PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

dog hair

Options

Comments

• sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have a Lhasa Apso and although they don't moult I cut her every weekend to keep in her trim and there are hairs everywhere.

I found the solution by accident.

You need to buy a slicker brush from the pet shop (poundland have them in too). Basically just brush you carpet with it and just pull the clumps of hair off it when it gets too full. It will of course mean you will have get on your hands and knees to do the job but you will be amazed how much hair it will drag up out of your carpet. :)

slicker.jpg
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    I have a Lhasa Apso and although they don't moult I cut her every weekend to keep in her trim and there are hairs everywhere.

I found the solution by accident.

You need to buy a slicker brush from the pet shop (poundland have them in too). Basically just brush you carpet with it and just pull the clumps of hair off it when it gets too full. It will of course mean you will have get on your hands and knees to do the job but you will be amazed how much hair it will drag up out of your carpet. :)

slicker.jpg

my oh`s dad used to brush the carpet with one of those as well. he took it one step further and attached a sweeping brush pole to it with parcel tape so he could stand and brush the carpet :D
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    loopylass wrote: »
    i have a wonder broom from woolies long handled £5.99 and hand brush £2.99 they are good but a lot of hard work on the short pile carpetsl

i have a wonderbroom (i dont have a dog but i do have long hair that gets on the carpet where i brush it) i always give the carpet a quick brush before vacuming and my vacume cleaner no longer gets bunged up with hair.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    angchris wrote: »
    my oh`s dad used to brush the carpet with one of those as well. he took it one step further and attached a sweeping brush pole to it with parcel tape so he could stand and brush the carpet :D

That would certainly save getting back ache!

:)
  • needtoearnmoremoney
    Options
    I have a long (white) haired german shepherd who moults non-stop. I currently have a dyson animal vaccuum cleaner which just isn't up to the job. After each usage I have to almost take it apart as the dog hairs are wrapped around the roller and tangled up in the bristle.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me please.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    I have a long (white) haired german shepherd who moults non-stop. I currently have a dyson animal vaccuum cleaner which just isn't up to the job. After each usage I have to almost take it apart as the dog hairs are wrapped around the roller and tangled up in the bristle.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me please.

I have a long haired German Shepherd and also a Pyrrenean Mountain Dog so I know the problem. Dyson Animal seems to be very badly named!

Are you washing the filter thoroughly and regularly? This was suggested to me by Dyson and it certainly helps - they even sent me an additional one free as it needs to be washed so often. They're good at picking up hairs when used correctly but absolutely useless with the dust that dogs bring in. Be thankful you don't have cats as they're [EMAIL="!!!!"]!!!![/EMAIL] at picking up the odd bit of cat litter.

Every time I use the damn thing I think that it was designed and named by someone who'd never seen an animal in his life!
  • Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our Dyson Animal is an absolute dream, however our three labradors are short haired and the Dyson seems to cope very well with those.

I suggest you get a stiff, long handled brush to sweep the long hairs all together and then pick the wads of hair up by hand, unfortunately most vacum cleaners get tangled up in long hair (having had to de-tangle the Dyson several times because of my hair.)

Bam x
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    Options
    Like Bamby,above I was going to suggest a handbrush.Lakeland used to do a rubber bristled hand brush which was brilliant for pet hairs.I had six cats and I used one of these and it got rid of all the cat hair and was gentle on the carpets and hard floors.The rubber brush used to remove all the hairs realy easily.
    I never forund a vacumn that was any good for pets either.
  • skintlass
    skintlass Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Miele cat and dog is my favourite - I used to have a dyson (not the cat and dog one) but it couldn't cope - neither could the vax but the miele is great.
    Never let your sucesses go to your head and never let your failures go to your heart.:beer:
  • septemberblues
    Options
    I've got a Petvax, which I find brilliant, I've got a dog who continually moults white hair all over the place! The petvax has a turbohead attachment which kind of whirrs round and picks up the hairs really well, it's the best vacuum I've used so far (have never tried a Dyson)
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family