home for almost a year now (23 years old) and slowly learning through mistakes and reading these forums :) So thankyou for all the help!
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bonglecat wrote: »
    Thought it was going to be a NSD today as I'm working from home and had homemade vege soup in the fridge and plans to make a cottage pie for tea, bulked out with everyones favourite the lentil!! But realised at the last minute I hadn't got any veg to go with it so nipped to corner shop and paid £1.29!!! :eek: on a bag of frozen broccoli as they didn't have any fresh.

BTW does anyone remember a TV show in the 80s (I think) called The (Shirley) Goode Kitchen? I had her book way back (sadly not anymore) and particularly remember an illustration in it for reducing the cost of cooking by maximising your oven use. I was just wondering if I have found Flo's real identity :think: Come on Florenceem admit it, you're Shirley Goode in disguise, spreading the wisdom by any means necessary!! :D
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have a spend to add to sig - dog meal, more branston baked beans and some choccy ice lollies - my treat!
    We had HM wedges, HM ham quiche, baby sweetcorn, mange tout, sugar snap peas & swede for dinner. I made a plum crumble as well.
    Tomorrow we are having HM sausage pie from the freezer as I will be busy packing to go away.

7545365408_a57ec5d94c.jpg

7545366400_1d051deeac.jpg
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • mummyyof5mummyyof5 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry craigyvw...was busy with the LOs but see your question has been answered.:)..I prefer the 18 packs..mainly as they have a handle so easier to carry..I rely on public transport as OH is rarely home...Coach driver in sunnier climates lol...but could only get 9 packs today...still bought 2 and struggled...pram toddler and shoppingxxx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Make-it-3Make-it-3 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Was going past the pound shop today, so a few spends to report. Couple of boxes of weetabix and some toothpaste - my regular buys from there and no other tat purchased so just £3 to add bringing my total for the month so far to £77.49.

I know I'm going to need to go to MrS tomorrow tho,for milk and a few other bits too. Can't believe we're only 10 days into the month, its hard staying on the straight and narrow. The fridge seems jammed full but never with the essentials.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • Sue14Sue14 Forumite
    987 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Florenceem wrote: »
    Hi all - special hugs to those feeling fed up. I have had to watch the pennies all my life - try to be in the mind frame -

It's a great day for being alive!

So many in this world are worrying about whether they will eat today/be able to feed their families - will have they fresh drinking water even.

We should all try - to count our blessings. If you have a roof over your head/some warmth when needed and food/water - you are among the fortunate 2% of the world.

I couldn't agree more, I wasted so much of my time when I was younger wishing I could have things that other people had, but now I realise I don't 'need' any of it and I have everything that I need. My OH sometimes moans about how poor we are, but I say that we are relatively rich as we've never have a day without eating, and we have a roof over our heads, not to mention a lot of things that are considered luxuries, albeit most are second hand or bought when on offer, or we've had to save long and hard to get them, but we have a lot to be thankful for.
    I love anything with cheese on top!

I'm addicted to cheese, hence the extra padding on my body, lol!

£1.35 spent on milk in the local shop today.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs