PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Killer recipe for carrot cake wanted

Options

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use mild extra v olive oil - only buy olive oil in any case. Never had a complaint about the cakes although I did think one tasted a bit funny when I used the stronger extra v oil by mistake - but everyone ate it ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • craftynutters
    Options
    hi it's healthier to add oil than marg which is full of nasty added bits
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i believe the idea behind adding the oil is that is keeps the cake moist. i always add it to my muffins. a little goes a long way :D
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • csarinaknight
    Options
    I have always used oil usually vegetable or sunflower oil in my carrot cake, 5 fl ozs or slightly less, oil is better than marg.... not sure about butter though...............in a sponge cake you can replace an egg with water measured in the shell of an egg, so if a recipe calls for 2 eggs......use one and two half egg shells of cold water, works perfectly.........................

When I make a carrot cake I put the oil and eggs into a jug and use a fork to make an emulsion, add a teaspoon of vanilla and then add to the flour carrot etc. I did cut down the amount of sugar, it does not seem to have affected the texture of the cake at all.............I think if you look f through thr recipe file you will find the recipe for spiced carrot cake I posted.......it makes a great tray bake for school fetes etc if you double up the amounts.......
    September grocery budget........trying for £80, not sure if I will make it though!!!!! I certainly did not last month, lost track of the final bill. Will do better this month honest.

Tesco £57.13
    Petrol £10.00
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    You put oil in chocolate yoghurt cake, and that's top! :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • Shez
    Shez Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    Options
    When I make a carrot cake I put the oil and eggs into a jug and use a fork to make an emulsion, add a teaspoon of vanilla and then add to the flour carrot etc. I did cut down the amount of sugar, it does not seem to have affected the texture of the cake at all.............I think if you look f through thr recipe file you will find the recipe for spiced carrot cake I posted.......it makes a great tray bake for school fetes etc if you double up the amounts.......

Ive done this one and its........ yummy:D
  • icecubequeen
    Options
    As I have a load of carrots to use up and its baking day tomorrow, I thought I would try and make a carrot cake.

have looked online at recipes and all ask for ingredients I dont have e.g rind of oranges, cinamon, walnuts.

Do I really need these things to make a carrot cake? Has anyone got a quick and easy recipe for carrot cake?

I have the usual ingredients for making cakes already....butter, flour, eggs, caster sugar etc. If there is a recipe where i dont need to buy extra ingredients it would be good, but dont mind if I really need to get extra bits to make it (just trying to save myself a trip to the shops!)

Thanks in advance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry everyone, I've just deleted this recipe. If anyone needs a copy please PM me or Kethy
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi icecubequeen,

There are lots of recipes on this older thread that might help:

Killer recipe for carrot cake wanted

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep all the recipes together.

Pink
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    As I have a load of carrots to use up and its baking day tomorrow, I thought I would try and make a carrot cake.

have looked online at recipes and all ask for ingredients I dont have e.g rind of oranges, cinamon, walnuts.

Do I really need these things to make a carrot cake? Has anyone got a quick and easy recipe for carrot cake?

I have the usual ingredients for making cakes already....butter, flour, eggs, caster sugar etc. If there is a recipe where i dont need to buy extra ingredients it would be good, but dont mind if I really need to get extra bits to make it (just trying to save myself a trip to the shops!)

Thanks in advance xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You don't need those things - though I like sultanas in mine, and a bit of spice (whatever you have) is nice, too.

Sandy2's recipe looks good, though I'd use sugar rather than sweetener.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family