Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 82

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 4 June 2012 at 12:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 126.6K views

Replies

• jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    keza wrote: »
    NSD here :) (at last ;)) ommellete and chips for us tonight to use up the eggs before they go out of date tomoro!

Don't worry about best before dates on eggs. There is an easy way of checking whether they are fit for consumption without breaking them open.

Pop the egg in a jug of water.

If the egg sinks, it is fresh as a daisy.

If it floats half way, use it for baking.

If it floats, sling it!

The reason is that eggs are porous: they absorb air. The older they are, the bigger the egg sac inside. It is a foolproof method that you can rely on ;)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, actually had an NSD today! That's something (at least). :)JJ that soup looks awesome - I really must give your cheese bread a go.

I sat down and had a long think last night. I know I go through fits & starts where my willpower is concerned, so I've got to take that into account. Small steps, eh? Focus on the positives. I've just counted up the NSDs so far for July and I've managed 4. 4 out of 10 so far isn't bad. I'm happier now knowing I've managed that much even if I've spent a bit more than normal. Small steps.

Tea tonight is just an omelette, although it might end up as a pasta bake depending on what Mr Kitchenbunny fancies when he gets back from work. I don't mind either way. :)

Have a lovely evening, everyone. (((hugs))) to those a bit down or in need. Adelight - hope you're OK.

K xx

• GreenFairyGreenFairy Forumite
    353 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    A low spend today. Seeing as it's payday and I get my teeny bit of pocket money, I bought myself a geranium and two chilli plants off the clearance rack in B&Q as a treat - a whole €2! Put some petrol in the car as well. Entirely avoided spending any dosh on grocery-related items. Wahoo!

Forgot entirely that I have to meet friends in town this evening though. A very early dinner for us then, to avoid the lure of fast food outlets later. Hoping will get away with just buying a small pot of tea in town then. The little things really do add up and am trying desperately to keep them to a minimum - feel like a bit of a hermit some days though :D
    GC totals 2020! Jan €341/€400. Feb €401.27/€400. Mar €430.21/€350. Apr €325/€400. May €219.82/€400.

Blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • edited 10 July 2012 at 4:38PM
    katiegirlkatiegirl Forumite
    17 posts
    edited 10 July 2012 at 4:38PM
    I've not been posting much as I've been busy getting things ready for when we move house. I've kept my signature up to date with my spending though and I'm doing okay so far! Hoping to maybe even come in under budget!

I've just been working out my finances for when we move. Eek its going to be very tight for us to save up enough to go to India in February as well. Very, very tight! So will be be an avid member of the grocery challenge thread, walking as much as possible, not buying any new clothes or going out anywhere and trying to pick up a few extra shifts here and there....sounds fun!! Will be so worth it though, I'm determined we're going on this trip because I know I will look back with a lot of disappointment if we don't!

Off to scour the forum for money saving/making ideas, and then after I take my daughter to Brownies I have some more stuff to list on ebay.

ETA
    I'm a bit disappointed I had to throw away a homemade potato salad because the potatoes tasted bitter, such a waste of money, and it looked lovely! Kicking myself for not tasting the potatoes before I made up the salad because it means not only they were wasted but the pancetta and dressing ingredients as well!

Have another bag of the new potatoes but its put me off eating them completely now!
    September Grocery Challenge [STRIKE]£160[/STRIKE] £78.62
    Getting back in control :eek:
    Debt £8,978.85
  • mummyyof5mummyyof5 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Nipped to HB today..had to take DS1 to hospital appointment and its in the same town...short tram ride away but covered by same bus ticket so no extra spending...spent £9....pleased with that as included 18 toilet rolls...should last 2 weeks hopefully x
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • craigywvcraigywv Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    mummyyof5 wrote: »
    Nipped to HB today..had to take DS1 to hospital appointment and its in the same town...short tram ride away but covered by same bus ticket so no extra spending...spent £9....pleased with that as included 18 toilet rolls...should last 2 weeks hopefully x
    :)
    hi hope you dont mind me asking but how much is the loo rolls in HB i heading there on sat for loo rolls and would like to know how much they are as my mum swears by them ............but cant rem how much they were lol thanks.:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • AldahbraAldahbra Forumite
    317 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    liz-paul wrote: »
    Ignore this post - thought I was on another thread....

I have so nearly done that a couple of times
    Susanp wrote: »
    Milk seems to be where a lot of my grocery budget goes, I seem to buy it everyday?!

Buy milk with the longest shelf life and keep it in the fridge. It will last all week, maybe more. Buy enough to keep you going all week.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • BarbedukBarbeduk Forumite
    869 posts
    500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, damage limitation from now on as blew the budget on food and booze for our camping trip. We needed it though, sleeping in a tent in a red weather warning!

Knew I sholdn't have started reading the old style threads again as now I'm starting my emergency winter store cupboard. This will also come in handy when the lovely supermarkets start putting their prices up for basic items in the run up to Christmas. Or am I just a cynic?!

All I need for the rest of this week are mushrooms for sunday breakfast (famous last words) and hopefully the freezer and storecupboards will keep us going after that.

Tonight is risotto with lo chicken and hm chicken stock. Tomorrow the last of the chicken made into curry. Still using up gammon from the freezer for our lunchtime sandwiches, nom.
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • craigywv wrote: »
    :)
    hi hope you dont mind me asking but how much is the loo rolls in HB i heading there on sat for loo rolls and would like to know how much they are as my mum swears by them ............but cant rem how much they were lol thanks.:)

18 Nicky are £3.99 or 9 pack for £2 (not much difference!)

I find the 18 packs easier to stack so always go for them (but do only go to HB every 3 months so get loads!)

They do a cheaper (not quilted) range - or used to, not looked as don't use them- which were £3.59 for 18 but not 1/2 as good IMHO

HTH
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • BonglecatBonglecat Forumite
    220 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thought it was going to be a NSD today as I'm working from home and had homemade vege soup in the fridge and plans to make a cottage pie for tea, bulked out with everyones favourite the lentil!! But realised at the last minute I hadn't got any veg to go with it so nipped to corner shop and paid £1.29!!! :eek: on a bag of frozen broccoli as they didn't have any fresh.

BTW does anyone remember a TV show in the 80s (I think) called The (Shirley) Goode Kitchen? I had her book way back (sadly not anymore) and particularly remember an illustration in it for reducing the cost of cooking by maximising your oven use. I was just wondering if I have found Flo's real identity :think: Come on Florenceem admit it, you're Shirley Goode in disguise, spreading the wisdom by any means necessary!! :D
    My Debt Free Diary LBM March 2010
    M&S Credit Card £0
    £2 Coin pot Holiday Savings £76
    [STRIKE]Debt Free by Christmas 2016 No 131 £9155.73/£9155.73 100%[/STRIKE] COMPLETELY DEBT FREE 20th DECEMBER 2016 :j
    Goals for 2017 Emergency Saving fund £2000.12p/£5000 :o