Food and drinks in olympic park

Options

Comments

• Alye16
    Alye16 Posts: 281 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, Visited Olympic Park today (29th) Had to wait for park to open at 7am straight through security, bags were xrayed didn't have to empty anything out we took in some 100ml bottles of double concentrated squash and empty 1 litre water bottles and then made up drinks when we saw water refill places.There were quite a few water refill places in the hockey arena, queues not too bad.In the handball arena I couldn't find one place to fill up my bottle and when I asked I was told the concessions would fill it up but as I had already queued for 20mins to get a coffee I didn't bother.I didn't see any other refill areas in the other places we went in the park.The food concessions couldn't seem to cope with the demand today, the queue to get into the McDonalds building was massive and every stall had long waits.We ended up with sandwiches from the deli £4.40 for a standard beef or chicken sandwich, so I recommend you take your own.I was also told by another lady she had paid £3 for a tube of pringles.We also took in lots of snacks biscuits,tuc biscuits,sweets etc.We had a good day and parts of the park are very impressive, lots of helpful volunteers and staff. Hope this helps someone, have a good day if you go.
  • AlexandraMLondon
    Options
    Quick update on food and drink in the Olympic Park – like Alye16 we went yesterday (Sunday 29th), but for the afternoon session of the basketball.

We took in plenty of food for two people (sandwiches, fruit, crisps, biscuits), and two empty bottles to fill up, and all went through security fine. We also had 75ml of suncream, which wasn’t a problem. No queues at all to enter the Park or go through the bag scanners at around midday. All the soldiers and Games Makers were very friendly and helpful.

There were six water taps by the toilet block outside the basketball arena; we filled up before and after the session, and there were no queues either time. As we had brought in food, we didn’t buy anything from the stalls, apart from a coffee, which was £2.40. No queue either for that.

The Park is fantastic, and has plenty of picnic tables and space for eating your own food. Hope everyone going has a great time.
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the updates. Anybody got any news for water fill ups at the main (athletics) arena or the Lee Valley canoeing?
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • gsc
    gsc Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    if you come through the stratford gate from stratford tube station, go over the bridge past the aquatics centre and turn left.
    Walk past the hospitality tents (parallel to the river) and at the end of these on the left there's a set of taps to fill your water bottles.
    We were there sunday morning and there was no queue at all - not sure what it's like there later in the day.

There's lots of very friendly and very helpful volunteers in the park to point you in the right direction, just ask someone if you need help.
  • gsc
    gsc Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    ...and if you do come through stratford tube, you can get sandwiches etc from Eat or M&S at the entrance to westfield and take them into the park with you. Small or no queues vs the park
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    gsc wrote: »
    ...and if you do come through stratford tube, you can get sandwiches etc from Eat or M&S at the entrance to westfield and take them into the park with you. Small or no queues vs the park

Or do the MSE thing (if you are coming from home) make them yourself :D
  • mynameisclare
    Options
    If the queue for the water fountain is too long, we were told by staff at Eton Dorney that water from the sinks in the toilets is fine for drinking too. I imagine it's the same at other venues (unless it says otherwise).
  • debsjc
    debsjc Posts: 3,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If anyone is going to the North Greenwich Arena, and has a Barclays Premier account they have a lounge there. There provide free soft drinks, and a nice seating area with a big screen. Was lucky enough to watch the cycling time trial in there today, before going into the gymnastics.
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the information about security. Seeing water polo tomorrow! The document does list alcohol among the prohibited items.

The alcohol ban will be to stop people bring in their own and affecting sales.

What is quite nice about the venues (apart from football as it's illegal) is that you can drink at your seat. In fact, at the beach volleyball it seems almost essential.

Yes, the food and drink it expensive by normal high street standards but if you regularly go to sporting events or concerts then it's not too bad and there is a decent range available - it's not just McDonalds. The only problem at the weekend was that a few stalls ran out of food very early as they had underestimated demand.
  • bleenoth
    bleenoth Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    If it helps: Opposite Park Live West - down pathway between Coca-Cola Beat Box and London 2012 shop towards toilets - three water fill-up points with no queues at 11.45am Thursday.

Also another fill up station between stand entrance 222 and 223 inside the Riverbank arena - quiet at half time, busier between matches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure