PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Killer recipe for carrot cake wanted

Options

Comments

• linzibean
    linzibean Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    Mmm i love carrot cake, does anyone have a decent Vegan recipe? Ta muchly! xx
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
  • heavenleigh
    heavenleigh Posts: 906 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have just made my first carrot banana and walnut cake today :T and am really proud of myself.
    The kids and hubby have been wolfing it down but whilst following the recipe i had to add 6fl of sunflower oil!
    This doesn't seem too healthy to me.
    Does anyone know why i would have to add this and if there is anything i could possibly substitute it for on my next attempt?

Leigh xx
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Unless you;re making a fat free sponge you need to add fat of some description.

You could use rape seed oil instead. That's about the healthiest, other than olive oil.
    :wave:
  • heavenleigh
    heavenleigh Posts: 906 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks hun,
    I think this just shows how new i am to baking.
    Although i have made a few cakes before i have never had to add oil!
    If it is quite common then i suppose it cant be that bad for you.
    Thank you again,

Leigh xx
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • noonesperfect
    noonesperfect Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    No probs!

I love carrot cake if theres any left send me a slice :D please.

There's some nice recipes in this months asda magazine (lime and coconut fairy cakes - yum. Made 12 yesterday, only 3 left!! :rolleyes: :o )

The muffin recipe book I use gives you the choice of using melted butter or oil. I once forgot to put any oil in, they weren't bad but didn't keep well, a bit dry once they had cooled down.

If you're a beginner I wouldn't recommend trying to make a swiss roll (fat free sponge) just yet, they can be a bit tricky.

Happy baking.
    :wave:
  • odds-n-sods
    odds-n-sods Posts: 864 Forumite
    Options
    if you haven't added oil, you've probably used butter.

You can decrease the oil and add an extra egg, or yogurt will work as well, but not for the whole amount of oil.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have just made my first carrot banana and walnut cake today .. but whilst following the recipe i had to add 6fl of sunflower oil!

Congratulations with your cake
    I´m confused about oil in cakes, which is better or healthier to use?
    Can you substitute corn oil or sunflower oil for vegetable oil, or the other way round? What difference if any would it make to the taste?
    I was told one time not to use olive oil in anything sweet or do you think they meant virgin olive oil?
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    if you haven't added oil, you've probably used butter.

You can decrease the oil and add an extra egg, or yogurt will work as well, but not for the whole amount of oil.

How much oil would one egg replace please?
  • odds-n-sods
    odds-n-sods Posts: 864 Forumite
    Options
    Egg for oil = about 2 oz. I think. Applesauce is also a good substitute.

About the oil, you can use any veg oil, even olive oil, just be prepared that if you use virgin olive oil, you could get a bit of flavour from it. Sunflower, rapeseed, peanut, or plain veg oil are all interchangable.

I'm sure I've got a recipe for a cake that uses olive oil with fruit - I'll look for it later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure