PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

dog hair

Options

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another good one is to wear crocs. Stand with your feet about 18 inches apart and slowly drag one foot across the floor till your feet are together. This picks up loads of hair, and is fab for your inner thigh muscles but hard work! :o;);)
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have a Dyson Animal - but like many others above, I haven't found it great. I use a rubber brush, DH prefers a wire grooming brush. We recently replaced all the downstair carpets with wood flooring - and boy has that made me realise just how much hair our two border collies and the cat shed daily. It's really easy to brush up now, but there's masses of it! No wonder the carpets became matted and difficult to hoover!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wow this worked amazingly well, thanks so much for the tip, and it only took me 5 mins to do the lounge, and did it sitting down!!

Kat x

I had forgotten all about this thread, glad that it worked for you.

;)
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Another good one is to wear crocs. Stand with your feet about 18 inches apart and slowly drag one foot across the floor till your feet are together. This picks up loads of hair, and is fab for your inner thigh muscles but hard work! :o;);)

This works with newish trainers too or anything with a deep tread which is clean!

;)

In a weird kind of way it is quite therapeutic, a bit like getting all of the fluff out of your tumble dryer filter.

:D
  • bramble1
    bramble1 Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone got any good tips for getting dog hair off clothing? It's driving me and OH up the wall, love the dog to bits, but sometimes i'm tempted to shear him so we don't spend half our morning brushing off hair!!

Is it my WM or anyone got any suggests to get rid of it and keep it off? We are deep cleaning the house on the weekend, but any other tips would be great :D
    Annual Grocery Budget £364.00/£1500
    Debt payments 2012 £433.27
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Options
    We have this trouble with our Skye Terrier - long haired dog - sheds cream coloured hair everywhere - friends warned never to arrive in black clothes - actually, most friends have stopped arriving at all!

The best way of removing the hairs we have found is with those felt brushes that you buy in discount shops. I think they are called Magic Brushes - they're a red coloured felt pad on a grey handle.

They work by brushing in one direction and the hairs are dragged off the clothing and stick to the felt. The felt pad reverses by flicking a catch so that the pad can easily be used in the opposite direction as well

Have tried them on the dog himself, but they don't get the loose hairs off him directly!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,107 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shearing him/her wont work it just makes the hairs shorter (and even harder to get up). Take it from someone who knows ;-).

A white dog and a dark green carpet proves it :-(
  • Kittendreich
    Kittendreich Posts: 420 Forumite
    Options
    Depends on the type of hair - sticky rollers work quite well with our dog, or in severe cases a wipe over with rubber gloves gets the worst off.

Lots of brishing of your dog too - the more you can get out that way, the less can come out over everywhere else.... Although some dogs seem to have a never ending supply of hair - our friends jack russell is furminated almost daily, but still leaves a cloud of white hair everywhere she goes.

Colour coordinate your clothes & house with your dog also a good idea (our best bet is somewhere between mud & hair colour!)
  • rockie4
    rockie4 Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have a white cat and she sheds everywhere!
    Clothes - sticky roller from Lakeland works well

Furniture - rubber glove gets loads of fur off the chairs and carpets, judst put it on and wipe in one direction

animal - get a Furminator! I got mine off Amazon, they do them for cats and dogs. They remove the loose hair better than brushing, we could have stuffed a cushion with what it brought off the first time we used it!
  • paulwellerfan
    paulwellerfan Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    vac the dog on a daily basis.
    my old dog loved it.
    kept on top of the hair sheding problem.
    credit card bill. £0.00
    overdraft £0.00
    Help from the state £0.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business