PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

dog hair

Options

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've got the turbobrush on mine, but better still (hard work though) is the crevice tool, you have to get on your knees and rub it backwards and forwards across the floor.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair, the Dyson works well if you keep the filter clean from dust. I'm certainly not going back to brushing my floors with a brush and dustpanas my mother used to do!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have one an have a GSD (plus another dog) and it's great, cleaning it out inc the brushes regular helps. No point using mine if I don't. She gets rushed every day and I vacuum usually twice a day downstairs throughout then upstairs less often, evry other (she doesn't go there but hair travels on people)

Rubber brooms can be great for areas which need more help with hair or if I haven't vacuumed one day, I used to use rubber gloves on my knees but haven't needed to since buying mine, still use gloves on the car until I get round to buying a hand one.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Tabatha_Kitten
    Options
    3 cats, 1dog.
    Wouldnt be without my rubber brush !!
    I have a SEBO vac which I highly recommend, but the rubber brush is best for sofa/stairs/cat & dog beds/in-between hoovers etc,etc.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    I'll add this to the existing thread on sweeping up pet hair, to keep tips together ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • ashly3244
    Options
    I've been having problems with my boxer/terrier who sheds like crazy! Every time I vacuum there is still hair in the carpet. I just can't get away from it! The other day I found some Arm & Hammer carpet powder that helps lift pet hair off the carpet making it easier to vacuum up. It's amazing! I'm so excited that I found something that works!
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    I have a Lhasa Apso and although they don't moult I cut her every weekend to keep in her trim and there are hairs everywhere.

I found the solution by accident.

You need to buy a slicker brush from the pet shop (poundland have them in too). Basically just brush you carpet with it and just pull the clumps of hair off it when it gets too full. It will of course mean you will have get on your hands and knees to do the job but you will be amazed how much hair it will drag up out of your carpet. :)

slicker.jpg

Mr A has a plastic version of these on clearance at the moment for 25p :money:
    - I have just bought 12 of them (well I do have 9 large, long-haired dogs)!! HTH :D
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718
  • caro100
    caro100 Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ashly3244 wrote: »
    I've been having problems with my boxer/terrier who sheds like crazy! Every time I vacuum there is still hair in the carpet. I just can't get away from it! The other day I found some Arm & Hammer carpet powder that helps lift pet hair off the carpet making it easier to vacuum up. It's amazing! I'm so excited that I found something that works!

Not heard of this before. Where is it sold please. Thanks in advance.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm having trouble finding anything about the Arm and Hammer carpet freshener. The UK site just seems to be interested in tooth whitening and other site just go on about how good bicarb (obviously arm and hammers bicarb) is.

I was curious how the carpet bicarb managed to lift the pet hairs.

I use a rubber hand brush. Tried the JML one and it was rubbish. My vaccum cleaner, an electrolux pet one with turbo brush that died after the second using (the brush that is) is rubbish. Now, I get on my hands and knees with the rubber grooming brush, followed by a dustpan and brush or the hoover.
  • katchambers
    katchambers Posts: 1,129 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    I have a Lhasa Apso and although they don't moult I cut her every weekend to keep in her trim and there are hairs everywhere.

I found the solution by accident.

You need to buy a slicker brush from the pet shop (poundland have them in too). Basically just brush you carpet with it and just pull the clumps of hair off it when it gets too full. It will of course mean you will have get on your hands and knees to do the job but you will be amazed how much hair it will drag up out of your carpet. :)

slicker.jpg

Wow this worked amazingly well, thanks so much for the tip, and it only took me 5 mins to do the lounge, and did it sitting down!!

Kat x
    My darling boy born December 2011

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills