PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

dog hair

Options
I have 3 dogs, and the hair on my carpet is unbelieveable! The worst offender is the jack russell who has coarse white hair that gets stuck in the carpet. Any tips for getting it up?

I have tried the washing up gloves trick and have given up with the hoover as it is constantly getting clogged up!!
2011- new year, new start.

January 2011 g/c- £150

Comments

• trigger2
    trigger2 Posts: 360 Forumite
    Options
    we went though this a couple of years ago & i ended up buying a brush with rubber bristles - brilliant (but hard work). I think its called a Yellowtop brush & I got it from QVC (dont laugh !). I'm sure i've seen ads for a version by JML. Try googling JML & see if you get anywhere. I'm sure i've seen them at some hairdressers. I do make sure that my hoover (a pets one) has a variable power switch - this seems to help on problem patches. But i do still have my yellow brush ;)
  • PurpleDuck
    PurpleDuck Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    trigger2 wrote: »
    we went though this a couple of years ago & i ended up buying a brush with rubber bristles - brilliant (but hard work). I think its called a Yellowtop brush & I got it from QVC (dont laugh !). I'm sure i've seen ads for a version by JML. Try googling JML & see if you get anywhere. I'm sure i've seen them at some hairdressers. I do make sure that my hoover (a pets one) has a variable power switch - this seems to help on problem patches. But i do still have my yellow brush ;)

We have one of those - lakeland sold them, and wollies do a version, I think its called wonder broom. They are FAB. I hoover the carpet then use the broom and I'm amazed what it gets off the floor that the hoover has failed to pick up :eek:
  • katiesmummy
    katiesmummy Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, i think i remember seeing that when i was last in woolies- will take a look!
    2011- new year, new start.

January 2011 g/c- £150
  • carbonel
    carbonel Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    I too have a little white Jack Russell and the same problem with her hairs. They stick into the carpet and are a real pest to get out, the vacuum just doesn't cope.:cool: The only remedy I have found is what has already been said - use a stiff brush/broom and then vac afterwards. I also have four cats :eek: so with the combination of cat and dog hair I might as well give up or give in and have an 'alternative' carpet. :rotfl:
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    I had this problem and although spot cleaning with wet rubber gloves or using rubber-soled trainers and moonwalking around the carpet (seriously, this works!) got the worst of it up, it did my head in!

Eventually I caved and bought a Miele Cat and Dog hoover and it's honestly the best thing ever. They're not cheap but they have powered brushes which really do lift the hair out of carpets and the suction is great. Major investment but worth every penny, much better and also cheaper than the Dyson, I would never have anything different now.
  • mouseymousey99
    Options
    OH made up Zoflora mix in plastic spray thingie - this works a treat if I spray the carpets then hoover, seems to help it stick more - got a re-furbished 'animal' dyson on the market, it also leaves a nice clean smell.
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a collie, who has the opposite coat to your JRT - long fluffy under coat, but I find the best way to reduce the hair that gets on the carpet is to groom regularly.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • VeryTrying_2
    Options
    I hoover the dog first (with a nozzle, not the carpet beater), then the cat and finally I do the carpets.

• loopylass
    loopylass Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    Options
    i have a wonder broom from woolies long handled £5.99 and hand brush £2.99 they are good but a lot of hard work on the short pile carpets
    Another thing i found was go over the carpets with a scrubbing brush then hoover i get loads up like that
    We have 2 cats and a dog and we used to have lots of hair downstairs until we bought laminate flooring its bliss the hairs lay on the top so you just sweep them up
    Next step is doing all the upstairs in laminate flooring(im saving hard anything to get off my hands and knees every day) lol
  • pink90
    pink90 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    I second using the Miele Cat and Dog. It's really brilliant worth every penny
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport