Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 80

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 4 June 2012 at 12:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 126.6K views

Replies

• PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    NSD for me today. Well, spent £5 at a charity cake and coffee event, but that doesn't count!

Flo - I've always used shortcrust for quiche. Is rough puff better then? I made it yesterday for some cheese and bacon puffs, and can't believe I've been buying it all these years!!

Will need to do some shopping tomorrow, as we are halfway through our last toilet roll, and I didn't realise the handwash was so low in the bathroom (I say low, it's empty!! Don't panic though, we have soap bars!)

Going to go to my friend's house tomorrow evening too, to book our camping holiday for next month. It's only three nights away, but I'm really looking forward to it, as we're going with different friends this year, and we've planned some nice days out while there.

We ended up having bacon, egg, mash and spaghetti hoops for dinner, after having massive slices of cake! Slightly the wrong way round, but it's for charity!!

Need to find £10 this week, as my children had such amazing reports this year, and I gave dd £5 last year for hers, so it's a bit of a trend. Still, they deserve it.

Got two small burgers out of the freezer for my dinner tomorrow night. I have some lo mash from tonight, so I'll do a fried hash type thing to go with them. Slowly but surely using up the bits and bobs!

Night all,

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    NSD for me today. Well, spent £5 at a charity cake and coffee event, but that doesn't count!

Flo - I've always used shortcrust for quiche. Is rough puff better then? I made it yesterday for some cheese and bacon puffs, and can't believe I've been buying it all these years!!

Will need to do some shopping tomorrow, as we are halfway through our last toilet roll, and I didn't realise the handwash was so low in the bathroom (I say low, it's empty!! Don't panic though, we have soap bars!)

Going to go to my friend's house tomorrow evening too, to book our camping holiday for next month. It's only three nights away, but I'm really looking forward to it, as we're going with different friends this year, and we've planned some nice days out while there.

We ended up having bacon, egg, mash and spaghetti hoops for dinner, after having massive slices of cake! Slightly the wrong way round, but it's for charity!!

Need to find £10 this week, as my children had such amazing reports this year, and I gave dd £5 last year for hers, so it's a bit of a trend. Still, they deserve it.

Got two small burgers out of the freezer for my dinner tomorrow night. I have some lo mash from tonight, so I'll do a fried hash type thing to go with them. Slowly but surely using up the bits and bobs!

Night all,

PG x
    I usually use short crust but the rough puff was made and in the freezer so was easier. I am still tired after my marathon sewing session - need to be fighting fit for going away on Thursday!
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Florenceem those quiches look fantastic! Oh and that makes sense about not advertising the supermarkets, don't know why I didn't think of that!

Mr A delivery today, came to £69.89 including delivery and after I returned a substitution and called for a refund on my bag of potatoes that they didn't deliver :mad: why did it have to be the heavy thing that I now have to lug back from Mr M on the bus?!

Happy with the spend as it was a 'stocking up' shop to last two weeks and it's the same amount as I used to spend on one week's shop! Still need to get potatoes, razors and maybe some cream. Hopefully next week I'll only need to get fruit, veg and milk!

Today I made a loaf of bread (sliced and in freezer for my lunches), a batch of carrot, lentil and ginger soup for lunches (5 portions), a batch of scones and chicken stock and then chicken soup made from the stock for dinner. Normally OH doesn't consider soup to be dinner but we were both going out separately and not eating together so it was easiest plan. Plus I left him an enormous portion and he doesn't normally get much meat so he was happy anyway at how chicken-y it was :D
    Married March 2014, DS born Dec 2015, DD born Dec 2018

My debt free diary
  • Hi Guys,

Lots of cooking today, I made hm beef stock in the slow cooker with the free bones I got from DR, a shepherds pie and a new recipe for Chinese chicken with chestnuts. Spends are £160 ish / £350.

Hugs for those that need them xx
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
  • PossessionPossession Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    £27 spend yesterday and I think my budget might be out of the window this month as I'm trying to build up my store cupboard. I'll keep it the same and I won't buy silly stuff but I don't think there's any way I'll stay within it.

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • debbymdebbym Forumite
    460 posts
    ✭✭
    Possession wrote: »
    £27 spend yesterday and I think my budget might be out of the window this month as I'm trying to build up my store cupboard. I'll keep it the same and I won't buy silly stuff but I don't think there's any way I'll stay within it.
    Same here - especially after yesterdays news reports about food rotting in the fields. Going to take £100 from savings for the purpose:)
  • edited 10 July 2012 at 7:32AM
    jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 July 2012 at 7:32AM
    Bluegreen, love the sound of carrot, lentil and ginger soup. I imagine that the combo would work extremely well:T

Well I never got round to doing the summer soup of narsturtiums and lettuce so am definitely planning to incorporate that today along with some of the herby cheese breads I made recently.

Will have to bring in some of the raspberries and strawberries from the garden again. It seems that new ones are ready everyday and the critters get to em if they are not picked instantly.

Kids enjoyed yesterday's fruits blitzed with a large tub of natural yoghurt and a quarter of a jar of honey (I am liberal with it as I just pour it from the jar :o) in the blender. It made a lush smoothie. Will do the same again for supper tonight before they go bed.

A no meat day today but I may have to spend on milk.
    We ran out of whole milk last night so I made pancakes this morning with skimmed milk for breakfast. (skimmed milk is horrible on cereals but ok in a batter ;))

I need to add a small spend of £1.69 as I bought 3 packs of doughnuts yesterday for the kids woodwork class. (They made me amazing little wheelbarrow planters:j). I need to let them fill em up later. I bought 20 petunias for £1 a while ago and they are STILL in need of planting up so some of those can go in. ;)

Have a fab n frugaltastic day, peeps:T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • I'm on track again so far this week with £62/£80 spent so far and not much else to buy :).

On Sunday we had coq au vin, without the 'vin' but with stock instead ;) with a massive YS pack of chicken I'd managed to get nom, nom! Then easily had enough chicken left over to make Thai chicken last night. Also made 2 lots of stock out of the bones and made soup yesterday for lunch then and today. Other lot still in fridge so will do more soup tomorrow. Not bad for one £2.99 pack of chicken :A.
    Pay debt in 2012 #278 £2347/£5364
    Sealed Pot 5 #1713 £78.57 //Crazy Clothes Challenge #97 £79.49/£100
    Grocery Challenge:
    Feb £359/£360 Mar £390/£450 Apr £335/£320
    May £330/£320 Jun £455/£400 Jul £321/£320
    Aug £399/£370 Sep £345/£300 Oct £421/£400 Nov £0/£320
  • SoworriedSoworried Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning everyone, I hope your all well or at least starting to feel better x

Steaks and mashed swede out of the freezer for dinner tonight, I am going to do it with mushroom and onion gravy, swede and chips.

I do need snacks and milk today so I will go out later and see if I can get any YS at the same time.

Yesterday was a no spend day, first for a long time.

Thankyou for the pastry recipe flo, I will try it later in the week :)
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    £1.35 spent on a loaf last nigth as DH was complaining the stuff I'd bought from Mr A at the weekend wasn't very nice. " prescription charges for DH to add to the toal as well.

I am over my target but I am going to do a breakdown at the end of the month (my month ends on the 19th) to see what was spent on what and then I can set a realistic budget for August. It's still a lot less than I spent last month
    PAYDBX 2020 £7,454.29/£9,000 82.8% by Dec 2020
    Target Loan - £493.43/£493.43 by Nov 2020 - SIF September 2020
    Target CC - £1050/£825 by Jan 2021
    Emergency Fund 31.12.20 - 100% - Achieved October 2020
    FFEF 30.06.21 - 0%
    Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 329 (7 in 2019 + 2020)